[W8.1]Cannot deserialize XBF metadata property list as 'Padding' on Windows 8.1 but not Windows 10 RRS feed

• Question

• Hi,

our Windows 8.1 universal application does crash on Windows 8.1 (Phone 8.1 and Windows 10 is fine) on startup since our newest update. The only error we can collect by Logging is:

Cannot deserialize XBF metadata property list as 'Padding' was not found in type
    'null'. [Line: 947 Position: 37] StackTrace: 

So there is no StackTrace we can use. In this update there have been no changes on dependency properties especially no new Bindings to Padding I know of. We build the solution with Visual Studio 2013 Update 5 on a Windows 10 (presumably RTM version 10240) machine.

Thanks in advance

Tuesday, July 28, 2015 8:13 AM

Answers

• We were able to rebuild the app from a Windows 8.1 system with no changes to the code other than bumping version numbers, submit it to the store, and we no longer saw the issue when the new version was deployed to users.  That system used Visual Studio 2013 Ultimate, Update 4.  (We saw the problem when building using Visual Studio 2015 on a Windows 10 Build 10240 system).
    Friday, July 31, 2015 8:28 PM
  • This issue should have been fixed in Windows 10 1511 update and VS2015 2015 update 1.
    • Marked as answer by Danny Wernicke Sunday, January 24, 2016 12:40 PM
    Wednesday, December 9, 2015 7:14 AM

All replies

• I am having the exact same problem, with the exception that I see the problem in Visual Studio 2015 as well.

This is an app that was released a few weeks ago using VS 2013, built on an 8.1 system, without the error.

After moving to Win 10 (build 10240 + updates) this error occurs in newly published versions, but only in the field (Win 8.1 tablets).  I cannot reproduce the problem yet on my own Win 10 machine.

Tuesday, July 28, 2015 1:17 PM
  • Hi philipp.bartsch,

From your description, there are two possible reasons: Visual Studio 2013 Update 5 or Windows 10

So if possible, could you try to test your project using Visual Studio 2013 Update 5 on Windows 8.1?

Or could you please try to provide a minimized sample, we can try to reproduce it on our side.

If it is very urgent call, please contact our paid phone support at http://aka.ms/storesupport . You will get 1:1 support on that. Please kindly note that your support ticket will be free if it is Microsoft's issue.

We are trying to better understand customer views on social support experience, so your participation in this interview project would be greatly appreciated if you have time. Thanks for helping make community forums a great place.
    Click HERE to participate the survey.

Friday, July 31, 2015 2:51 AM
  • We were able to rebuild the app from a Windows 8.1 system with no changes to the code other than bumping version numbers, submit it to the store, and we no longer saw the issue when the new version was deployed to users.  That system used Visual Studio 2013 Ultimate, Update 4.  (We saw the problem when building using Visual Studio 2015 on a Windows 10 Build 10240 system).
    Friday, July 31, 2015 8:28 PM
  • In your app, do you use GridViewItemPresenter.Padding or ListViewItemPresenter.Padding? If so, it is known bug and we are working on a fix.
    Saturday, August 1, 2015 12:06 AM
  • Using Visual Studio 2013 Update 5 in Windows 8.1 was our solution as well. We seem to have the exact same problem as spainb.

I can't really create a smaller solution to reproduce the bug because this would mean releasing an app to the public which I honestly don't dare to do at the moment. I'm very happy Win 10 will allow us to publish private beta apps. This is much needed to spot problems like this.

We use ListViewItemPresenter.Padding in one place (styling ListViewItems). I hope you found the problem. 

Saturday, August 1, 2015 6:22 AM
  • Yes, we are setting Padding in a ListViewItemPresenter as well.  Below is an example Style it is used in:

<Style x:Key="DefaultListViewItem"
               TargetType="ListViewItem">
            <Setter Property="FontFamily"
                    Value="{ThemeResource ContentControlThemeFontFamily}" />
            <Setter Property="FontSize"
                    Value="{ThemeResource ControlContentThemeFontSize}" />
            <Setter Property="Background"
                    Value="Transparent" />
            <Setter Property="TabNavigation"
                    Value="Local" />
            <Setter Property="IsHoldingEnabled"
                    Value="True" />
            <!--<Setter Property="Margin"
    				  Value="0,0,18,2" />-->

