none
Questions about developer licenses RRS feed

• Question

• I signed up for a company account using my MSDN username and am wondering the following things:

1) Is there a way for me to link MSDN usernames from other people at my company to the same company account?  That way, they could submit their apps and I don't have to do it for them.

2) The Get a developer license page says "you qualify for a longer developer license if you have a Windows Store account", however now that I have linked my MSDN account to a company store account I still am only getting a developer license of 3 months if I am choosing to get a license through Visual Studio 2012.  Why is this?

3) To automatically build Windows Store applications, my understanding is that the build machines at my company would have be manually set up to have a developer license because even if I use PowerShell, it only just launches the Microsoft logon page.  Is that correct?

4) I saw threads a while back about how Windows Server 2012 cannot be used to get a developer license, however I just verified today that it worked fine for me on the Server 2012 GA.  Is it officially supported to use MSBuild.exe to build a Windows Store application on Server 2012?

5) Is it a problem if the server that builds the Windows Store application has a developer license generated from a different MSDN account than the one that will be used to submit the application to the Windows Store?

Monday, September 17, 2012 2:08 PM

All replies

• Hi Adam Gross,

For your first question, we advise developers to have 1 developer to submit the App, many developers can work on developing the Application but one submit it. If you create a Company account, you can use a generic Company Micorosft Account/liveID, whose details can be shared among the developers. When it comes to submitting the App, anyone can then sign on, and submit.

For the other questions, this might be better posted to the Tools Forum

Thanks

Thursday, September 20, 2012 2:49 PM
  • Thanks for the answer.  Do you think you would be able to answer my question #5 too?  Does the application need to be built using a developer license from the same MSDN account as that which will be used to submit the application?  Or will the certificate file that was generated be overwritten during the store submission process so it doesn't matter?
    Thursday, September 20, 2012 6:36 PM
  • Hi Adam, For question 5, the MSDN account who creates the package, must be the same account that submits the application. Thanks
    Thursday, September 20, 2012 7:31 PM