none
To Split a Grid, or not to Split a Grid RRS feed

• Question

• I've been programming in Silverlight for years. In the Silverlight universe, GridSplitters are excellent because they allow you to spit up content on the screen without moving them to separate tabs etc. and they still allow the user to resize as necessary.

Now, in the Windows 10 universe, things have changed and we have to think about touch. So, I googled and saw this discussion:

https://social.msdn.microsoft.com/Forums/en-US/ae4a798a-f3c1-423c-8d36-01254e7aa8e6/gridsplitter-replacement?forum=winappswithcsharp

I instantly face palmed!

These people are arguing over the validity of one style vs. the other. I don't care. I just want to know, what is the recommended way of designing a UI so that the user can

a) Easily see all of the content divided up nicely

b) Not have to flick to other parts of the app to see hidden content

c) Allow them to resize a work area so that they can add/remove space as necessary.

PS: When I click Windows -> All Apps -> a folder with long names, I not filled with much confidence. The names can get lopped right off so you can't read them, and there appears to be no way to resize to be able to see what the text says. Is this just a hole in the design of Windows 10 UI?

Friday, August 7, 2015 11:59 PM

All replies

• Hi Christian,

As you can see Filip suggested,  WinRT XAML Toolkit should have a control called CustomGridSplitter, you can download the source code and to see how it works.

Or another idea is to binding your splitter to the grid column width property to see if it can fulfill the requirement.

And for the windows 10 usage issue, you can further consult at http://answers.microsoft.com/en-us/windows/forum/windows_10?tab=Threads for a better support.

--James

We are trying to better understand customer views on social support experience, so your participation in this interview project would be greatly appreciated if you have time. Thanks for helping make community forums a great place.
    Click HERE to participate the survey.

Monday, August 10, 2015 9:50 AM
  • A) Does the WinRT XAML Toolkit even work with the Windows 10 Universal Apps platform?

B) What is that link you posted? I don't get it.

C) You said "Or another idea is to binding your splitter to the grid column width property to see if it can fulfill the requirement. ". What splitter?

The question is:

what is the recommended way of designing a UI so that the user can

c) Allow them to resize a work area so that they can add/remove space as necessary.

Monday, August 10, 2015 10:42 AM
  • Hi Christian,

A) Does the WinRT XAML Toolkit even work with the Windows 10 Universal Apps platform?

>> No, I don't see it have the win10 version, that's why I suggest you to download the package to see if it provide the source code, and you can write your own control like how it does.

B) What is that link you posted? I don't get it.

>> You have a "PS:When I click Windows -> All Apps -> a folder with long names" in your original post, that's why I suggest you to ask using windows question at answer forum instead of the developing forum. Perhaps they know how to resize...but definitely we cannot do it via Windows Universal App code.

C) You said "Or another idea is to binding your splitter to the grid column width property to see if it can fulfill the requirement. ". What splitter?

>> splitter can be a control or something else you can drag, there is no existing control.

Anyway, let me summarize my idea, since currently there is no existing control that can fulfill your requirement, I would highly recommend you write your own control, which you can learn from WinRT XAML Toolkit CustomGridSplitter.

--James

We are trying to better understand customer views on social support experience, so your participation in this interview project would be greatly appreciated if you have time. Thanks for helping make community forums a great place.
    Click HERE to participate the survey.

• Edited by Jamles Hez Tuesday, August 11, 2015 1:11 AM
    Tuesday, August 11, 2015 1:10 AM
  • I think I'll just repeat the question:

what is the recommended way of designing a UI so that the user can

Tuesday, August 11, 2015 2:16 AM