<Setter Property="Margin"
                    Value="0,0,0,0" />
            <Setter Property="Padding"
                    Value="20,0,0,0" />
            <Setter Property="HorizontalContentAlignment"
                    Value="Left" />
            <Setter Property="VerticalContentAlignment"
                    Value="Top" />
            <Setter Property="Template">
                <Setter.Value>
                    <ControlTemplate TargetType="ListViewItem">
                        <ListViewItemPresenter ContentTransitions="{TemplateBinding ContentTransitions}"
                                               Padding="{TemplateBinding Padding}"
                                               SelectionCheckMarkVisualEnabled="True"
                                               CheckHintBrush="{ThemeResource ListViewItemCheckHintThemeBrush}"
                                               CheckSelectingBrush="{ThemeResource ListViewItemCheckSelectingThemeBrush}"
                                               CheckBrush="{ThemeResource ListViewItemCheckThemeBrush}"
                                               DragBackground="{ThemeResource ListViewItemDragBackgroundThemeBrush}"
                                               DragForeground="{ThemeResource ListViewItemDragForegroundThemeBrush}"
                                               Foreground="{StaticResource PrimaryForegroundBrush}"
                                               FocusBorderBrush="{ThemeResource ListViewItemFocusBorderThemeBrush}"
                                               PlaceholderBackground="{ThemeResource ListViewItemPlaceholderBackgroundThemeBrush}"
                                               PointerOverBackground="{ThemeResource ListViewItemPointerOverBackgroundThemeBrush}"
                                               SelectedBorderThickness="{ThemeResource ListViewItemCompactSelectedBorderThemeThickness}"
                                               SelectedBackground="{ThemeResource ListViewItemSelectedBackgroundThemeBrush}"
                                               SelectedForeground="{StaticResource SecondaryForegroundBrush}"
                                               SelectedPointerOverBackground="{ThemeResource ListViewItemSelectedPointerOverBackgroundThemeBrush}"
                                               SelectedPointerOverBorderBrush="{ThemeResource ListViewItemSelectedPointerOverBorderThemeBrush}"
                                               DisabledOpacity="{ThemeResource ListViewItemDisabledThemeOpacity}"
                                               DragOpacity="{ThemeResource ListViewItemDragThemeOpacity}"
                                               ReorderHintOffset="{ThemeResource ListViewItemReorderHintThemeOffset}"
                                               HorizontalContentAlignment="{TemplateBinding HorizontalContentAlignment}"
                                               VerticalContentAlignment="{TemplateBinding VerticalContentAlignment}"
                                               PointerOverBackgroundMargin="1"
                                               ContentMargin="4" />
                    </ControlTemplate>
                </Setter.Value>
            </Setter>
        </Style>

Saturday, August 1, 2015 6:24 PM
  • I am seeing the same problem. In my case I am building in Visual Studio 2015 on Windows 10 10240 and remote debugging on a Windows 8.1 Update 1 machine. An exception is thrown if the ListViewItemPresenter element has the attributes Padding, HorizontalContentAlignment, or VerticalContentAlignment set.
    Wednesday, August 5, 2015 5:05 AM
  • Same bug here! 

"Cannot deserialize XBF metadata property list as 'Padding' was not found in type 'null'. [Line: 10 Position: 25]"

Windows 8.1 app, when built on VS2013 it works both on Windows 8.1 and Windows 10. When built in VS2015 RTM, it works on Windows 10 but crashes on Windows 8.1.

We had to compile it on Windows 8.1 machine running VS2013 for the Store.

This should be fixed really soon because devs expect Windows 8.1 apps to behave 1:1 when built on VS2013 and VS2015.

Edit: here's a simple repro, just paste this into Blank Windows 8.1 project, build it in VS2015 and run it on Windows 8.1: http://pastebin.com/bi7xM2h8

Wednesday, August 12, 2015 8:03 AM
  • Same bug here!

I'm using VS2013, when I build on my W8.1, it works for W8.1 and W10 users.

Now I updated my pc to W10, but I still use VS2013.

Now, when I build, it works for W10 users, but it crashes for W8.1 users!

What can we do? I have to downgrade my machine? :(

Gustavo

Friday, August 21, 2015 5:17 AM
  • Same problem here.

