none
no file copy progress indicator in windows 10 RRS feed

• Question

• I noticed that with the latest win10 build 10074 my file manager doesn't show the progress indicator when copying files with drag/drop or copy/paste. The file operation works but there's no progress indicator. xplorer2 does everything by the book using shell folder interfaces, and everything works fine for all windows versions up to windows 8.1 -- but something is different in windows 10?
    Monday, May 11, 2015 5:15 PM

All replies

• Win10 forums are here.

Monday, May 11, 2015 5:35 PM
  • sir, it looks like these forums are just for anoraks like you that constandly "correct" the placement of forum questions. I am not asking a user question but a programming question. I am a programmer and have problems with my code running on windows 10. So where's the forum for that kind of question?
    Tuesday, May 12, 2015 6:09 AM
  • Hi,

>>my file manager doesn't show the progress indicator when copying files with drag/drop or copy/paste

Could you please provide more details about what you have done with your code? We need a reproducible sample for troubleshooting, could you please share some code snippets?

We are trying to better understand customer views on social support experience, so your participation in this interview project would be greatly appreciated if you have time. Thanks for helping make community forums a great place.
    Click HERE to participate the survey.

Wednesday, May 13, 2015 5:27 AM
  • I am using standard shell drag drop operations as explained here

http://netez.com/2xExplorer/shellFAQ/adv_drag.html

You can also try the final product xplorer2, and see that it doesn't show a progress bar in win10

you can try the free lite version from here

www.zabkat.com/x2lite.htm

thanks

Wednesday, May 13, 2015 7:44 AM
  • Hi,

Did you test the same code on the OS below Win10. Such as Win8.1 

Is the code working?

Since Windows 10 didn't release now. I would suggest you develop your app in a released OS. such as Win8.1.

Also, if you assume it's a bug on Win10, You can submit on http://connect.microsoft.com.

Regards,

The future belongs to those who believe in the beauty of their dreams.

Wednesday, May 13, 2015 9:10 AM
  • yes, the code is working from windows 95 all the way to 8.1. It's definitely something with windows 10.
    Thursday, May 14, 2015 7:14 AM
  • I am using standard shell drag drop operations as explained here

http://netez.com/2xExplorer/shellFAQ/adv_drag.html

You can also try the final product xplorer2, and see that it doesn't show a progress bar in win10

you can try the free lite version from here

www.zabkat.com/x2lite.htm

thanks

Hi Crack,

Based on the official Shell File Operations(https://msdn.microsoft.com/en-us/library/windows/desktop/dd940361(v=vs.85).aspx) and Drag-and-Drop Visuals(https://msdn.microsoft.com/en-us/library/windows/desktop/dd940353%28v=vs.85%29.aspx) sample, I can't see a copy progress indicator in Win8.1

DWORD CDragDropVisualsApp::_GetDropEffects()
    {
        DWORD dwEffect;
        if (_UseCustomDataObject())
        {
            dwEffect = DROPEFFECT_MOVE | DROPEFFECT_COPY | DROPEFFECT_LINK;
        }
        else
        {
            dwEffect = DROPEFFECT_NONE;
            IShellItemArray *psiaItems;
            if (SUCCEEDED(_GetSelectedItems(&psiaItems)))
            {
                psiaItems->GetAttributes(SIATTRIBFLAGS_AND, DROPEFFECT_COPY | DROPEFFECT_MOVE | DROPEFFECT_LINK, &dwEffect);
                psiaItems->Release();
            }
        }
        return dwEffect;
    }

Due to our policy, we can't test this third-party product, so could you provide a demo and share with us?

We are trying to better understand customer views on social support experience, so your participation in this interview project would be greatly appreciated if you have time. Thanks for helping make community forums a great place.
    Click HERE to participate the survey.

Friday, May 15, 2015 12:05 PM
  • Are you still seeing this behavior on more recent Windows 10 builds, such as 10130?

Dave Anderson - Microsoft
    Please remember click "Mark As Answer" on the replies that help.

Tuesday, June 2, 2015 10:55 PM
  • I noticed that with the latest win10 build 10074 my file manager doesn't show the progress indicator when copying files with drag/drop or copy/paste. The file operation works but there's no progress indicator. xplorer2 does everything by the book using shell folder interfaces, and everything works fine for all windows versions up to windows 8.1 -- but something is different in windows 10?

are you in need of a control to monitor progress or are you referring to the one used in explorer.exe in windows 10?

M5A99FX

Hardcore Games Legendary is the Only Way to Play!
    Vegan Advocate How can you be an environmentalist and still eat meat?

Wednesday, June 3, 2015 2:55 AM
  • Are you still seeing this behavior on more recent Windows 10 builds, such as 10130?

Dave Anderson - Microsoft
    Please remember click "Mark As Answer" on the replies that help.

I haven't tried any later versions, I will try again when windows 10 is close to final

however YOU can try xplorer2 and see if it shows a progress bar or not. THere is a free trial available here

www.zabkat.com

Wednesday, June 3, 2015 6:08 AM
  • I've just been informed that progress bar is STILL missing in build 10130
    Tuesday, June 9, 2015 4:15 PM
  • A very easy way to see this problem is to use this sample MFC application

http://zabkat.com/test/MFCsample.zip

In essense it does a paste on c:\ folder using IContextMenu::InvokeCommand("paste"). In all older windows versions, copying a large folder results in a file progress bar appearing. In windows 10 there is no progress bar. The copy works blocking the GUI and there's no progress bar. Perhaps now somebody can look into it?

Friday, June 19, 2015 9:40 AM
  • It looks like this was fixed in the latest win10 build, let's hope it will stay like that for the final version
    Monday, July 6, 2015 9:50 AM
  • Uh no.
    Wednesday, June 22, 2016 12:22 PM
  • the moderator link does not work.

Here is the problem.  

I open Windows Explorer on a folder, say c:\myfolder and another windows explorer on another windows folder, say d:\TheOtherFolder

I select all files in c:\myfolder and r-click drag them to d:\TheOtherFolder 

I select "copy" , the same as I have done at least 10,432 times, for 15 years, on XP, 7, win8 and Windows 10 several weeks ago. 

the files all list in d:\TheOtherFolder but they have not copied yet. 

Where is the GUI showing progress, copy speed and filenames? 

rwg

Wednesday, September 28, 2016 12:23 AM