none
RHBIND : error RHB0002: Failed to write PDB on VS 2019 RRS feed

• Question

• seeing repeated failures to build my app for a store release using VS 2019 16.1.1. The same solution successful builds an appxupload with VS 2017 15.9.12.

I'm building for x86, x64 and ARM. The failure usually occurs with the ARM build, but sometimes with the other two. You can find a detailed build log at https://1drv.ms/u/s!ArS4HFRp-_RCie0v1DEA0P12FLM-Ow

The interesting parts are included below:

1>"C:\Operations\Build\Home\Sideroads\Source\Sideroads.Windows\Sideroads.Windows.csproj" (_GenerateAppxPackage target) (1) ->

1>(BuildNativePackage target) ->

1>  C:\Program Files (x86)\Microsoft SDKs\UWPNuGetPackages\microsoft.net.native.compiler\2.2.3\tools\Microsoft.NetNative.targets(801,5): error : RHBIND : error RHB0002: Failed to write PDB.

1>  C:\Program Files (x86)\Microsoft SDKs\UWPNuGetPackages\microsoft.net.native.compiler\2.2.3\tools\Microsoft.NetNative.targets(801,5): error : Type 'Windows.UI.Xaml.Media.Animation.DirectConnectedAnimationConfiguration' from assembly 'Windows.Foundation.UniversalApiContract' was not included in compilation, but was referenced in method 'ConnectedAnimationHelper.UseDirectConnectedAnimationConfiguration(ConnectedAnimation)'. There may have been a missing assembly, or a dependency on a more recent Windows SDK release.

1>  C:\Program Files (x86)\Microsoft SDKs\UWPNuGetPackages\microsoft.net.native.compiler\2.2.3\tools\Microsoft.NetNative.targets(801,5): error : Method 'ConnectedAnimationHelper.UseDirectConnectedAnimationConfiguration(ConnectedAnimation)' will always throw an exception due to the missing method 'DirectConnectedAnimationConfiguration..ctor()' in assembly 'Windows.Foundation.UniversalApiContract'. There may have been a missing assembly, or a dependency on a more recent Windows SDK release.

1>  C:\Program Files (x86)\Microsoft SDKs\UWPNuGetPackages\microsoft.net.native.compiler\2.2.3\tools\Microsoft.NetNative.targets(801,5): error : Type 'Windows.UI.Xaml.Media.Animation.DirectConnectedAnimationConfiguration' from assembly 'Windows.Foundation.UniversalApiContract' was not included in compilation, but was referenced in method 'ConnectedAnimationHelper.UseDirectConnectedAnimationConfiguration(ConnectedAnimation)'. There may have been a missing assembly, or a dependency on a more recent Windows SDK release.

1>  C:\Program Files (x86)\Microsoft SDKs\UWPNuGetPackages\microsoft.net.native.compiler\2.2.3\tools\Microsoft.NetNative.targets(801,5): error : Method 'ConnectedAnimationHelper.UseDirectConnectedAnimationConfiguration(ConnectedAnimation)' will always throw an exception due to the missing method 'DirectConnectedAnimationConfiguration..ctor()' in assembly 'Windows.Foundation.UniversalApiContract'. There may have been a missing assembly, or a dependency on a more recent Windows SDK release.

1>  C:\Program Files (x86)\Microsoft SDKs\UWPNuGetPackages\microsoft.net.native.compiler\2.2.3\tools\Microsoft.NetNative.targets(801,5): error : ILT0005: 'C:\Program Files (x86)\Microsoft SDKs\UWPNuGetPackages\runtime.win10-x86.microsoft.net.native.compiler\2.2.3\tools\x86\ilc\Tools\rhbind.exe @"C:\Operations\Build\Home\Sideroads\Source\Sideroads.Windows\obj\x86\Release\ilc\intermediate\rhbindargs.Sideroads.rsp"' returned exit code 2

Sunday, May 26, 2019 5:15 PM

All replies

• Hi mfeingol,

If your successfully packaged app could be released to the Store, you could use VS 2017 to package your app. I guess there may be some problem with VS 2019 and this issue is out of our forum's scope. Thanks for your understanding.

Best regards

Daisy  Tian

MSDN Community Support
    Please remember to click "Mark as Answer" the responses that resolved your issue, and to click "Unmark as Answer" if not. This can be beneficial to other community members reading this thread. If you have any compliments or complaints to MSDN Support, feel free to contact MSDNFSF@microsoft.com.

Monday, May 27, 2019 7:52 AM
  • I getting the same error with visual studio 2017.  Did you figure out how to fix it?
    Tuesday, July 2, 2019 12:07 PM
  • VS 2017 is giving me this error as well
    Tuesday, July 2, 2019 12:07 PM
  • The root cause is the .NET Native compiler's PDB generation step running out of memory. It's a 32-bit process, even when using the 64-bit toolchain.

In my case, I need to step down from using <Assembly Name="*Application*" Dynamic="Required All" /> in rd.xml to something more specific that excludes more symbols. This is non-trivial.

My short-term workaround is to not ship ARM builds for the time being.

Wednesday, July 3, 2019 4:03 AM