The following forum(s) are migrating to a new home on Microsoft Q&A (Preview): Developing Universal Windows apps!

Ask new questions on Microsoft Q&A (Preview).
Interact with existing posts until December 13, 2019, after which content will be closed to all new and existing posts.

Learn More

none
Hardware needed for Windows Phone 8 emulator. RRS feed

• General discussion

•  

Hi,

Please, somebody tell me if with a laptop with:

3rd Gen Intel® Core™ i3-3217U processor

Features a 3MB L3 cache and 1.8GHz processor speed.

4GB Standard System Memory

Intel® HD Graphics 4000

Feature up to 1664MB total video memory for lush images and vivid detail. HDMI output for flexible connectivity options.

I will have any chance to see the Windows Phone 8 emulator working.

It will be a big difference if the processor is 3rd Gen Intel® Core™ i7-3632QM processor.

ADRIAN DIBU

Tuesday, October 30, 2012 2:58 PM

All replies

• If your running windows 7 you need to upgrade to windows 8 and download vs 2012 and then install the tools. If it runs win 7 it will run the emulator and it will run win 8.

Matthew Montgomery

Tuesday, October 30, 2012 6:16 PM
  • Hi,

Please see the System Requirements section for the WP8 SDK here:

http://www.microsoft.com/en-us/download/details.aspx?id=35471

You need a processor that supports SLAT for the emulator to work, and you need to ensure you have Windows 8 X64 installed.

-Mark

Mark Chamberlain Sr. Escalation Engineer | Microsoft Developer Support | Windows Phone 7

Tuesday, October 30, 2012 6:24 PM
  • FYI: To check if your PC is SLAT capable check out this tool: https://slatstatuscheck.codeplex.com/

-Eric.

Tuesday, October 30, 2012 8:37 PM
  • But why do we need SLAT supported CPU for developing Windows Phone 8 Applications?

Any logical explanation would be welcome.

Tuesday, October 30, 2012 10:59 PM
  • Because the Hyper-V capabilities required to run the Windows Phone 8 OS inside the emulator depend upon SLAT.

You can install the SDK without having SLAT capable CPU but the Emulator will not be available.

-Eric.

Tuesday, October 30, 2012 11:53 PM
  • This tool is kind of useless because it only works on windows 8 only. Wouldn't one want to make sure SLAT is supported before even upgrading to windows 8 for development?
    Wednesday, October 31, 2012 1:44 AM
  • Check the spec sheet for your CPU, for Intel chips you can see if they meet the requirements by checking ark.intel.com (your CPU's page is http://ark.intel.com/products/65697/Intel-Core-i3-3217U-Processor-3M-Cache-1_80-GHz) and see if it supports Intel VT-x with Extended Page Tables.

AMD chips since the Phenom II and Athlon II line are virtually guaranteed to support AMD's SLAT implementation, known as RVI (Rapid Virtualization Indexing), a somewhat out of date list of cores with this support is here http://support.amd.com/us/kbarticles/Pages/GPU120AMDRVICPUsHyperVWin8.aspx.

Turns out your CPU does support SLAT, so you're good.

Wednesday, October 31, 2012 6:42 AM
  • I tried getting it to work last night, but it kept giving me the useless Virtualization error.

I have a I7 Q3820, which according to intel and the coreinfo(?) tool has EPT(SLAT), I enabled both VT, DEP and disabled VT-d but not go. I can't for the love of it find any option in my gigabyte BIOS resembling SLAT or EPT, so there is a good chance it is not enabled.

I do have a Hyper-V core server running, and it would be great if I could run the emulator there. Is this a possibility? This would also be great for testing purposes.

Wednesday, October 31, 2012 8:19 AM
  • My intention is to buy a laptop

Microsoft Windows 8 operating system

Toshiba - Satellite 17.3" Laptop - 4GB Memory - 640GB Hard Drive

3rd Gen Intel® Core™ i3-3110M processor

Features a 3MB cache and 2.4GHz processor speed.

