In your face advertising OK? But discreet cross promotion of other apps not? RRS feed

• Question

• I have a couple of apps in the store; I want to promote my other apps from with a app. For this I have tried to put a link in the "Settings Charm" called "DaksaTech's Other Apps" - but this was not approved.

I have tried putting a button in the appbar called "Other Apps". This was rejected and the testers say:

D:: This app appears to be incomplete in its functionality to our reviewers. F:: The app bar, and/or Windows Settings charm appear to be advertising to our reviewers.

Section 2.3 says:
    A common reason why apps fail this requirement is when the app tiles, app bar and Settings charm (including the About link) are used for promotional materials.

I am not putting my app links in the appbar , I am only putting a link to a page that lists the other apps. How is this in-appropriate.

Does Microsoft wants me to promote my apps using "in-the-face" advertising (like all the Microsoft inbuilt apps). Is that a better way? And if that's what they want, how come the Bing adcontrol does not support house ads?

Whats been your experience? How are you promoting your other apps? Can Microsoft respond to this with suggested way?

NB: Version 1 of my apps allowed the link "Other Apps" in Settings Charm. I guess that was because MS wanted to get as many apps in the store before Win8 launch.

- Really frustrated developer.

Tuesday, January 29, 2013 4:56 AM

Answers

All replies

• I haven't gotten around to doing this yet but it is high on my todo list. I was planning on putting a featured content section that hosted a graphic (250x250) that advertised my other apps and took the user to the app in the store when they clicked it. I will let you know if they let it go through....sorry for the pre-emptive response...too much stuff to do, too little time ;-)
    Tuesday, January 29, 2013 8:58 AM
  • The app bar and settings charms are for interface and settings only.

If you have any other questions about your certification results please contact developer support.

-Eric

Tuesday, February 5, 2013 6:42 PM