none
[W8.1]How to create an app to read a book or a book like app? RRS feed

• Question

• Hello,

Environment

Windows 10 Pro edition, Visual Studio 2015.

Requirement

To create an app (Phone and Universal) for Windows 8.1 or above where the user will flip pages like a book and can bookmark. It will also have index to jump to pages and chapter titles.

Problem

I have a PDF file of 1200+ pages which I managed to break in per page and hence now I have 1200+ PDFs. I am trying to save each PDF as an image but this is increasing the size of the image and maximum compression affects the quality. Now either I save all pages as images which will affect the size of the application or provide user to read PDF. However I do not know how to achieve either of them since I was not able to find any tutorial or guide for the same.

Please advise.

Thank you

Tanzim Akhtar

Wednesday, September 9, 2015 9:03 PM

All replies

• There are PDF APIs for windows 8.1

http://blogs.technet.com/b/pdf_api_blog/archive/2013/11/11/introduction-to-pdf-apis-in-windows-8-1.aspx

Wednesday, September 9, 2015 10:57 PM
  • Thank you Ken.

It doesn't support Phone.

Source:

https://msdn.microsoft.com/en-us/library/windows/apps/windows.data.pdf.aspx

Requirements

Minimum supported client

Windows 8.1

Minimum supported server

Windows Server 2012 R2

Minimum supported phone

None supported

Namespace

Windows.Data.Pdf
    Windows::Data::Pdf [C++]

Metadata

Windows.winmd

Tanzim Akhtar

Friday, September 11, 2015 4:02 PM
  • Component one has a pdf viewer control for phone and store
    Saturday, September 12, 2015 12:52 PM
  • Component one is using WinRT for the PDF controls. However it is not officially supported as per Microsoft for Windows Phone. We do not want to have bugs after developing the solution. Moreover we do not want to depend on a third party for this because then we will have to depend on the update and patches from this third party.

If there is no PDF solution for Windows Phone from Microsoft then the other option could be using images for flipping pages and marking the bookmark.

Can you or someone direct me to that direction please.

Thank you and

Regards

Tanzim Akhtar

Saturday, September 12, 2015 2:11 PM
  • How about using FlipView to display these images? But it's hard to make the page flipping animation as iBooks on iOS...

Best Regards,
    Please remember to mark the replies as answers if they help

Thursday, September 24, 2015 2:14 AM
  • Thank you IssueKiller,

The FlipView looks closer to what I am looking for but doesn't whether it will support the bookmarks. I will have to keep looking and try FlipView too and see.

Best regards

Tanzim Akhtar

Sunday, September 27, 2015 10:12 AM