none
Subscription Model/Supporting Azure Costs RRS feed

• Question

• I'm not sure that this is the appropriate forum, but I'm not sure where to start.  I've been tossing around some ideas for a couple of cloud-based apps I'd like to create for the Windows Store, but I'm struggling with how cloud-based apps can continue to pay for themselves under the payment models offered.  Basically, I'm wondering how, if I charge a fixed price for my app and the user continues to use the app for a year or two, generating data and traffic, I will support the ongoing, monthly costs for something like Azure.

Is the in-app purchasing feature really the only way to handle this?  Will the user have to re-authorize their subscription monthly, if I offer a monthly subscription?  It seems like a subscription-based payment model would be a great feature, unless there's something missing here.  Maybe the answer is to charge enough up-front, but I tend to think many users might prefer to pay a much smaller monthly fee.

Saturday, August 11, 2012 2:15 AM

Answers

All replies

• Hi Digg1t,

For the following question, please review over our How to support in-app purchases.  Specifically Section 2. How long will the features be valid after a user buys them?

http://msdn.microsoft.com/en-us/library/windows/apps/hh694067.aspx

Thanks-

• Marked as answer by Travis Troyer Sunday, September 30, 2012 2:18 AM
    Monday, August 13, 2012 4:38 PM
  • I have struggled with the same question. The problem with the inapp purchases are that the user has to sign back in, every month, month in, month out and renew.  I dont know about you, but my subscription to Godaddy (which I have had for more than ten years) would not have been anywhere near that time period if I had to go subscribe every month.

• Edited by danielsn Thursday, October 18, 2012 6:17 AM
    Thursday, October 18, 2012 6:14 AM
  • Hey Daniel,

I know this is answered but I was working another thread and felt strongly that this should be passed along, so I did so for you. It makes sense with the application of in app purchases you were describing, so thank you for leaving the feedback for me to find! Best of luck with everyone's apps!

-Robert

Tuesday, February 5, 2013 5:22 PM