none
App-Manifest using customInstall RRS feed

• Question

• Hi all,

I try to deploy an app to the Windows Store that uses customInstallAction. But every package I create fails on installation with the message that the Appx-Manifest is invalid. But I do not know what is invalid and how to overcome this. I used the example from the documentation and especially checked the TargetDeviceFamily and the namespaces (as the customInstallActions are only available in 1903 and above).

Can someone have a look at my manifest and tell me, what I'm doing wrong or what I'm missing? Thank you!

Kind regards,

TopperDEL

<?xml version="1.0" encoding="utf-8"?>

<Package
      xmlns="http://schemas.microsoft.com/appx/manifest/foundation/windows10"
      xmlns:uap="http://schemas.microsoft.com/appx/manifest/uap/windows10"
      xmlns:desktop6="http://schemas.microsoft.com/appx/manifest/desktop/windows10/6"
      xmlns:rescap="http://schemas.microsoft.com/appx/manifest/foundation/windows10/restrictedcapabilities"
      xmlns:desktop="http://schemas.microsoft.com/appx/manifest/desktop/windows10"
      IgnorableNamespaces="uap rescap desktop6">

<Identity
        Name="8916TimParth.Tardigrade-Drive"
        Publisher="CN=MY_PUBLISHER_ID_REMOVED_HERE"
        Version="0.1.24.0" />

<Properties>
        <DisplayName>Tardigrade-Drive</DisplayName>
        <PublisherDisplayName>Tim Parth</PublisherDisplayName>
        <Logo>Images\StoreLogo.png</Logo>
      </Properties>

<Dependencies>
        <TargetDeviceFamily Name="Windows.Desktop" MinVersion="10.0.18362.0" MaxVersionTested="10.0.18362.0" />
      </Dependencies>

<Resources>
        <Resource Language="x-generate"/>
      </Resources>

<Extensions>
        <desktop6:Extension Category="windows.customInstall">
          <desktop6:CustomInstall Folder="DokanInstaller">
            <desktop6:InstallActions>
              <desktop6:InstallAction File="DokanSetup_redist.exe" Name="Dokan_1" Arguments="/install /quiet /norestart" />
            </desktop6:InstallActions>
            <!--<desktop6:RepairActions>
              <desktop6:RepairAction File="DokanSetup_redist.exe" Name="Dokan_1" Arguments="/add /silent /force" />
            </desktop6:RepairActions>
            <desktop6:UninstallActions>
              <desktop6:UninstallAction File="DokanSetup_redist.exe" Name="Dokan_1" Arguments="/remove /silent" />
            </desktop6:UninstallActions>-->
          </desktop6:CustomInstall>
        </desktop6:Extension>
      </Extensions>

<Applications>
        <Application Id="App"
          Executable="$targetnametoken$.exe"
          EntryPoint="$targetentrypoint$">
          <uap:VisualElements
            DisplayName="Tardigrade-Drive"
            Description="Makes it possible to mount a Tardigrad-cloud-storage-bucket as a Windows-Drive"
            BackgroundColor="transparent"
            Square150x150Logo="Images\Square150x150Logo.png"
            Square44x44Logo="Images\Square44x44Logo.png">
            <uap:DefaultTile Wide310x150Logo="Images\Wide310x150Logo.png"  Square71x71Logo="Images\SmallTile.png" Square310x310Logo="Images\LargeTile.png"/>
            <uap:SplashScreen Image="Images\SplashScreen.png"  BackgroundColor="white"/>
          </uap:VisualElements>
          <Extensions>
            <uap:Extension Category="windows.appService">
              <uap:AppService Name="SystrayExtensionService" />
            </uap:Extension>
            <desktop:Extension Category="windows.fullTrustProcess" Executable="DokanNet.Tardigrade.UWP.SysTray\DokanNet.Tardigrade.UWP.SysTray.exe" />
          </Extensions>
        </Application>
      </Applications>

<Capabilities>
        <Capability Name="internetClient" />
        <rescap:Capability Name="runFullTrust" />
        <rescap:Capability Name="customInstallActions"/>
      </Capabilities>
    </Package>

Wednesday, July 1, 2020 9:06 AM

Answers

• Hi,

You could check @mcleanbyron's comment. He also mentioned that desktop6:CustomInstall is not suitable for everyone to use.

Best regards,

Roy

"Developing Universal Windows apps" forum will be migrating to a new home on Microsoft Q&A (Preview)!
    We invite you to post new questions in the "Developing Universal Windows apps" forum’s new home on Microsoft Q&A (Preview)!
    For more information, please refer to the sticky post.

• Marked as answer by TopperDEL2 Friday, July 3, 2020 6:39 AM
    Friday, July 3, 2020 2:44 AM

All replies

• Hi,

desktop6:CustomInstall is not suitable for everyone to use. 

In this document - Restricted capabilities, it mentions 'customInstallActions capability is designed for certain types of desktop PC games that are published by Microsoft and our partners. It will not be granted for other scenarios.'

Also, in this document - desktop6:CustomInstall, it mentions 'This element is currently intended to be used only by certain types of desktop PC games that are published by Microsoft and our partners.'

Only if you are Microsoft partners, you could use this element. If you are not, you can't use it. 

Best regards,

Roy

"Developing Universal Windows apps" forum will be migrating to a new home on Microsoft Q&A (Preview)!
    We invite you to post new questions in the "Developing Universal Windows apps" forum’s new home on Microsoft Q&A (Preview)!

Thursday, July 2, 2020 1:52 AM
  • Thank you, Roy!

But "will not be granted" and "won't work" are two different things. And I found a Github-issue where someone tried to do the same and it sounded like it should be possible for everybody, now. See here:

https://github.com/MicrosoftDocs/winrt-related/issues/194#event-3493578241

Thursday, July 2, 2020 9:08 AM
  • Hi,

You could check @mcleanbyron's comment. He also mentioned that desktop6:CustomInstall is not suitable for everyone to use.

Best regards,

Roy

• Marked as answer by TopperDEL2 Friday, July 3, 2020 6:39 AM
    Friday, July 3, 2020 2:44 AM
  • Yes, I saw that comment. Then it is definitely clear, now.

Thank you, Roy!

Friday, July 3, 2020 6:38 AM