none
Migrating an app from WP Silverlight to Universal App - product ID? RRS feed

• Question

• I'm updating my Windows Phone app so that it becomes a Universal App with my Windows 8 app. I've copied the ProductID value from WMAppManifest.xml off the WP Silverlight app into the PhoneProductId field in Package.appxmanifest. However, when I deploy the app to a device, either directly from VS2013 or via the Store as a Beta app, it does NOT replace the currently-installed Silverlight version of the app.

What have I missed out or misunderstood? Do I need to set the PhonePublisherId field as well in Package.appxmanifest?

Regards

Philip

Wednesday, August 20, 2014 7:39 AM

All replies

• The WP Silverlight app has the "XAP" file type when packaged, whereas the Windows Runtime Windows Phone app has an "APPX" file format, so they are essentially different apps and will get installed as separate apps. You can only "upgrade" from a WP 8.0 Silverlight based app to a WP 8.1 Silverlight based app.

Windows Store Developer Solutions, follow us on Twitter: @WSDevSol|| Want more solutions? See our blog

Wednesday, August 20, 2014 11:08 PM
  • Hi Prahsant

Thanks for your explanation. That is, I feel, very disappointing. I was hoping to be able to reward people who had paid for the Silverlight version of my app with some free functionality but if the APPX version is installed alongside the XAP version then I cannot pick up any information about the XAP version.

I think that the end-user experience is also going to be really poor because they will then end up with two versions of the app installed with identical names and icons!

I feel sure that this isn't really the expected behaviour ...

Philip

Thursday, August 21, 2014 7:40 AM