none
[UWP][C#]What are the Supported Languages for SpeechRecognition Class ?

Question

• Hi ,

I'm building a UWP using VS2015 ,XAML and C# .

I have in my laptop two languages installed. Greek and English

When I use the below lines of code I'm getting an exception

var language = new Windows.Globalization.Language("el");
                    speechRecognizer = new SpeechRecognizer(language);

I'm trying to make the speechrecognizer class to understand Greek.

With the English language it is working fine. Below is the exception that I'm getting.

The text associated with this error code could not be found.
    The requested language is not supported.

Is it something else that I need to do ?

Is it something that I'm doing wrong?

One more question.

Speech recognition requires Internet Connection ? I have windows 10 OS

thank you

Thursday, March 16, 2017 10:36 AM

Answers

• Hi zakkar,

The language that you can used to instantiate the SpeechRecognizer object needs to be supported on your device. I have tested on the devices with different OS version. On the OS version 14393, there is no an option for adding the Greek language speech in the Greek options in the Language setting. But on the OS version 15055, it has it. So you should make sure that whether the Greek language speech is installed on your devices as the following image.

Best regards,

Breeze Liu

MSDN Community Support
    Please remember to click "Mark as Answer" the responses that resolved your issue, and to click "Unmark as Answer" if not. This can be beneficial to other community members reading this thread. If you have any compliments or complaints to MSDN Support, feel free to contact MSDNFSF@microsoft.com.

• Marked as answer by zakkar Monday, March 20, 2017 1:30 PM
    Friday, March 17, 2017 8:29 AM

All replies

• Hi zakkar,

The language that you can used to instantiate the SpeechRecognizer object needs to be supported on your device. I have tested on the devices with different OS version. On the OS version 14393, there is no an option for adding the Greek language speech in the Greek options in the Language setting. But on the OS version 15055, it has it. So you should make sure that whether the Greek language speech is installed on your devices as the following image.

Best regards,

Breeze Liu

MSDN Community Support
    Please remember to click "Mark as Answer" the responses that resolved your issue, and to click "Unmark as Answer" if not. This can be beneficial to other community members reading this thread. If you have any compliments or complaints to MSDN Support, feel free to contact MSDNFSF@microsoft.com.

• Marked as answer by zakkar Monday, March 20, 2017 1:30 PM
    Friday, March 17, 2017 8:29 AM
  • Hi Breeze ,

thank you for your help. Didn't notice the version.

Monday, March 20, 2017 1:30 PM