The following forum(s) are migrating to a new home on Microsoft Q&A (Preview): Developing Universal Windows apps!

Ask new questions on Microsoft Q&A (Preview).
Interact with existing posts until December 13, 2019, after which content will be closed to all new and existing posts.

Learn More

none
Playback issue on high refresh and resolution monitors. RRS feed

• Question

• I'm currently working on an UWP app written in C# to play video files. Recently i've encountered an issue where the videoplayback is useless. The Frame rate counter in debug shows the video playing with 12FPS, and this only happens on screens that have higher refresh rate than 60Hz and higher resolution than 1080p. By enabling Vertical Sync (vsync) in nvidia control panel the app is able to play the videos properly. I've also experienced this with the playback sample in the Windows-Universal-samples repository.

The issue is present in both MediaElement and MediaPlayerElement

Any suggestions or ideas on how to solve this? 

• Edited by Brageskj Monday, November 11, 2019 5:59 PM
    Monday, November 11, 2019 5:57 PM

All replies

• Hi,

Could you please share more information about this with me?

What's the video content type that you are playing?

Is it a local file playback or you are getting streaming from a server?

These information could help us to clarify the issue.

Besides, We invite you to post new questions in the "Developing Universal Windows apps" forum’s new home on Microsoft Q&A (Preview)!

Best regards,

Roy

"Developing Universal Windows apps" forum will be migrating to a new home on Microsoft Q&A (Preview)!
    We invite you to post new questions in the "Developing Universal Windows apps" forum’s new home on Microsoft Q&A (Preview)!
    For more information, please refer to the sticky post.

Tuesday, November 12, 2019 1:52 AM
  • Hi,

The video stream is from a server.

The issue is present both on ethernet and wifi connections, from both a remote server as: mediaplatstorage1.blob.core.windows.net and from a local server.

The lenght of the video file does not matter, as the examples from the Universal samples are only a few seconds.

As for the codec it happens on both H264 and H265, as well as mp4 and mkv.

The weird thing is that this issue is not present in the Windows Movies and TV app.

Issue appears on this sample: https://github.com/microsoft/Windows-universal-samples/tree/master/Samples/VideoPlayback as well as in my app. Both uses the MediaPlayerElement.

Issue is present for both local video file and remote video file. (tested on the VideoPlayback sample)

• Edited by Brageskj Thursday, November 14, 2019 2:22 PM
    Thursday, November 14, 2019 2:21 PM
  • Hi,

So you are getting the stream from a server. But it also appears with local video file mentioned in your last sentence. And the codecs are H264 and H265, file type is mp4 and mkv.

Currently I don't have monitor that has higher refresh rate than 60Hz and higher resolution than 1080p. I'm asking other engineers to take a look at this. There might be some time delay.

Best regards,

Roy

"Developing Universal Windows apps" forum will be migrating to a new home on Microsoft Q&A (Preview)!
    We invite you to post new questions in the "Developing Universal Windows apps" forum’s new home on Microsoft Q&A (Preview)!

Friday, November 15, 2019 3:34 AM
  • Hi,

Could you please take a look at the CPU and GPU usage when playing video? Is it taking a lot of resource from the GPU and CPU? If it is, the problem could be related to video accelerator. 

Best regards,

Roy

Wednesday, November 20, 2019 2:30 AM
  • Hi.

Playing the video in fullscreen results in a GPU usage of: 3,8% (Task Manager), while the GPU usage in fullscreen results in a usage of 3,8% (task manager). CPU usage keeps mostly between 0,8-2% (Task Manager)

I changed the V-Sync option to "Use Global Settings" in the nvidia control panel as that was the default option and when i experienced the issue, as of now it seems to be working on both machines by using the default settings.

I don't know it it is because of a Windows Update or if it was a driver issue, but as of now i can't reproduce it without turning V-Sync off.

Wednesday, November 20, 2019 11:37 AM
  • Hi,

Thanks for sharing the information. I'll ask the team about this. Appreciate your patience in advance.

Best regards.

Roy

Friday, November 22, 2019 2:07 AM
  • Hi Brageskj,

This behavior is by design. We've worked closely with our video card OEMs to make sure the v-sync between the OS and the underlying hardware is as precise as possible. Disabling the hardware v-sync may cause unexpected and / or undefined behavior. You should always make sure that v-sync is enabled in your video driver for best results. It sounds like you may have had a misconfiguration in your driver that was fixed by an update. By default the OS will always use the v-sync options reported by the video driver. 

I hope this helps,

James

Windows SDK Technologies - Microsoft Developer Services - http://blogs.msdn.com/mediasdkstuff/

Wednesday, November 27, 2019 12:06 AM
    Owner