is it possible to change languages within a voice command? RRS feed

• Question

• I'm looking to incorporate WP8 voice commands into a language app that I have and I'm looking over the samples and documentation. I see how to localize for different languages, but I was wondering if it's possible to change the language for a search term.

Let's say, for English, I want to search for 'cat,' I would use something like, 'My app search for cat' or 'My app cat' and have it run a search for 'cat.'

Let's say the user wants to look up a word in Spanish, 'gato' (cat). Could I do something like, 'My app search gato in Spanish' to tell the speech recognition that the part between 'My app' and 'in Spanish' is the part that needs to be deciphered into speech and the target language is Spanish? I doubt that it's possible with a voice command, but I was just curious and thought it'd be kind of cool.

Michael DiLeo

Thursday, May 2, 2013 4:48 PM

Answers

• The user chooses the Speech language preference in the phone settings.  The system will attempt to predict what command the user is saying based on this preference.

-Eric.

• Marked as answer by mcd023 Friday, May 3, 2013 5:11 PM
    Friday, May 3, 2013 5:04 PM

All replies

• The user chooses the Speech language preference in the phone settings.  The system will attempt to predict what command the user is saying based on this preference.

-Eric.

• Marked as answer by mcd023 Friday, May 3, 2013 5:11 PM
    Friday, May 3, 2013 5:04 PM
  • Michael,

You can change the language of your voice command definition file (VCD) but loading a new VCD file from local storage.  I have done this and it works.

The catch is that you then have to use a speech recognizer for the new language region of your new VCD (e.g. es-US is different from es-MX and a VCD for one will not be read by a recognizer for the other).  I have not tried this part but I think if you read: http://msdn.microsoft.com/en-us/library/windows/apps/jj206965%28v=vs.105%29.aspx you can during run-time load and use a speech recognizer that matches the 'lang' attribute of your VCD. 

Good luck!

Wednesday, October 15, 2014 6:31 PM