KnownFolders.MediaServerDevices not available in Connected Standby

Question

• I have an app that accesses a list of media (audio) files from the KnownFolders.MediaServerDevices folder. However if the App goes into connected standby on a Surface RT, the KnownFolders.MediaServerDevices is no longer available and the app fails when the next file is due to be played. Is this is a bug or a known issue that has some workaround?

Files from Local Libraries like Music, work fine and app plays in background successfully. Also the app has Background Audio capability declared and transport controls registered.

• Edited by sumitkm77 Thursday, December 12, 2013 2:08 AM rephrased
    Thursday, December 12, 2013 1:47 AM

Answers

• I asked about this, and I've been told that the problem seems to be that SMB does not work in CS.  I don't think this is a supported scenario.

Matt Small - Microsoft Escalation Engineer - Forum Moderator
    If my reply answers your question, please mark this post as answered.

NOTE: If I ask for code, please provide something that I can drop directly into a project and run (including XAML), or an actual application project. I'm trying to help a lot of people, so I don't have time to figure out weird snippets with undefined objects and unknown namespaces.

• Marked as answer by sumitkm77 Monday, December 16, 2013 6:54 PM
    Monday, December 16, 2013 3:10 PM

All replies

• I'll ask if this is a supported scenario for connected standby.

NOTE: If I ask for code, please provide something that I can drop directly into a project and run (including XAML), or an actual application project. I'm trying to help a lot of people, so I don't have time to figure out weird snippets with undefined objects and unknown namespaces.

Thursday, December 12, 2013 2:41 PM
  • Thanks Matt,

Any luck?

I know we can use BackgroundDownloader to download files in Connected Standby, so a related question would be "how to/can we use BackgroundDownloader to download files from Knownfolders.MediaServerDevices?"

Regards,

Sumit.

Monday, December 16, 2013 6:59 AM
  • I asked about this, and I've been told that the problem seems to be that SMB does not work in CS.  I don't think this is a supported scenario.

• Marked as answer by sumitkm77 Monday, December 16, 2013 6:54 PM
    Monday, December 16, 2013 3:10 PM
  • Thanks Matt,

CS = Connected Standby

SMB = ?

I know from experience BackgroundDownloader works in CS, is there a workaround to leverage it in this scenario? I'll try building a URI using FolderRelativeId and see if it works.

Eitherways, this particular scenario should be a bug given that all Windows Media shares are done over UPNP and shutting out UPNP in CS is kinda goofy! Do let me know if I can help filing a bug somewhere?

Cheers,

Sumit.

Monday, December 16, 2013 4:03 PM
  • SMB is the file sharing network protocol.

You can file a bug here: https://connect.microsoft.com/

Monday, December 16, 2013 4:41 PM
  • Aah... ofcourse... SMB (aka Samba) = Protocol !

My bad! I'll file a bug with a sample shortly.

-Sumit.

Monday, December 16, 2013 6:54 PM