none
[UWP][C++]Can C++ UWP apps use CUDA? RRS feed

• Question

• Can C++ UWP apps use CUDA?

I haven't written a WinRT app since Windows 8, and back then I used C#.  I recall lots of limitations about what libraries could be used.

• Edited by Breeze Liu Wednesday, November 1, 2017 4:03 AM [UWP][C++]
    Tuesday, October 31, 2017 4:24 AM

Answers

All replies

• OpenGL, CUDA, and Vulkan are not supported for UWP.
    Tuesday, October 31, 2017 4:05 PM
  • OpenGL, CUDA, and Vulkan are not supported for UWP.

Gotcha.  I figured DirectX would be the only supported graphics technology but for GPGPU programming I thought there might be a chance CUDA would work.

I assume DirectCompute works.  I'll investigate.

Wednesday, November 1, 2017 12:55 AM
  • DirectCompute is supported, as is AMP, assuming there's a sufficient Direct3D hardware feature level available.
    Sunday, November 5, 2017 9:37 AM
  • Hi Chuck, just wanted to clarify:

In connection with the release of NVIDIA Nsight Visual Studio Edition 5.4, NVIDIA writes: "NVIDIA® Nsight™ Visual Studio Edition brings GPU computing into Microsoft Visual Studio (including multiple instances of VS2017). This application development environment for GPUs allows you to build, debug, profile and trace heterogeneous compute, graphics, virtual reality, and UWP applications built with CUDA C/C++, OpenCL, DirectCompute, Direct3D, Vulkan API, OpenGL, OpenVR, and the Oculus SDK".

I realize this was released just a few days before you posted your response, but does this indeed mean that UWP now does support CUDA? My objective is to use CUDA to leverage on parallel GPU calculations and not for graphics. I also target to build a local desktop application.

Regards,

Edwin

• Edited by Eddie1161 Thursday, November 9, 2017 8:43 AM
    Thursday, November 9, 2017 8:39 AM
  • Hey sorry for digging up this somewhat old thread, but did anyone get anywhere with this? I'm trying to do a hello world of sorts utilizing CUDA in a UWP. Just a simple count devices and output the result. It keeps failing to build complaining about unresolved external symbols. A very similar windows console application builds and runs fine.
    Tuesday, May 15, 2018 4:32 PM
  • You'll have to ask NVIDIA, but I would interpret that as meaning that NVIDIA Nsight now supports working on UWP apps and not just Win32 desktop apps. It doesn't mean that CUDA or OpenGL is supported for UWP.

Note that for OpenGL apps looking to support UWP, there is the option of using the ANGLE project.

Friday, May 25, 2018 4:43 PM
  • Hey, Chuck, Eric Frazer here (company directory)... I'm wondering what technically holds Cuda back from running on UWP? Why would OpenGL work, but Cuda would not?

Do you know anybody at NVidia I can talk to about what it would take to get it to run on UWP?

~ Eric R., Senior Dev, MS Research You can probably figure out more about me if you try!

Wednesday, August 22, 2018 11:51 PM