none
Lumia 920 portrait photos upside down

Question

• Well, I have been testing WP7 camera apps on Nokia Lumia 920. Results indicate that the support for WP7/7.1 apps is flawed. There are definite problems with camera api and some really weird problems that I can’t figure out what the root cause is. But I have problems with my own app and similar with apps I have downloaded from Store.

Simple example is to take Basic Camera Sample. Run it on Lumia 920 and you have nice upside down view of yourself if you hold the phone in portrait position. Remove the front facing camera initialization from the MainPage.xml.cs to create a real camera app and run again on Lumia 920. Take a photo keeping the phone in portrait and check out the result on Media Library. It’s upside down.

Really annoying.

And yes the app works correctly on Lumia 710.

Sunday, November 25, 2012 10:29 PM

Answers

• I believe I found the problem; as a known issue that was recently fixed. The title of the internal issue is "Orientation is not set correctly on captured JPEGs for either portrait mode".

The fix will likely take time to propagate to Nokia and then eventually as an OS update. I do not have a time frame for this.

Hope this helps,
    Mark

Mark Chamberlain Sr. Escalation Engineer | Microsoft Developer Support | Windows Phone 8

Wednesday, December 19, 2012 6:45 PM

All replies

• Hi,

I see this effect too, using a Lumia 920 phone that was produced for developer use.

Can you ping the Nokia community regarding this issue that apparently is specific to their device?

http://www.developer.nokia.com/Community/Wiki/Category:Windows_Phone

-Mark

Mark Chamberlain Sr. Escalation Engineer | Microsoft Developer Support | Windows Phone 7

Monday, November 26, 2012 6:57 PM
  • I'm developer of Handyscan.

Both users of HTC 8x and Lumia 920 are reporting this issue. So not device specific. WP8 emulator does fine, not real devices.

Is there something we can do? (rather than adding extra image processing to flip)

• Edited by Jandieg Wednesday, December 12, 2012 5:30 PM
    Wednesday, December 12, 2012 5:30 PM
  • Also doing the following takes 5 seconds to initialize:

cam = new Microsoft.Devices.PhotoCamera();

Then if you do cam.Resolution = myResolution it takes extra 4 seconds.

9 seconds of completely frozen UI!!

Regards

Wednesday, December 12, 2012 10:26 PM
  • Anyone from Microsoft that can confirm this WP8 incompatibility problem for WP7 apps using the Camera API? Any solution to this?
    Wednesday, December 19, 2012 10:05 AM
  • I've seen similar cases where a WP7.x application failed to work properly on a Nokia 920 and an HTC 8X, but worked fine on a Nokia 820. So, while the problem may not be Nokia specific, it could still be device specific.

Wednesday, December 19, 2012 6:29 PM
  • I believe I found the problem; as a known issue that was recently fixed. The title of the internal issue is "Orientation is not set correctly on captured JPEGs for either portrait mode".

The fix will likely take time to propagate to Nokia and then eventually as an OS update. I do not have a time frame for this.

Hope this helps,
    Mark

Mark Chamberlain Sr. Escalation Engineer | Microsoft Developer Support | Windows Phone 8

Wednesday, December 19, 2012 6:45 PM