none
Restricting an WP7 app to be available for WP8 RRS feed

• Question

• Hi all,

I don't have a WP8 device nor do I even have the WP8 SDK. I have published an app in Marketplace using the WP7 SDK, but it still seems to be available for WP8 devices. I have recently received some bug reports that only seem to happen on WP8 devices and as I don't have any way of testing this myself, how can I restrict WP8 device users from getting my app?

This is quite disappointing from Microsoft part as well, as I thought WP7 apps were compatible with WP8. Seems not :(

Tuesday, December 4, 2012 7:28 AM

All replies

• Hi,

Have you checked for breaking changes in wp8, I got the same, I was using readonly connectionstring on sqlserver.

Tuesday, December 4, 2012 9:46 AM
  • Hi,

Have you checked for breaking changes in wp8, I got the same, I was using readonly connectionstring on sqlserver.

Hi Christian,

Thank you for your reply! I do not think this is because of the SQL connection. But my connection string is private const string m_connectionString = "Data Source=isostore:/Podcatcher.sdf"; that I give to the contsructor of the SQL DataContext.

Like so: https://github.com/kypeli/Podcatcher/blob/master/wp7/Podcatcher/PodcastSqlModel.cs#L237

Based on the bug reports, my guess is that it is related to BackgroundAudioPlayer or AudioPlayerAgent as it is related to playing MP3s. I have no problems whatsoever with this on WP7 and I have followed the example application when doing my implementation.

Any ideas what could have changed for BackgroundAudioPlayer in WP8?

Tuesday, December 4, 2012 11:35 AM
  • We can only assist in certain scenarios to restrict your app from WP8 devices. Your best bet is submitting a ticket for further assistance.

Submit Support Request: http://go.microsoft.com/fwlink/?LinkId=256412

thanks, palash biswas [MSFT]

Tuesday, December 4, 2012 10:38 PM
  • This is really unfortunate that it is not a drop down so that we can select support for 7 or 8... My app actually causes Windows 8 devices to reboot... but it works perfectly fine on Windows Phone 7... never had a bad review until Windows Phone 8....

So much for backward compatibility with the 100,000 apps......

Thursday, December 6, 2012 6:45 AM
  • This is really unfortunate that it is not a drop down so that we can select support for 7 or 8... My app actually causes Windows 8 devices to reboot... but it works perfectly fine on Windows Phone 7... never had a bad review until Windows Phone 8....

So much for backward compatibility with the 100,000 apps......

I wish Microsoft or Nokia could send us developer WP8 devices to sort these things out. But until then, I  got this reply from Microsoft's developer support, which suggests they are aware of the situation and will give tools to select if app is available for WP8 or not:

We're working on releasing some documentation within the upcoming week or two that tells you how to remove 8.0 distribution for your app. I suggest you keep an eye out on for an e-mail newsletter and our Developer Blog, since this is where the information will be provided.

• Proposed as answer by Lucian T Thursday, December 6, 2012 11:59 AM
    • Marked as answer by Johan Paul Thursday, December 6, 2012 12:11 PM
    • Unmarked as answer by Johan Paul Wednesday, December 19, 2012 7:30 PM
    Thursday, December 6, 2012 7:34 AM
  • thanks for the update.. I have sent them a support ticket too and expect they will tell me the same thing...

I dont see the use in telling everyone that Windows Phone 8 has 100,000+ apps... oh but 90% of them might crash your phone.... :P

I feel terrible that my app is causing Windows Phone 8 devices to actually REBOOT... I know I can unpublish it but there are many more Windows Phone 7 devices out there who are using it and downloading it perfectly fine....

Thursday, December 6, 2012 10:23 AM
  • Gerard,

How is your application behaving in the Windows Phone 8 emulator? You must know by now which of the APIs you use are causing the problem and thus evaluate if the crash is due to an API break or due to the way you are using it in the code.

We have to assume that when Microsoft decided that no platform version switch is needed in the store, it did so based on application testing and good statistical results.  One app causing reboots out of more than 120000 is statistically speaking irrelevant.

Thursday, December 6, 2012 11:48 AM
  • It causes the emulator to reboot also... which doesnt help with debugging... Works fine on Windows 7.5 phones and emulator for the last year... but not compatible with Version 8 and no way to stop Windows 8 devices downloading it.. pity...
    Sunday, December 9, 2012 9:10 AM
  • My latest app didn´t pass certification because it did not work on all wp8 devices. Well, the app was not designed for wp8 and there is no setting in the submission how to restrict the app for wp8 devices.

So what the heck do I do now? Throw away all my work, a couple of hundred hours so far... buy a new computer with win8 to test the app on a wp8 emulator or just wait for MS to fix the submission page to restrict app access.

Epic!

JK

Tuesday, December 11, 2012 12:57 PM
  • It's been a couple of weeks now. Where's our feature to restrict apps for WP8?
    Monday, December 17, 2012 8:37 PM
  • Seems Microsoft backed off. I just got this from dev support.

"Unfortunately, we won't have a method in place for developers to opt of 8.0 distribution. We encourage you to test your apps for 8.0 compatability."

Wednesday, December 19, 2012 7:28 PM