none
VS 2017 UWP app Debug build ok but Release Build fails with ILT0005 error RRS feed

• Question

• VS 2017 UWP MVVM project when "Debug x64 Local Machine" is specified for build will build, deploy and execute correctly. When a "Release" build is attempted error:

ILT0005: 'C:\Users\pd252\.nuget\packages\runtime.win10-x64.microsoft.net.native.compiler\2.1.8\tools\x64\ilc\Tools\nutc_driver.exe @"C:\Users\pd252\Al\Programming\source\repos\My Projects\xxxxxxx\yyy\obj\x64\Release\ilc\intermediate\MDIL\DSDLoader.rsp"' returned exit code 1   

- occurs. (the returned exit code varies and can be 1,2,3, 4, 5 apparently randomly) - and the release build fails.

Also the Project References Microsoft Engagement Framework, Microsoft.VCLibs, and Syncfusion Controls for UWP XAML are found when "Debug" build but are not found on "Release" build

Below is VS Release Build output

1>------ Build started: Project: DSDLoader.Core, Configuration: Release Any CPU ------

1>DSDLoader.Core -> C:\Users\pd252\Al - personal\Programming\source\repos\My Projects\DSDLoader V3 - MVVM - work\DSDLoader.Core\bin\Release\netstandard2.0\DSDLoader.Core.dll

2>------ Build started: Project: DSDLoader_3, Configuration: Release x64 ------

2>  DSDLoader_3 -> C:\Users\pd252\Al - personal\Programming\source\repos\My Projects\DSDLoader V3 - MVVM - work\DSDLoader\bin\x64\Release\DSDLoader.exe

2>  Processing application code

2>  Computing application closure and generating interop code

2>    Loading 220 modules...

2>    Generating code...

2>    Interop code generated.

2>  Generating serialization code

2>  Compiling interop code

2>  Generating System.Reflection.DispatchProxy proxy code.

2>  Cleaning up unreferenced code

2>  Generating native code

2>C:\Users\pd252\.nuget\packages\microsoft.net.native.compiler\2.1.8\tools\Microsoft.NetNative.targets(788,5): error : ILT0005: 'C:\Users\pd252\.nuget\packages\runtime.win10-x64.microsoft.net.native.compiler\2.1.8\tools\x64\ilc\Tools\nutc_driver.exe @"C:\Users\pd252\Alxxxxx\Programming\source\repos\My Projects\DSDLoader V3 - MVVM - work\DSDLoader\obj\x64\Release\ilc\intermediate\MDIL\DSDLoader.rsp"' returned exit code 2

========== Build: 1 succeeded, 1 failed, 0 up-to-date, 0 skipped ==========

========== Deploy: 0 succeeded, 0 failed, 0 skipped ==========

Sunday, February 10, 2019 12:33 PM

Answers

• Hello,

UWP app use .NET native compiler when under release mode in order to increase the performance of your app. So we need to debug the problem by enable .NET Native tool chain under debug mode from Your project-Properties->Build->click Compile with .NET Native tool chain checkbox. Please share the result to us so that we can help you troubleshoot this issue.

By the way, it seems like a possible workaround is listed on this thread on DC:

https://developercommunity.visualstudio.com/content/problem/23754/error-on-uwp-release-package-creation-ilt0005-nutc.html

You can see that it might be helpful if you reference individual specific dlls instead of reference the whole SDK.

Best regards,

Barry

MSDN Community Support
    Please remember to click "Mark as Answer" the responses that resolved your issue, and to click "Unmark as Answer" if not. This can be beneficial to other community members reading this thread. If you have any compliments or complaints to MSDN Support, feel free to contact MSDNFSF@microsoft.com.

• Marked as answer by Viz Studio Monday, February 11, 2019 4:43 PM
    • Unmarked as answer by Viz Studio Monday, February 11, 2019 4:44 PM
    • Marked as answer by Viz Studio Monday, February 11, 2019 4:44 PM
    Monday, February 11, 2019 8:40 AM
  • Thank you very much for the response.  The -Properties->Build->click Compile with .NET Native tool chain checkbox was checked when error occured.  I am investigating the workaround you have suggested and it looks like a promising path.  I will let you know how that goes.

Thanks again, Viz

• Marked as answer by Viz Studio Friday, February 15, 2019 8:20 PM
    Monday, February 11, 2019 2:13 PM
  • You can close please, as I took off "compile with .net…" and the release  build now works. thank you viz
    Monday, February 11, 2019 4:46 PM
  • @viz,

Actually when you upload your project to the store, the store will automatically use the .NET Native function. So can you tell us the error info when you turn on .NET Native when under debug mode?

Best regards,

Barry

MSDN Community Support
    Please remember to click "Mark as Answer" the responses that resolved your issue, and to click "Unmark as Answer" if not. This can be beneficial to other community members reading this thread. If you have any compliments or complaints to MSDN Support, feel free to contact MSDNFSF@microsoft.com.

Tuesday, February 12, 2019 1:30 AM
  • ok - I will be happy to do that.  but before I saw this request I am in process of uninstalling VS 2017 and re-installing it to start from scratch.  thank you
    • Marked as answer by Viz Studio Friday, February 15, 2019 8:21 PM
    Tuesday, February 12, 2019 8:23 AM
  • re-installing VS2017 did not fix problem.  when I try a "debug" build with Properties->Build->click Compile with .NET Native tool chain checkbox unchecked it works. as does a "release" build.  but a store build does not. neither does a "debug" nor "release" build with the checkbox checked.

