none
Does Microsoft store deployment take care of the dependency issue? RRS feed

• Question

• I developed a windows app that is depending on Microsoft Expression Encoder 4. Currently, I deploy the app via the Microsoft click-once deployment method. It works well in the sense that it first checks if Expression Encoder 4 exists in a user's computer  and it will install EE4 before installing my app if EE4 is not in the user's computer yet. However, even though I provided code signing certificate and related info, it only signed the download package file, but not the final installed .exe file. Therefore, when the app is kicked off, the WONDERFUL smartscreen still pops up and complains that it is an app from a Unknown Publisher and it can be dangerous.

To bypass this issue, I am planning to move to the Microsoft Store route to publish my app. Before I start, I would like to know how to deal with the dependency issue. When a user downloads my app from windows store and starts to install the app, is the installer smart enough to install EE4 (if not exist) before it installs my app?

Thanks in advance for all the helps and suggestions!

Wednesday, January 6, 2016 9:57 PM

Answers

• a WPF app you can't distrubute through the store

if you make it a UWP you wont get it depending on Expression Encoder.. that something that is not supported in UWP anyway

Microsoft Certified Solutions Developer - Windows Store Apps Using C#

• Marked as answer by Yun Shen Thursday, January 7, 2016 9:21 PM
    Thursday, January 7, 2016 9:04 PM

All replies

• Hi Yun Shen,

This forum is discuss Visual Studio WPF/SL Designer, Visual Studio Guidance Automation Toolkit, Developer Documentation and Help System, and Visual Studio Editor.

Since your problem is more related to Windows app publishing, I will help you move this thread to Submitting and Publishing Apps forum for a better help.

Best Regards,
    Weiwei

Thursday, January 7, 2016 9:37 AM
  • no, the store is not going to check for you if windows encoder is present since it just installs the appx and doesnt run any setup exe / msi. Via the windows store you can only publish winrt / uwp / universal apps. is your app not a desktop app? if its a universal app, you really are wack compliant?

Thursday, January 7, 2016 10:56 AM
  • Thanks for the move.
    Thursday, January 7, 2016 8:29 PM
  • Thanks for your quick response!

You're right my app is not a Windows Store app. It is an old fashion wpf desktop app depending on Expression Encoder 4. According to your description, even if I successfully convert my app to a windows store app, I shall still have the issue of installing EE4, correct? The user must have knowledge to download EE4 and install it in his/her computer before he/she can run my app, correct?

Thursday, January 7, 2016 9:00 PM
  • a WPF app you can't distrubute through the store

if you make it a UWP you wont get it depending on Expression Encoder.. that something that is not supported in UWP anyway

• Marked as answer by Yun Shen Thursday, January 7, 2016 9:21 PM
    Thursday, January 7, 2016 9:04 PM
  • I see. Thanks! 

I guess I need to stick with the click-once deployment mechanism.

Do you happened to know anything about the code-sign issue I mentioned in my original question? If not, could you point me to a correct person for help? I posted a similar question in StackOverflow a while ago but so far I have got 0 response. :(

Thanks in advance!

Thursday, January 7, 2016 9:16 PM
  • what kind of certificate your using?

Thursday, January 7, 2016 9:27 PM
  • Hello Yun,

Apps distributed via the store are not permitted to download any additional components. They must be self-contained.

-Eric

Windows and Windows Phone Dev Center Support

Send us your feedback about the Windows Platform

Thursday, January 7, 2016 9:31 PM
    Owner
  • Just a regular code-sign certificate issued by Comodo Security Services. The certificate should be fine. It worked well when I used it to sign the app with the signcode command. However, since I am using the Click-Once mechanism, I have to use the Publish page inside the Visual Studio. I passed in all the necessary information including the code-sign certificate and password, the publish process seemed a success. The downloaded setup.exe was truly signed correctly and showed the correct publisher info. However, after the installation, my app .exe file was not code-signed.
    Friday, January 8, 2016 3:18 AM
  • i am not sure commondo is a authenticode certificate. see this:https://msdn.microsoft.com/en-us/library/ms172240.aspx

Friday, January 8, 2016 6:46 AM