[UWP] Sideload Bundle to Windows 10 Phone RRS feed

• Question

• Hi,

I have created an app, and submitted it to the Store.

From the Store I can install this app on Windows 10 PCs and Windows 10 Phones with no problems.

Now I will need to sideload the app on some devices.

(I have sideloading enabled in all of them)

I want to use the same bundle I generated for the Store, the "...bundle.appxupload" file.

I unzip it, and I can install the "appxbundle" it contains with no problems on any Windows 10 PC using the "DeployUtil" or calling the powershell "Add-AppxPackage" command.

The problem is on Windows 10 Phones. I am using the "WinAppDeployCmd.exe" to install the same "appxbundle". The install runs without any problem, but the app does not start on the device, and I Don't get any error message either. On the exact same device if I install the same generated bundle from the Store it works. On the same device if I install the "appxbundle" that visual studio generated on the output  "..._Test" folder it also works.

So my question is, why is it that only the bundle generated for Windows Store upload fails to run when sideloaded on Windows 10 Phone device?

Why is it that from the same build, the bundle on the "_Test" folder works, but the bundle on the "appxupload" does not on a Windows 10 Phone?

(Note, the installation works, but the app does not start, only on Windows 10 Phone and only if it was from the appxupload file)

I want to distribute only 1 file for Store uploading and device sideloading (PC and Phone).

Thanks

• Edited by Fred Bao Monday, February 22, 2016 5:39 AM add the tag
    Friday, February 19, 2016 11:24 AM

All replies

• Hello FilipeMadureira,

>>I want to distribute only 1 file for Store uploading and device sideloading (PC and Phone).

I made a test on my side as you described, however, on my side, the arm package could be deployed to the windows phone device successfully. The command I used is:

WinAppDeployCmd install -file <path> -ip <address>

While I want to ask is there any specific reason you want to deploy your app to the window phone via such an approach? And I do think this is possible to use a .appx file for both Phone and PC since we know, Phone uses the ARM architect while PC uses X86/x64. And the reason for generating the "...bundle.appxupload" file instead of generating three separate files(X86/X64/ARM) is to achieve one file for all platform. Although the file would contain multi version deploy packages.

Regards.

We are trying to better understand customer views on social support experience, so your participation in this interview project would be greatly appreciated if you have time. Thanks for helping make community forums a great place. <br/> Click <a href="http://support.microsoft.com/common/survey.aspx?showpage=1&scid=sw%3Ben%3B3559&theme=tech"> HERE</a> to participate the survey.

• Edited by Fred Bao Monday, February 22, 2016 6:49 AM
    Monday, February 22, 2016 6:14 AM
  • Hi,

As I had mentioned. The deploy works, I get no errors in the deploy, but the app does not start. I suspect it is a problem with dependencies.

What is strange is that the same "bundle.appxupload" works on Windows 10 PC and Windows 10 Tablet. This same bundle, if uploaded into Windows Store, and then installed on a Windows 10 Phone device also works.

I noticed that in the "..._Test" folder that Visual studio generates and that has an appxbundle, that works on Windows 10 Phone, the dependencies are in separate "appx" files, on the bundle generated for the store "bundle.appxupload", the dependencies seem to be all inside the main appx files for each CPU as individual DLLs.

So it seems some kind of bug in the sideloading procedure only on Windos 10 Phone, when managing dependencies in the way they are packed in the "bundle.appxupload".

This is intended for an integration in another platform and for simplicity reasons would be easier to have only 1 file for distribution. This file would be good for store uploading and device sideloading. This approach seems OK and it should work. I think one of the big ideas in Windows 10 is single platform. If this does not work, we go back to having one "bundle" for deploying to PC/Tablet and another "bundle" for deploying to Phone.

Thanks

Monday, February 22, 2016 9:25 AM
  • Hello FilipeMadureira,

>>What is strange is that the same "bundle.appxupload" works on Windows 10 PC and Windows 10 Tablet. This same bundle, if uploaded into Windows Store, and then installed on a Windows 10 Phone device also works.

Actually this is the standard approach to deploy windows 10 UWP applications as I mentioned above, it contains multi versions packages.

>>This is intended for an integration in another platform and for simplicity reasons would be easier to have only 1 file for distribution.

Except the windows platform, what platform do you want deploy the windows 10 UWP application?

Regards.

We are trying to better understand customer views on social support experience, so your participation in this interview project would be greatly appreciated if you have time. Thanks for helping make community forums a great place. &lt;br/&gt; Click &lt;a href=&quot;http://support.microsoft.com/common/survey.aspx?showpage=1&amp;scid=sw%3Ben%3B3559&amp;theme=tech&quot;&gt; HERE&lt;/a&gt; to participate the survey.

Wednesday, February 24, 2016 5:40 AM
  • Hi,

When I meant another platform I meant internal software distribution platform, not O.S.

But I think you are missing the original point of the question. I know the bundle contains multi version packages. That is a good thing.

The bundle generated in the "_Test" folder, that also contains multi version packages when I sideload it to Windows Phone 10, it works.

