none
Converting UWP to iOS, yes I know, I know

Question

• To all,

I wrote a Power BI News aggregation app that is doing pretty well and I'm being asked to do an iOS version. There's not a lot of conversion documentation on going the other way, from UWP to iOS. Any pointers?

Boy, wouldn't App Studio be mind-blowing if it could generate UWP/iOS/Android versions of your app, all in one pass? It seems all of the pieces are there.

--Treb

Saturday, September 10, 2016 6:56 PM

Answers

All replies

• Hi Treb,
    As far as I know, you’re not able to convert UWP app to iOS directly.
    If you want a complete shared-code solution for iOS and Windows Phone, you could use Xamarin to reach your cross-platform goal.
    Please refer to Xamarin.Forms (share not only logic but user-interface code; supporting iOS and UWP) for Windows docs.
    Besides, Visual Studio Tools for Apache Cordova can provide the SDK needed and tools to support both Windows Phones and iOS, which helps you debug apps using Web developer tools intergrated directly in Visual Studio. And it support iOS allowing you build, run and debug your app through Visual Studio and run on a live device attached to iOS device.

Best Regards!
    Mattew Wu
    We are trying to better understand customer views on social support experience, so your participation in this interview project would be greatly appreciated if you have time. Thanks for helping make community forums a great place.
    Click HERE to participate the survey.

Monday, September 12, 2016 10:04 AM
  • I like App Studio as it's just enough to get the desired job done, for minimal effort, skill and cost.

Given the number of App Studio like solutions for building iOS and Android applications on the market, it would help uptake of App Studio to be able to generate for all platforms at once. I played with AppMakr and others over the weekend and was able to duplicate my app's functionality for iOS. However, now there are two code bases to maintain.

I've looked at Xamarin, but that takes me out of App Studio, which complicates matters and raises the minimum skill level necessary for app maintenance on a free app. Raising my costs as a result is not a viable business direction for me. 

Back to the drawing board.

Monday, September 12, 2016 12:41 PM
  • Hi,

Currently, your best chance is to use Xamarin to create iOS / Android / UWP apps by your own. Windows App Studio is evolving and we are investigating how to leverage Xamarin in our generated apps but this is an a very early stage so you can't expect nothing soon.

Hope this helps!

Tuesday, September 13, 2016 8:15 AM
  • Hi,

I'm currently working on a pre-alpha-version of a solution using Xamarin:

- I converted the core of the waslibs (the DataProviders and the core of Common.Uwp). But a lot of things aren't converted...

- for the Xamarin app, I have chosen the Acquaint sample code from Xamarin (https://github.com/xamarinhq/app-acquaint) as base of the Xamarin app.

Currently it works (I tested the Xamarin app on iOS, Android and Windows 10/ Windows 10 Mobile), but just the basic features. I choose by default the waslibs features (instead of the Xamarin Acquaint sample feature).

I will put it on GitHub (open source), but I'm waiting to reach a better level...

Best regards

Alchiweb (Hervé PHILIPPE)

• Edited by alchiweb Friday, September 16, 2016 12:46 PM
    Friday, September 16, 2016 12:11 PM
  • Hi alchiweb,

Welcome to MSDN Windows App Studio Forum.

But perhaps you're supposed to ask for help in Xamarin forum to acquire better assitance since your issue is not related to App Studio.

Thank you.

Best Regards!
    Mattew Wu
    We are trying to better understand customer views on social support experience, so your participation in this interview project would be greatly appreciated if you have time. Thanks for helping make community forums a great place.
    Click HERE to participate the survey.

Monday, September 19, 2016 6:34 AM
  • Hi Mattew, thank you for the answer.

In fact, I haven't really issues... I'm currently working on that project in order to "convert automatically Windows App Studio apps into Xamarin apps(iOS/Android/UWP)". So I thought it would interest Treb...

With this project, Windows App Studio will be even more interesting!

Best regards

Alchiweb (Hervé PHILIPPE)

Tuesday, September 20, 2016 12:52 PM
  • Have you any news to share about the project? It would be very interesting.
    Thursday, February 23, 2017 9:38 PM
  • Hi,

in fact, I published in December a first beta version on Github (opensource) :

github.com/mugstrasbourg/WindowsAppStudio.Convert.Xamarin

It's a fist version... but it should work!

Unfortunately, I haven't had time to finish it... until now.

Hope that it can be useful for some people...

Friday, February 24, 2017 3:19 PM
  • Keep us up to date, it seems a very interesting tool.
    Friday, February 24, 2017 7:05 PM