none
Submitting Adobe AIR Apps to Windows Store

Question

• Hi everybody,

I am thinking about developing an Adobe Air App.

Will it be possible to submit this App to the Windows App Store. With the Mac App Store unfortunately it is not possible.

Thanks for your help

Toby

Tuesday, March 6, 2012 2:16 PM

Answers

• Hi Tobs_R

At general availability of Windows 8, the Store will also include listings for desktop apps that pass Windows 8 Desktop App Certification.  The sources and methods to acquire a desktop app are determined by the developer and happen outside of the Store experience. The desktop app developer provides a link in the app listing in the Store that takes the customer to the purchase or download location for those desktop apps.

For more information on Desktop apps, please refer to the Certification requirements for Windows 8 desktop apps found here. A developer can submit any app to the Windows Store as long as it meets the certification requirements.

Thanks,

Dawn

Friday, March 9, 2012 4:55 PM
  • Hi Phi-Ho,

As we are currently running the Windows 8 Consumer Preview, the Windows Store is limted to metro apps only. As we go forward, the Store will be open to more developers and at that stage you should see more apps available.

I would recommend keeping an eye on the Building Windows 8 Blog

• Marked as answer by mark_1h Wednesday, May 9, 2012 8:18 PM
    Wednesday, May 9, 2012 6:17 PM

All replies

• Hi Tobs_R

Adobe Air is not listed as one of the listed languages on this Article however we appreciate your feedback on the desire to submit apps using Adobe Air. If there is an update to the applications available you should be able to find that information in that article.

thank you,

-John

Wednesday, March 7, 2012 12:19 AM
  • Hi John,

thanks for your reply. I am not sure, if the coding language limits a submission. It is quite easy, to create an EXE-file, which installs AIR plus custom application in one installation process.

It should be more of a guideline thing.

Any details about that?

Wednesday, March 7, 2012 4:09 PM
  • Hi Tobs_R,

The article that John pointed you to, as well as the documentation below provides you with the details about the coding languages and development tools that you can use for developing Metro style apps.  Unfortunately, Adobe Air is not one of the supported tools at this time.

http://msdn.microsoft.com/en-us/library/windows/apps/br211386.aspx

Thanks,

Dawn

Wednesday, March 7, 2012 11:02 PM
  • Okay, maybe I am getting this wrong.

Will it only be possible to submit Metro Apps to the Windows Store?
    What about MS Office or WinZIP or any kind of regular non metro app?

I could provide an executable file and I just want to be found in the app store if somebody searches the name of my app!

It is not gonna be a metro app.

Thursday, March 8, 2012 4:04 PM
  • Hi Tobs_R

At general availability of Windows 8, the Store will also include listings for desktop apps that pass Windows 8 Desktop App Certification.  The sources and methods to acquire a desktop app are determined by the developer and happen outside of the Store experience. The desktop app developer provides a link in the app listing in the Store that takes the customer to the purchase or download location for those desktop apps.

For more information on Desktop apps, please refer to the Certification requirements for Windows 8 desktop apps found here. A developer can submit any app to the Windows Store as long as it meets the certification requirements.

Thanks,

Dawn

Friday, March 9, 2012 4:55 PM
  • Hi Dawn,

I have windows app written in VC# and runs on Windows 7, XP, and Vista.  Can I submit to Windows 8 Store?...or does the app have to be written for Windows 8?

Thanks,

Robert

Robert B. Lucas

Wednesday, April 25, 2012 3:33 PM
  • Hi Robbie619858,

The following link, should be helpful to you, as it outlines the certification requirements  for Windows APPs.

If you look at section 3.1:

3.1 Your app must use only APIs for Metro style apps

The APIs for Metro style apps are described in the Metro style apps API reference. Your app must also not link to, depend on, or otherwise make use of APIs or Windows OS services outside those described in the Metro style apps API reference.

For Metro style apps in C# and Visual Basic

Thanks

Mark

Wednesday, April 25, 2012 8:13 PM
  • Hi Dawn and Mark,

Do you have any information on future plan for Windows 8 App Store to accept non-metro style windows apps?

Regards,

PhiHo

Wednesday, May 9, 2012 4:12 PM
  • Hi Phi-Ho,

As we are currently running the Windows 8 Consumer Preview, the Windows Store is limted to metro apps only. As we go forward, the Store will be open to more developers and at that stage you should see more apps available.

I would recommend keeping an eye on the Building Windows 8 Blog

• Marked as answer by mark_1h Wednesday, May 9, 2012 8:18 PM
    Wednesday, May 9, 2012 6:17 PM
  • Hi Mark,

Many thanks for the information.

I will certainly keep my eyes on Windows 8 and Windows Server 2012.

Regards,

PhiHo

Wednesday, May 9, 2012 6:36 PM
  • Hello everyone, 

So, I haven't really understand..

I've made a game in Flash (adobe AIR) and I would like to submit it for the Windows Store. Is it possible ? 

I've tried to use Visual Studio 2012, but it seems that I can't import my flash project in it..( not compatible apparently). 

Thx for your answer, 

Monday, July 29, 2013 3:35 PM
  • @stephanberger

My understanding is that Metro style , RT apps can only be submitted via the windows app store if devloped through visual studio.

You can't just pull your Adove Air app into visual studio as they are completely different development tools.

However you can submit Desktop Apps for use on Windows 8, these can have the usual .exe extention - and you can compile an Adobe Air app to a windows native installer with captive runtime.. eg install.exe ...

@everybody

So, I'm also looking at submitting a Adobe Air application... and I'm nearly there:

* I've registered with the windows app store and done all the authentication process.

* The windows app store will only allow desktop apps that have been certified to be selected.

* To do this, I've registered with the Hardware / Desktop App dev center - ( got Microsoft Authenticode certificate, Downloaded the Windows SDK and signed the winqual.exe with the signtool and returned it ).

* Created a native installer for my air app , you also need to sign this with your certificate using the sign tool.

* Downloaded the windows app certification kit, run the app certification program and supplied it my installer.exe.

* This generated a report outlining issues and supplied me with a .xml version which I need to upload to desktop app delovopment center .

* From here I'm hoping I should be able to upload my app, go back to the windows app store and get it listed...

Its quite a long process ( combined with the registration and getting all the certificates etc.... ) but just follow the instructions onscreen I've got pretty much there.

BUT.. I do have a problem which if anyone can help I would be grateful.. My app certification report is throwing up a warning saying the program.exe that gets installed as part of the installation is not signed. Because the Adobe Air compiler creates the installer.exe I don't get a chance to sign the program.exe file within it.  Is there any way ( via  a tool perhaps ) , that I can sign the program.exe wihtin the installer? I see you can change the installer.exe to a zip to access the installer contents, but I can't replace the program.exe with a signed version without breaking the installer package.

I'm going to try and address this from the Adobe packaging end as well.. Over to there forum .. ;)

Tuesday, August 6, 2013 10:54 AM
  • @Murack

Did you have any luck submiting your air app?

Thursday, September 19, 2013 4:04 PM