none
Compass Heading vs Display Orientation RRS feed

• Question

• In Windows Mobile devices (tablet and phone), the programmer must consider the device or the display orientation respectively to treat the compass heading correctly.
    In Microsofts UWP documentation there is a table with the compass heading in dependence of the display orientation as follows:

However, I think this table shows only the values for landscape-first devices like tablets.

When I use my windows 8.1 phone, however, it runs still under Windows Mobile 8.1 as OS, and do some tests, I get:

So it seems, there is any difference in using landscape-first vs portrait-first devices. The first ones have compass heading 0, when facing in landscape mode to north, the latter ones have compass heading 0, when facing in portrait mode to north.

However, I used a Windows 8.1 device to do my tests. In Microsofts UWP documentation there is no difference mentioned between the two types of devices converning the compass heading.

So my question is:
    Does the Windows UWP API treat the compass heading in another way than in older Windows devices ?
    Or, do I have to distinguish between landscape-first and portrait-first devices in Windows UWP app, when I use compass heading and I wand to consider the display orientation to show the correct compass direction ?

Thursday, April 5, 2018 10:11 AM

All replies

• Hi Tom,

I have asked another engineer to look at this problem. There will be some time delay.

Thank you for you patience.

Best regards,

Roy

MSDN Community Support
    Please remember to click "Mark as Answer" the responses that resolved your issue, and to click "Unmark as Answer" if not. This can be beneficial to other community members reading this thread. If you have any compliments or complaints to MSDN Support, feel free to contact MSDNFSF@microsoft.com.

Friday, April 6, 2018 6:14 AM
  • Hi Roy

Thanks.
    I think one should try this on a windows 10 mobile  phone device using a simple test app.

Kind regards,
    Tom

Friday, April 6, 2018 7:25 PM
  • Hello,

Thanks for reporting this issue.

When using the compass heading, it should be different between the landscape-first vs portrait-first devices. 

We’ve filed a doc update request for this issue, in the future you can do by yourself by locating to the Feedback part at the bottom of the page or via github. For more detailed steps about filing a document request, please check: https://docs.microsoft.com/en-us/teamblog/a-new-feedback-system-is-coming-to-docs .

Thanks,
    Fang Peng

We are trying to better understand customer views on social support experience, so your participation in this interview project would be greatly appreciated if you have time. Thanks for helping make community forums a great place.
    Click HERE to participate the survey.

Monday, April 16, 2018 2:22 AM
    Owner