How to use App Studio Data Services RRS feed

• Question

• I don't know exactly how App Studio Data Services Works. I'm testing Windows Phone App Studio for first time, and I supposed that this Services will automatically ask for a service url (XML, json,...), but I don't see any difference when I choose that option.

Thanks.

Santiago Magana Mendiola - http://about.me/smmendiola

Thursday, September 26, 2013 8:26 PM

Answers

• Hello,

You are correct that the data is saved in the cloud. To edit, delete or add Collection data with the App Studio Data Services type, you just have that to access that section of your app through the Dashboard in App Studio (where all of your apps are stored). Open the Collection (with App Studio Data Services type) that you want to update, and make all of your changes. It isn’t necessary to reinstall the application as the data will automatically update on your device.

Thank you for using Windows Phone App Studio

• Proposed as answer by JowieC Wednesday, October 30, 2013 1:58 AM
    • Marked as answer by iShanty Tuesday, November 5, 2013 8:08 AM
    Friday, October 11, 2013 12:31 PM

All replies

• Ok, I think I know how it works.

If you choose App Studio Data Services, all data you put, will be saved in the cloud.

The questions are:

- If you change data in the cloud, thid will change data in the app?

- If so, where can I find data in the cloud?

Thanks.

Santiago Magana Mendiola - http://about.me/smmendiola

Friday, September 27, 2013 12:03 PM
  • Please, i need answer to this question too... Anyone?
    Tuesday, October 8, 2013 3:20 PM
  • Hello,

You are correct that the data is saved in the cloud. To edit, delete or add Collection data with the App Studio Data Services type, you just have that to access that section of your app through the Dashboard in App Studio (where all of your apps are stored). Open the Collection (with App Studio Data Services type) that you want to update, and make all of your changes. It isn’t necessary to reinstall the application as the data will automatically update on your device.

Thank you for using Windows Phone App Studio

• Proposed as answer by JowieC Wednesday, October 30, 2013 1:58 AM
    • Marked as answer by iShanty Tuesday, November 5, 2013 8:08 AM
    Friday, October 11, 2013 12:31 PM
  • I am new to App studio and would like to show my data which is coming as part of my RSS Feed. Is there a way I can do this through App Studio.

Also, when I select "App studio Data Services" it doesn't do/show anything in the UI which is really confusing. It would be helpful if it can show some description or a short video how it works with data services.

Saturday, November 9, 2013 5:27 AM
  • Hello,

You can add a RSS Section to show your RSS feed. Just paste the url of your RSS Feed in the RSS Datasource created. You can also create an app from a template that uses RSS feeds in order to see how it works.

Inputting data in a collection with “App Studio Data Services” selected works the same as inputting data in a collection with “Static Resources” selected. The difference is that the content in a collection with “App Studio Data Services” can be changed in Windows Phone App Studio after generating the app. The new data will automatically be pushed to the application without having to update the code or publish a new version.

Thank you for using Windows Phone App Studio.

Tuesday, November 26, 2013 5:28 PM