none
How to unblock my Microsoft developer account RRS feed

• Question

• Dear Microsoft -

Today, I updated my work email address in my Microsoft developer account. (The existing email address was out of date, since I've been working for a different company for quite a while.)

As a result, my Microsoft developer account has been locked for 30 days, until June 30.

My company can't afford for my Windows Phone 8 development work to be blocked for 30 days! Is there any way to get my dev account unlocked?

Thanks in advance for any help!

Keith

Friday, May 31, 2013 11:00 PM

All replies

• Hello Keith,

This is a security measure to prevent your account from being "hijacked" by an unauthorized user. The only way to prevent this from happening would be if you had setup a Trusted PC before making the change. Once the 30 day lock is in place it cannot be removed.

-Eric

Windows Phone Developer Support

Send us your feedback about the Dev Center

Monday, June 3, 2013 4:59 PM
    Owner
  • Hi Eric -

Thanks for the info. Questions:

1) How to setup a Trusted PC?
    2) Is there absolutely no way to unlock this account? This is a major issue for us.

Thanks!

Monday, June 3, 2013 5:09 PM
  • Hello Keith,

A Trusted PC can only be setup before your account has the 30 day lock triggered. It can be configured by using Internet Explorer to go to login.live.com and clicking on Edit Security Info.

Once the 30 day lock has been triggered it is not possible to unlock it, not even by support. The 30 day lock is a security measure to prevent your account from being compromised so this is why it is important to keep both a mobile number and email address current at minimum but better to have a Trusted PC setup also. If you have a Trusted PC setup you will never be locked out of your account even if you lose access to your mobile number or alternate email address.

-Eric

Windows Phone Developer Support

Send us your feedback about the Dev Center

Tuesday, June 4, 2013 5:02 PM
    Owner
  • I am having the same issue.  I just wanted to say that this is a really bad security feature. There needs to be a way for me to get access to my account in those 30 days.

-Jared Schraub

Monday, July 13, 2015 1:41 AM