Clicking in SearchBox disables text input RRS feed

• Question

• When I click inside the SearchBox, the control becomes grayed out and I can't type into it. It works when I navigate away from the page and come back. Here's my XAML.

Thoughts?

<SearchBox 
                Grid.Row="0"
                PlaceholderText="Search Army Doctrine" 
                FocusOnKeyboardInput="True" 
                SearchHistoryEnabled="False"
                QuerySubmitted="SearchBox_QuerySubmitted" 
                SuggestionsRequested="SearchBox_SuggestionsRequested" 
                ResultSuggestionChosen="SearchBox_ResultSuggestionChosen" 
                Grid.Column="1" 
                Width="260" 
                Height="35" 
                HorizontalAlignment="Right" 
                VerticalAlignment="Center"  
                Margin="20,40,20,20"/>
    Wednesday, October 9, 2013 7:24 PM

Answers

• This issue is fixed. I had overlaid a SemanticZoom control over the top of it by mistake. Thanks!

Friday, October 11, 2013 7:43 PM

All replies

• Are you still working on the Windows 8.1 Preview software or are you using the RTM version?  Using your markup above I cannot repro the experience you are having.

Tim Heuer | Program Manager, UI Platforms (XAML, WinJS) | http://timheuer.com/blog | @timheuer | Callisto - XAML UI Toolkit

(if my post has answered your question, please consider using the *mark as answer* feature in the forums to help others)

Wednesday, October 9, 2013 9:10 PM
  • Are you still working on the Windows 8.1 Preview software or are you using the RTM version?  Using your markup above I cannot repro the experience you are having.

Thanks for the response, Tim. This happens on both Windows 8.1 Pro and Windows RT 8.1 Preview, with Visual Studio 2013 RC. If I tap or click in the search box, the background grays out and I lose the cursor. Since I have FocusOnKeyboardInput turned on, typing puts focus back on the textbox. I just can't get the cursor to come back with a tap or click.

Also, this is a critical issue on a touch device. One would expect a tap in the search box would open the on-screen keyboard, and it doesn't (at least in my case).

• Edited by Paul E Whitaker Thursday, October 10, 2013 2:08 AM Added a note about touch device
    Thursday, October 10, 2013 1:56 AM
  • I don't see this happening on my machine.  Do you have access to RTM via an MSDN subscription?  Or perhaps in a pure blank app with only this it does not reproduce for you either?  I created a blank app and added the above (removing the events) to verify.

Tim Heuer | Program Manager, UI Platforms (XAML, WinJS) | http://timheuer.com/blog | @timheuer | Callisto - XAML UI Toolkit

(if my post has answered your question, please consider using the *mark as answer* feature in the forums to help others)

Thursday, October 10, 2013 2:13 AM
  • I don't see this happening on my machine.  Do you have access to RTM via an MSDN subscription?  Or perhaps in a pure blank app with only this it does not reproduce for you either?  I created a blank app and added the above (removing the events) to verify.

If I create a new Blank Page on this project, the SearchBox works properly. I believe I read no other TextBox controls can be on the page, and I don't believe that is the case. Are there other controls or styles that might conflict?
    Friday, October 11, 2013 7:19 PM
  • This issue is fixed. I had overlaid a SemanticZoom control over the top of it by mistake. Thanks!

Friday, October 11, 2013 7:43 PM
  • Woohoo!  Glad you found the issue Paul!

Friday, October 11, 2013 10:22 PM