Intel® Core™ i3 processor

Features smart 4-way processing performance for HD quality computing. Intel® HD graphics provide extra graphics power for your laptop when you need it.

4GB DDR3 memory

For multitasking power, expandable to 16GB.

Multiformat DVD±RW/CD-RW drive with double-layer support

Records up to 8.5GB of data or 4 hours of video using compatible DVD+R DL and DVD-R DL media; also supports DVD-RAM.

17.3" LED-backlit TFT high-definition widescreen display

With TruBrite technology and a 1600 x 900 resolution showcases movies and games in stunning clarity.

640GB Serial ATA hard drive (5400 rpm)

Mobile Intel® HD graphics

Please tell me if I will have the chance to see Windows Phone 8 emulator.

Note: I talked with Toshiba Direct and they told me that Windows 8 is 64 bits and Mobile Intel® HD graphics is Intel 4000

Thanks very much for the prompt answers.

ADRIAN DIBU

Wednesday, October 31, 2012 3:48 PM
  • From @snuxoll's link, I could check that i3-3110 does support SLAT so emulator should work. But you will have to have Windows 8 Pro. Probably you will have to customize while shopping online at Toshiba site. So make sure that for this laptop you get Winsows 8 Pro - 64 bit.

ThanQ...

Wednesday, October 31, 2012 4:03 PM
  • Hi,

Thanks for the prompt answer.

The laptop is from Best Buy and I can't configure it.

Why you think I need Windows 8 Pro ?

Thanks

ADRIAN DIBU

Wednesday, October 31, 2012 4:11 PM
  • Hi,

I found why you said.

System requirements

Supported operating systems: Windows 8, Windows 8 Pro

• Windows 8 64-bit (x64) client versions
    • Hardware:
      • 4 GB of free hard disk space
      • 4 GB RAM
      • 64-bit (x64) CPU
    • Windows Phone 8 Emulator:
      • Windows 8 Pro edition or greater
      • Requires a processor that supports Second Level Address Translation (SLAT)

ADRIAN DIBU

Wednesday, October 31, 2012 4:24 PM
  • If you get it from www.toshiba.com then you can configure.

ThanQ...

Wednesday, October 31, 2012 5:17 PM
  • Hi,

Some laptops have UMA graphics.

Are they supporting SLAT?

Thanks

ADRIAN DIBU

Thursday, November 1, 2012 12:37 AM
  • SLAT has nothing to do with the graphics - it's a CPU feature.

Thursday, November 1, 2012 5:03 AM
  • FYI Emulator Troubleshooter here.

Mark Chamberlain Sr. Escalation Engineer | Microsoft Developer Support | Windows Phone 7

Thursday, November 1, 2012 3:11 PM
  • Eric,

On the download page it says: "Please try this on Windows 8 Client machines."  That is the mother of all vague statements.  Does it mean "This tool will only work on machines running Windows 8?"

If so that means I have to go out and buy Windows 8, install it (hopefully leaving all my apps intact) and then run the test to see if I have to throw this computer away or not.

Does it only work on a Windows 8 machine?

Thanks, Dean

.net Developer

Friday, November 2, 2012 4:42 PM
  • Dean,

That tool is for Windows 8 only.

Have a look here for how to check your existing machine. The program linked in that article (CoreInfo) works on Windows XP SP3 and higher.

Friday, November 2, 2012 4:55 PM
  • AMD information is useful but how to know what Intel processors supports SLAT?
    Tuesday, November 13, 2012 6:12 PM
  • You can find more Intel info here, along with community feedback:

Hyper-V: List of SLAT-Capable CPUs for Hosts

-Mark

Tuesday, November 13, 2012 6:35 PM
  • The Intel site would be a good place to look: Intel Virtualization Technology List

Tuesday, November 13, 2012 6:44 PM
  • AMD information is useful but how to know what Intel processors supports SLAT?
    Tuesday, November 13, 2012 8:20 PM

Did you not read the link I provided above?
    Tuesday, November 13, 2012 8:26 PM