none
Custom Groups Cognos equavalent in Report Builder RRS feed

• Question

• Hi There,

In Cognos, we can create Custom Groups i.e. We can call the group name as Products and hard code values in it. (Pen, Eraser, Files, Filing Cabinet etc).

Is there a similar bucket in Report Builder where I can create a group and assign item to it.

Thank you very much!

I want to create a group and then in my expression check if the item belongs to the group. If there is any other way to do that, please let me know.

Harry

Monday, July 13, 2020 12:21 AM

Answers

• Hi Harry,

Did the answers above help you?

Please feel free to let us know if you have any other question.

If you find any post in the thread is helpful, you could kindly mark it as answer. This would benefit the community, and encourage the community member to keep working on your issues.

Best Regards,

Amelia

MSDN Community Support
    Please remember to click "Mark as Answer" the responses that resolved your issue, and to click "Unmark as Answer" if not. This can be beneficial to other community members reading this thread. If you have any compliments or complaints to MSDN Support, feel free to contact MSDNFSF@microsoft.com.

• Marked as answer by Harry-001 Thursday, July 23, 2020 5:13 PM
    Friday, July 17, 2020 8:33 AM

All replies

• Hi Harry,

To add a group, you can drag the field to the Row Groups pane or the Column Groups pane from the Report Data pane.

Or you can go to Row groups pane and right-click on the Details ->select Add Group and then select the Parent Group option-> specify the grouping column name in Tablix Group window.

For more details, please refer to the following articles:

Grouping in SSRS Table Reports

Adding Grouping

Add or Delete a Group in a Data Region

If you have any question, please feel free to let me know.

Best Regards,

Amelia

MSDN Community Support
    Please remember to click "Mark as Answer" the responses that resolved your issue, and to click "Unmark as Answer" if not. This can be beneficial to other community members reading this thread. If you have any compliments or complaints to MSDN Support, feel free to contact MSDNFSF@microsoft.com.

Monday, July 13, 2020 2:02 AM
  • Hi Amelia,

I need a container where I can add items. I do understand the Grouping concept in Report Builder but I want a container where I can put the items in. i.e. Container called Products, then I will write an expression saying if the item is present in Products container, put the name Products in a particular field and then on the price column, add all the items that belong to that container for that particular date and put a consolidated price in a single row.That is what I want to achieve.

Thank you very much!

Harry

Monday, July 13, 2020 10:09 PM
  • Hi Harry,

Thanks for your reply.

>>but I want a container where I can put the items in. i.e. Container called Products,

Sorry for my poor understanding, could you please explain what the container refers to?

Do you mean you want to insert a table in report, and the table includes products field and price field?

If so, you can add table to report using wizard, or right-click the design surface ->Insert -> table.

Please refer to Tutorial: Creating a Basic Table Report and Create a New Report in SSRS Report Builder Wizard which might help.

Best Regards,

Amelia

MSDN Community Support

Tuesday, July 14, 2020 6:10 AM
  • Hi Amelia,

What I mean by container is a field or some place where I can add items manually. Then I can create an expression to check if the item I am looking is in that field or the container. Is it possible that I create a Calculated field and assign a list of items to it. i.e. call the field called Products and assign - pen, pencil, eraser, scale, papers etc. to it.

Then I can see if the item that I am choosing is part of that list of items, then do the sum of the prices of those items and display as a single row.

Thank you very much!

Regards

Harry

Wednesday, July 15, 2020 12:57 PM
  • Hi Harry,

>>Then I can create an expression to check if the item I am looking is in that field or the container.

According to your requirement, you can try to add a parameter. The Report Parameter allows the user to enter a specific value in the text Box and then, SSRS will filter the Report data using the user-specified value. If the item you are looking for does exist in the dataset, then the relevant data will be shown in the report.

Please refer to the following articles which might help:

Report Parameters (Report Builder and Report Designer)

Tutorial: Add a Parameter to Your Report

SSRS Report Parameters

Best Regards,

Amelia

MSDN Community Support

Thursday, July 16, 2020 6:54 AM
  • Hi Harry,

Did the answers above help you?

Please feel free to let us know if you have any other question.

If you find any post in the thread is helpful, you could kindly mark it as answer. This would benefit the community, and encourage the community member to keep working on your issues.

Best Regards,

Amelia

MSDN Community Support

Friday, July 17, 2020 8:33 AM
  • Hi Amelia,
    The solution was to create a new parameter and then add the list of items in fx. Then, the reference was done in a calculated field. That is how we got away with Container. Basically, Parameter can act as containers.

Thanks for you help.

Regards,

Harry

• Unmarked as answer by Harry-001 Thursday, July 23, 2020 5:13 PM
    Thursday, July 23, 2020 5:13 PM