What I don't understand is why if I sideload the "bundle.appxupload" to a Windows Phone 10, it installs, but the application fails to start. When it works perfectly if I sideload on Windows 10 PC/Tablet, and also works on Windows 10 Phone if not sideloaded, but installed from the store.

Thanks

Wednesday, February 24, 2016 9:24 AM
  • Hello FilipeMadureira,

>>What I don't understand is why if I sideload the "bundle.appxupload" to a Windows Phone 10, it…

I am not sure if I misunderstand you, while this stuff is what I have done in my first post. However, it is working even using sildload. Could you please share the bundle.appxupload file with us? I would make a test with it on my side.

Regards.

We are trying to better understand customer views on social support experience, so your participation in this interview project would be greatly appreciated if you have time. Thanks for helping make community forums a great place. &lt;br/&gt; Click &lt;a href=&quot;http://support.microsoft.com/common/survey.aspx?showpage=1&amp;scid=sw%3Ben%3B3559&amp;theme=tech&quot;&gt; HERE&lt;/a&gt; to participate the survey.

Thursday, February 25, 2016 3:59 AM
  • Hi,

The application is currently in Windows Store:

https://www.microsoft.com/en-us/store/apps/kclientv40/9nblggh6hp61

I can install it on Win10 PC and Win10 Phone and I can start and use the application with no problems.

This is the actual "bundle.appxupload" I used to put the app in the store:

https://dl.dropboxusercontent.com/u/41650160/KClient_1.1.15.0_x86_x64_arm_bundle.appxupload

If I unzip, and sideload the "appxbundle" in a Win10 PC it installs and the app works.

If I sideload the "appxbundle" to a Win10 Phone with "WinAppDeployCmd.exe" it installs but the application does not start.

Thanks

Thursday, February 25, 2016 9:53 AM
  • Hi.

I would download the file and test and tell you the result on my side as soon as I complete the test.

Regards.

Friday, February 26, 2016 3:32 AM
  • Hello FilipeMadureira,

I downloaded your file and tried to deploy the it as I did before, and it performed what you described, it started and closed immediately. I would consult this scenario internally and as soon as we get any result, we would post an update to here.

After a internal discussion, we need to narrow down this issue, for please have a try to create a blank app and to see if it could be deployed to the windows phone or not?

Regards.

• Edited by Fred Bao Tuesday, March 1, 2016 9:46 AM
    Tuesday, March 1, 2016 8:32 AM
  • Hi,

Thanks for checking this.

I created an Hello World app and it works. I think this is related to dependencies, this project is big.

Regards

Tuesday, March 1, 2016 4:37 PM
  • Hello FilipeMadureira,

>> I created an Hello World app and it works. I think this is related to dependencies, this project is big.

Anyway it is glad to see we have narrow down this issue a bit.

Then what I suggest you could try to debug the app by removing the dependencies, this may cost time since as you mention, the project would be big.  Also have a check this blog to debug it without the Visual Studio:

Crash debugging Windows 10 Mobile UWP apps

Regards.

• Edited by Fred Bao Wednesday, March 2, 2016 2:41 AM
    Wednesday, March 2, 2016 2:16 AM
  • Hi,

That is not feasible. It would take days if not weeks to remove each dependency one by one and try to make the project compile without it each time.

And at the end, if I do find a problem with a specific dependency I would probably not be able to do anything about it, as it seems a bug in the sideloading procedure on the phone, since the same bundle installed from the store on the same device works.

I did collect the dump, thanks for the link.

It gives little information, and I don't know how to follow on it:

This dump file has an exception of interest stored in it.
    The stored exception information can be accessed via .ecxr.
    (1568.17f0): Unknown exception - code c000027b (first/second chance not available)
    *** ERROR: Symbol file could not be found.  Defaulted to export symbols for kernelbase.dll -
    kernelbase!RaiseFailFastException+0x60:
    774626a1 4b1b7833 ???

I don't find any more information on WinDbg, and can't find any .ecxr.

Just this.

Thanks

Wednesday, March 2, 2016 12:47 PM
  • Hello FilipeMadureira,

For further help you, I am trying to invoke someone experienced to help you and also you could share the dump file with us by the onedrive tool.

Regards.

We are trying to better understand customer views on social support experience, so your participation in this interview project would be greatly appreciated if you have time. Thanks for helping make community forums a great place. &amp;amp;lt;br/&amp;amp;gt; Click &amp;amp;lt;a href=&amp;amp;quot;http://support.microsoft.com/common/survey.aspx?showpage=1&amp;amp;amp;scid=sw%3Ben%3B3559&amp;amp;amp;theme=tech&amp;amp;quot;&amp;amp;gt; HERE&amp;amp;lt;/a&amp;amp;gt; to participate the survey.

Thursday, March 3, 2016 5:28 AM
  • Hi,

Thank you for looking into this.

The dump is available here:

https://dl.dropboxusercontent.com/u/41650160/Dump.zip

Regards

Thursday, March 3, 2016 9:33 AM
  • Any updates? I am facing exactly the same issue
    Wednesday, May 25, 2016 6:32 PM
  • same problem here, even using hockey, it's quite annoying :/
    Friday, July 29, 2016 9:05 AM