none
[W8.1] Push notification in Window desktop App RRS feed

• Question

• Hi Support,

While configuring my account for window desktop app to have push notification enabled I found the option given MSDN tutorial are different that I have in this account and I am not able to authenticate any of my app for push notification in Window 8.
    Can you please figure this out and guide me to proceed further with this account.

Thanks 
    Kapil
    Tuesday, June 16, 2015 5:04 AM

Answers

• Hi Kapil - this forum does not support non-Store Windows apps written using ASP.NET or any non-WinRT APIs. Please go to http://forums.asp.net for the correct forum responses.

Matt Small - Microsoft Escalation Engineer - Forum Moderator
    If my reply answers your question, please mark this post as answered.

NOTE: If I ask for code, please provide something that I can drop directly into a project and run (including XAML), or an actual application project. I'm trying to help a lot of people, so I don't have time to figure out weird snippets with undefined objects and unknown namespaces.

Friday, June 26, 2015 2:28 PM

All replies

• Which tutorial are you following?

NOTE: If I ask for code, please provide something that I can drop directly into a project and run (including XAML), or an actual application project. I'm trying to help a lot of people, so I don't have time to figure out weird snippets with undefined objects and unknown namespaces.

Wednesday, June 17, 2015 6:31 PM
  • Hi Matt,

Thanks for your valuable time

I am following below link:

https://msdn.microsoft.com/en-us/library/windows/apps/hh465407.aspx

Thanks Matt

Kapil

Thursday, June 18, 2015 7:32 AM
  • 1) When you say you're writing a desktop app, do you mean an app that you are writing using Win32 or.NET and you want to access the Windows namespace to send WNS, or that you are writing a regular Windows Store app that will be uploaded to the Store for public consumption?

2) Assuming that you're writing a store app, please explain exactly what you're doing to get the problem, and then the actual exception you're seeing.

Thursday, June 18, 2015 1:07 PM
  • Here is the scenario I am dealing with:

I am writing window desktop app with ASP.NET and I am using Parse as database into this and Parse has the ability to send push notification to Window 8 when there is any change in the database. So to enabled push notification with Parse I need to have Microsoft developer account which I already have and I have to create an app which is authenticated with push notification and I have to enter credentials of the app in Parse account , If its valid then Parse will send notification to my app.

So I am able to submit an app with my microsoft developer account but while authenticating it for push notification I dont see the options which are given in MSDN . So I need your help to configure it.

Please let me know if something is not clear to you.

Thanks 
    Kapil

Friday, June 19, 2015 5:49 AM
  • Hi Kapil - this forum does not support non-Store Windows apps written using ASP.NET or any non-WinRT APIs. Please go to http://forums.asp.net for the correct forum responses.

Friday, June 26, 2015 2:28 PM
  • Hi Matt,

I don't want support for non-Store Windows apps  app.

What I want is to configure my account for push notification in window 8 which I am not able to do . You have asked for the scenario so I share the detail and there is nothing related to account configuration.

So please provide the update for things I need to perform for push notification enabled account  for any app.

Thanks Matt

Kapil

Saturday, June 27, 2015 5:18 AM
  • Hi Kapil,

Actually, some steps in that document have been outdated.

Before you can send notifications through WNS, you must register your app. Do so through the Dashboard, the developer portal that enables you to submit, certify, and manage your Windows Store apps. When you register your app through the Dashboard, you are given credentials—a Package security identifier (SID) and a secret key—which your cloud service uses to authenticate itself with WNS.

For the current page, you can submit an app and go to app’s Details tab, choose “Windows Push Notifications (WNS) Manage client secret here”, you will get Package SID, Client ID, Client secret

Note that, perhaps the above Dashboard currently has been replaced to the new Dashboard version, you will find Push notifications setting under Services tab of side bar:

We are trying to better understand customer views on social support experience, so your participation in this interview project would be greatly appreciated if you have time. Thanks for helping make community forums a great place.
    Click HERE to participate the survey.

Sunday, July 12, 2015 1:26 PM