none
how to do branding for my app? RRS feed

• General discussion

• Hi,

My app needs to be built for 6 branding. They share same source code with different image/string resources.

I can make 6 project respectively, but lots of maintenance when code/project changing.

So I am going to keep just one project, use script to modify project file and replace resources before building.

In this case, it looks like change ProductID and Title attributes of App tag in WMAppManifest.xml is enough to make it as different product. Am I right, or anything else missed?

Thanks,
    Thursday, August 4, 2011 4:05 PM

All replies

• So essentially you are saying that you want to spam the marketplace with the same application, just with different names?

If that's the case I don't think anyone here is going to help you.
    Thursday, August 4, 2011 4:58 PM
  • Why you say spam?

Do you know what is branding? Have you never heard the request that distribute to different group of customer?

Even you call it spam the 'marketplace', It does not spam the user.

Thursday, August 4, 2011 6:18 PM
  • He calls it 'spamming the marketplace' because you want to publish 6 apps which in essence can only be one. Rather try and create the app in such a way that you only publish one app for all 6 cities/states etc the app relates to and not a sinlge app for each of these areas.
    Thursday, August 4, 2011 6:56 PM
  • Not sure if you guys got me.

I am not going to publish 6 apps, it is 6 people (not me) publish their customized app.

Those apps have 98% similar functions, but have 100% different image for instance logo.

They all developed by me. I wish they can be one app but it is not possible.

As in my mail, option 1 has huge maintenance job, so I prefer option 2.

Is option 2 doable?

I am looking a way to prevent this: customer B cannot put their app to marketplace because customer A has already done it.
    Thursday, August 4, 2011 9:49 PM
  • I actually did something similar for the Game Room series of games.  How I did it was to create a library project that contained all of the common code.  I implemented virtual methods for the bits that each separate game would customize.  Each separate game was a new project referencing the library and derived a class from the common class in the library and provided the unique bits for that game.  This also solves the issue with the ProductID because each new project gets a unique ProductID.

As for ProductID, you only need to make it unique if you are going to be deploying the different branded apps to the same device.  The ProductID in WMAppMenifest.xml is used as part of the install directory on the phone.  So if the ProductID is the same, deploying one app will overwrite the previously deployed app.

This does not affect submitted apps though, because each newly submitted app gets a new and unique ProductID before certification anyway.
    Friday, August 5, 2011 11:55 AM
  • Thanks for your replay.

I did same thing as you described when developed in PC, but found that maintain 6 projects is easy to go wrong.

So I want to keep only 1 project, and use script to manage the branding. (It is doable in iphone and android)

If marketplace only care about ProductID (not with different namespace/ProjectGuid/ProjectTypeGuids etc), I will give it a try.
    Friday, August 5, 2011 2:03 PM