The following forum(s) have migrated to Microsoft Q&A (Preview): Developing Universal Windows apps!
Visit Microsoft Q&A (Preview) to post new questions.

Learn More

How to update the store cert used to submit RRS feed

• Question

• When I created my developer account, I received a code signing certificate to be used to sign the packages to upload.

That cert has now expired.  But I can't find a way to get an updated one via the Dev Center Dashboard.

I attempted to create a self-signed replacement cert using the same subject name (CN=…) and while this works here locally, the upload to the store submission fails as the family name (which includes the thumbprint) no longer matches the original submission.

How do I resolve this?

App-V MVP & CTP Fellow. Author of AppV books: PowerShell with App-V 5, The Application Book, & Window Caching (http://www.tmurgent.com/Books)

Thursday, October 31, 2019 2:14 PM

All replies

• MakeCert.exe -r -n "CN=xxxxxxxx-xxxx-xxxx-xxxx-xxxxxxxxxxxx" -eku 1.3.6.1.5.5.7.3.3 -pe -sv my.pvk my.cer
    pvk2pfx.exe -pvk my.pvk -spc my.cer -pfx my.pfx
    works for me, but then it's good to 2039.  Never got a cert from the dashboard (as individual, not company).

• Edited by el MagicMan Thursday, October 31, 2019 3:46 PM
    Thursday, October 31, 2019 3:42 PM
  • This issue has been resolved.  The project file was corrupted at one point, leading to a few of the publisher digits in the CN from being dropped. The replacement cert I created by hand was generated from the partial CN, so it worked locally and failed when uploaded.

More importantly, I learned that it is no longer necessary to sign the package for uploading to the store.  Since Microsoft ends up signing the package it never made sense to me that we needed to sign it to upload.  Glad to hear that was removed.

App-V MVP & CTP Fellow. Author of AppV books: PowerShell with App-V 5, The Application Book, & Window Caching (http://www.tmurgent.com/Books)

Thursday, October 31, 2019 7:03 PM
  • Hi,
    Glad to hear that you've solved the problem and its appreciated to share the answer here. Having a nice day!
    Best regards,
    Roy

"Developing Universal Windows apps" forum will be migrating to a new home on Microsoft Q&A (Preview)!
    We invite you to post new questions in the "Developing Universal Windows apps" forum’s new home on Microsoft Q&A (Preview)!
    For more information, please refer to the sticky post.

Friday, November 1, 2019 1:00 AM