none
[UWP]Issue with Localization of Apps - when using App Bundle RRS feed

• Question

• Dear All,

I’m having issues with Localization in my applications.
    I’ve been fighting with it for many days now, and I’m a bit off already.

The thing is that I downloaded an example from Microsoft and I see the same behavior.
    So it looks like something not working in general, not only in my applications.

Here is the link to the example:
    https://code.msdn.microsoft.com/How-to-Create-a-localizatio-c61f4b37

I describe what happens to me. I hope you can reproduce the issue:

I open the project in Visual Studio.
    I test it in Debug or Release. I can change the languages correctly.
    I select English and click Apply and the application changes the language to English.
    I select Chinese and click Apply and the application changes the language to Chinese.
    Everything works correctly.

I create the App Package.
    I do it with Generate App Bundle Never.
    I install it to test it running the Add-AppDevPackage.ps1
    I select English and click Apply and the application changes the language to English.
    I select Chinese and click Apply and the application changes the language to Chinese.
    Everything works correctly.

I create the App Package.
    I do it with Generate App Bundle Always.
    I install it to test it running the Add-AppDevPackage.ps1
    I select the Languages and click Apply and the application does not change the languages.
    The application always runs in English and does not change the languages.
    It does not work at all.

This is the same same behavior that I have when I upload applications to the store. If I upload my applications with App Bundle they are always in English and they don’t change the language, even if the primary language in the device is for example Spanish, the application runs in English.

So my conclusion is that when creating the App Bundle, localization stops working.

I can create my applications without App Bundle. This is no issue.
    But the problem is that I already uploaded my applications with Bundle. So now when I try to upload the application without the Bundle, I get the error: “A previous submission for this app was released with a Windows 10 appxbundle. Subsequent submissions must continue to contain a Windows 10 appxbundle.”

Can you confirm that this is a general issue? In that case, could you add this information in the Localization guidelines so it informs not to use App Bundle?
    Finally, I want to add that when creating the application with App Bundle I get some packages in the folder of my project: _language-es.appx. So it is detecting the language resources but for some reason it does not include them in the Package. Hope this helps for something.

In my case, as I cannot upload the application without Bundle, and I cannot make it work, I’m thinking about localizing my application adding code behind.

I hope all this information helps to clarify a bit more the issue.

Thanks a lot for your help,
    Kind regards,
    Pedro Aumaitre.

Monday, August 29, 2016 8:22 PM

Answers

• Hello,

Welcome to the Developing Universal Windows apps forum! 

Please read the sticky posts, especially the Guide to posting: subject line tags and Known Issues for Windows 10 SDK and Tools .

>>If I upload my applications with App Bundle they are always in English and they don’t change the language, even if the primary language in the device is for example Spanish, the application runs in English.

If you do not have the Resources.resw for the Spanish in your application, it will run in English. If you have already added the Resources.resw for the Spanish in your application, it should run in Spanish when you set the Spanish as the primary language.

>>Finally, I want to add that when creating the application with App Bundle I get some packages in the folder of my project: _language-es.appx. So it is detecting the language resources but for some reason it does not include them in the Package. Hope this helps for something.

When we use the Appx Bundle by setting it as "always" or “if needed”, by default it will only download the resources file relevant to the language of the device. For more information, please check my reply in here:
    UWP:Resource file for languages is not deployed correctly.
    If you want to use the Appx Bundle and keep all the language resources in the package as well, please follow the steps mentioned in this article: Windows 8.1 Store apps: Ensure that resources are installed on a device regardless of whether a device requires them, although this article is used for Windows 8.1 Store apps, I have tested in my side and it works for UWP as well.

Best Regards,
    Amy Peng

We are trying to better understand customer views on social support experience, so your participation in this interview project would be greatly appreciated if you have time. Thanks for helping make community forums a great place.
    Click HERE to participate the survey.

Wednesday, September 7, 2016 6:12 AM
    Owner

All replies

• Hello,

Welcome to the Developing Universal Windows apps forum! 

Please read the sticky posts, especially the Guide to posting: subject line tags and Known Issues for Windows 10 SDK and Tools .

>>If I upload my applications with App Bundle they are always in English and they don’t change the language, even if the primary language in the device is for example Spanish, the application runs in English.

If you do not have the Resources.resw for the Spanish in your application, it will run in English. If you have already added the Resources.resw for the Spanish in your application, it should run in Spanish when you set the Spanish as the primary language.

>>Finally, I want to add that when creating the application with App Bundle I get some packages in the folder of my project: _language-es.appx. So it is detecting the language resources but for some reason it does not include them in the Package. Hope this helps for something.

When we use the Appx Bundle by setting it as "always" or “if needed”, by default it will only download the resources file relevant to the language of the device. For more information, please check my reply in here:
    UWP:Resource file for languages is not deployed correctly.
    If you want to use the Appx Bundle and keep all the language resources in the package as well, please follow the steps mentioned in this article: Windows 8.1 Store apps: Ensure that resources are installed on a device regardless of whether a device requires them, although this article is used for Windows 8.1 Store apps, I have tested in my side and it works for UWP as well.

Best Regards,
    Amy Peng

We are trying to better understand customer views on social support experience, so your participation in this interview project would be greatly appreciated if you have time. Thanks for helping make community forums a great place.
    Click HERE to participate the survey.

Wednesday, September 7, 2016 6:12 AM
    Owner
  • I have the same issue and, unfortunately, I don't have solution for it. Have anybody managed to resolve the issue?

UPDATE: I found out that Visual Studio by some reason, doesn't always include *language-*.appx packages in the *.appxbundle package. To fix this you should remove all auto-generated folders and files like bin, obj, etc. and after that regenerate package for the Store. Before upload to the Store, you should check that all language packages are in your *.appxbundle package.

• Edited by Alexander Lysenko Wednesday, November 23, 2016 3:13 PM found a workaround for the issue
    Monday, November 21, 2016 11:27 AM