The error info when I turn on .NET Native when under debug mode is "Severity Code Description Project File Line Suppression State
    Error  ILT0005: 'C:\Program Files (x86)\Microsoft SDKs\UWPNuGetPackages\runtime.win10-x64.microsoft.net.native.compiler\2.2.1\tools\x64\ilc\Tools\nutc_driver.exe @"C:\Users\pd252\xxxx\Programming\source\repos\My Projects\DSDLoader xxxxxx\DSDLoader\obj\x64\Release\ilc\intermediate\MDIL\DSDLoader.rsp"' returned exit code 1 DSDLoader_3   

Wednesday, February 13, 2019 1:48 PM
  • The error info when I turn on .NET Native when under debug mode is "Severity Code Description Project File Line Suppression State
    Error  ILT0005: 'C:\Program Files (x86)\Microsoft SDKs\UWPNuGetPackages\runtime.win10-x64.microsoft.net.native.compiler\2.2.1\tools\x64\ilc\Tools\nutc_driver.exe @"C:\Users\pd252\xxxx\Programming\source\repos\My Projects\DSDLoader xxxxxx\DSDLoader\obj\x64\Release\ilc\intermediate\MDIL\DSDLoader.rsp"' returned exit code 1 DSDLoader_3   
    Wednesday, February 13, 2019 1:49 PM

All replies

• Hello,

UWP app use .NET native compiler when under release mode in order to increase the performance of your app. So we need to debug the problem by enable .NET Native tool chain under debug mode from Your project-Properties->Build->click Compile with .NET Native tool chain checkbox. Please share the result to us so that we can help you troubleshoot this issue.

By the way, it seems like a possible workaround is listed on this thread on DC:

https://developercommunity.visualstudio.com/content/problem/23754/error-on-uwp-release-package-creation-ilt0005-nutc.html

You can see that it might be helpful if you reference individual specific dlls instead of reference the whole SDK.

Best regards,

Barry

MSDN Community Support

• Marked as answer by Viz Studio Monday, February 11, 2019 4:43 PM
    • Unmarked as answer by Viz Studio Monday, February 11, 2019 4:44 PM
    • Marked as answer by Viz Studio Monday, February 11, 2019 4:44 PM
    Monday, February 11, 2019 8:40 AM
  • Thank you very much for the response.  The -Properties->Build->click Compile with .NET Native tool chain checkbox was checked when error occured.  I am investigating the workaround you have suggested and it looks like a promising path.  I will let you know how that goes.

Thanks again, Viz

Monday, February 11, 2019 2:13 PM
  • You can close please, as I took off "compile with .net…" and the release  build now works. thank you viz
    Monday, February 11, 2019 4:46 PM
  • @viz,

Actually when you upload your project to the store, the store will automatically use the .NET Native function. So can you tell us the error info when you turn on .NET Native when under debug mode?

Best regards,

Barry

MSDN Community Support

Tuesday, February 12, 2019 1:30 AM
  • ok - I will be happy to do that.  but before I saw this request I am in process of uninstalling VS 2017 and re-installing it to start from scratch.  thank you
    • Marked as answer by Viz Studio Friday, February 15, 2019 8:21 PM
    Tuesday, February 12, 2019 8:23 AM
  • re-installing VS2017 did not fix problem.  when I try a "debug" build with Properties->Build->click Compile with .NET Native tool chain checkbox unchecked it works. as does a "release" build.  but a store build does not. neither does a "debug" nor "release" build with the checkbox checked.

The error info when I turn on .NET Native when under debug mode is "Severity Code Description Project File Line Suppression State

Wednesday, February 13, 2019 1:48 PM
  • The error info when I turn on .NET Native when under debug mode is "Severity Code Description Project File Line Suppression State
    Wednesday, February 13, 2019 1:49 PM
  •  

1. Start VS 2017
    2.    from VS main menu bar File->New->Project and “New Project” window pops-up. Navigate to Installed->Visual C#->Windows Universal->Windows Template Studio -- This is assumes the templates have been added by you – if you do not see the template you must install it:      https://github.com/Microsoft/WindowsTemplateStudio
    3.   New Universal Windows Platform app window comes up. Set:
     a.      Project type = Navigation page
     b.     Design Pattern = Code behind
     c.      Pages = Blank
     d.     Features = default
     e.      Click Create
    4. then test on local machine
     a.  Debug x64 – ok
     b.  Release x64 – ok
     c.  Add syncfusion to solution explorer->references – 16.4.0.52 (latest)
     d.  Debug x64 - ok
     e.  Release x64 – ILT005 error
    version windows 10 home  os 1803  build 17134.590 Visual Studio Enterprise 2017 15.9.7
    Barry Wang wanted to know this, but I need it fixed
    thank you

Saturday, February 16, 2019 9:01 AM
  • @Viz Studio,

Thanks for the info. As the problem is raised by using syncfusion dll or sdk, please raise your question directly to syncfusion support for help. We do not know the details about the code they used which caused .NET Native compiler problem. They should be able to help you find out the root cause.

Best regards,

Barry

MSDN Community Support

Monday, February 18, 2019 5:31 AM