Cannot deserialize XBF metadata property list as 'Padding' was not found in type 'null'. [Line: 0 Position: 0]

We already have a lot of complaints about this issue, I don't know what to do.

I updated my pc to W10, but I still use VS2013.

Now, when I build, it works for W10 users, but it crashes for W8.1 users!

Have to downgrade my machine to build to W8.1 users?

Gustavo

Tuesday, August 25, 2015 12:39 AM
  • Hello all,

Faced exactly the same issue.

As @AssistantX mentioned the crash happens when you change the default ListViewItem properties (Padding, HorizontalContentAlignment, VerticalContentAlignment) and you're building an app in VS 2015, Windows 10.

An idea of downgrading the system was not acceptable by me, so here's a solution:

[WORKAROUND]

I had to replace all the ListViewItem styles that used ListViewItemPresenter with the "ListViewItemExpanded" style. You can take it here: https://msdn.microsoft.com/en-us/library/windows/apps/xaml/jj709921.aspx (the second default style) and modify it to match your design.

• Proposed as answer by AndriiP Tuesday, August 25, 2015 10:58 AM
    Tuesday, August 25, 2015 10:56 AM
  • Hi, I've got the same problem too, so I am very concerned about when will this bug will be fixed. thanks!
    Tuesday, September 8, 2015 7:56 AM
  • I'm seeing this with GridViewItemPresenter on Padding, HorizontalContentAlignment and VerticalContentAlignment properties on a build with VS2013.5 targeting any platform when deployed to ARM.

I don't see the problem with x86 machines.

Where is the documentation on the bug, Yingwei Lin?

Sunday, September 20, 2015 9:07 AM
  • Hi,

I'm experiencing this same issue (when building a Store app with VS2015 on Windows 10). The app doesn't start on Windows 8.1 machines because of that error "Cannot deserialize XBF metadata property list as ...."

Please provide ASAP an official fix for this or a workaround.

Thanks,

www.eclo-mobile.com

Thursday, October 29, 2015 2:55 PM
  • Jose:

Our work around to this problem was to maintain our application on a Windows 8.1 machine, and develop within Visual Studio 2013.  This is *really* not our preferred solution, but luckily, we discovered the issue just before upgrading the machine to Windows 10 and Visual Studio 2015.  This is now the only solution on that box, as the rest of our development has moved to a newer Windows 10 system.

Although Microsoft has acknowledged the issue, I have not heard anything about a fix from them yet.  But we never see this problem until the app gets downloaded and run from the Store, so there's way for us to confirm that anything has changed without potentially shipping a bad app in the process.

-Bill

Friday, October 30, 2015 7:08 PM
  • Bill,

Thank you for your suggestions. Unfortunately we already have upgraded all our build machines to Windows 10.

We ended up following AndriiP suggestion above for replacing the styles that had ListViewItem. That did it.

Apparently this a know (and quite serious!!) issue. I can see that it's around since July and I'm astonished that there is no official fix published and or any official documented know issue. I mean this a breaking issue that is impacting user experience and it's kind of hard to debug the root cause of it. So I would say that this should be fixed ASAP and not having to wait for the next VS2015 update.

www.eclo-mobile.com

Wednesday, November 4, 2015 2:35 PM
  • Hi, like everyone here I have faced the same problem. 
    I had to roll back to windows 8.1 to be able to continue my work.

I'd like to ask if anybody has tried the visual studio 2015 update 1 and if it fixes the problem.

Reading the update notes I don't see any reference to this bug.

Wednesday, December 2, 2015 9:38 AM
  • This issue should have been fixed in Windows 10 1511 update and VS2015 2015 update 1.
    • Marked as answer by Danny Wernicke Sunday, January 24, 2016 12:40 PM
    Wednesday, December 9, 2015 7:14 AM

It isn't.  I am still getting these errors about HorizontalContentAlignment and such.  Works on win10, doesn't run on win8x.

Thursday, December 10, 2015 5:56 PM

It isn't.  I am still getting these errors about HorizontalContentAlignment and such.  Works on win10, doesn't run on win8x.

For me it appears to be solved. I tried it on a project that didn't work when deploying to win8.x and now it does
    Wednesday, December 23, 2015 10:00 AM
  • It's working for me too.
    Wednesday, January 13, 2016 12:48 PM
  • Yes, the problem is fixed for us as well.
    Sunday, January 24, 2016 12:40 PM