The following forum(s) have migrated to Microsoft Q&A (Preview): Developing Universal Windows apps!
Visit Microsoft Q&A (Preview) to post new questions.

Learn More

[W8.1] ListView CanReorderItems functionality broken in Windows 10 build 1511 RRS feed

• Question

• It looks like the CanReorderItems functionality is broken in Windows 10 build 1511 for 8.1 apps at least. Here's a simple repro:

-Create a new blank Windows 8.1 app in VS 2015

-In the main page CS file enter the following code:

class ViewModel
        {
    private ObservableCollection<string> _items;

public ObservableCollection<string> Items
            {
    get { return _items; }
            }

public ViewModel()
            {
    _items = 
    new ObservableCollection<string>();
                _items.Add(
    "a");
                _items.Add(
    "b");
                _items.Add(
    "c");
                _items.Add(
    "d");
                _items.Add(
    "e");
            }
        }

public sealed partial class MainPage : Page
        {
    public MainPage()
            {
    this.InitializeComponent();
    this.DataContext = new ViewModel();
            }
        }

-In MainPage.xaml do the following:

<ListView ItemsSource="{Binding Items}" CanReorderItems="True" AllowDrop="True" />

-Run the app.

Trying to reorder the items doesn't work. The very same app works as expected on Windows 8.1, so it looks like this is a bug.

Is there any workaround?

Monday, November 16, 2015 7:21 PM

Answers

• Hello everyone,

The "permanent" fix for this issue has been released in the January cumulative update: https://support.microsoft.com/en-us/kb/3124262. Please ensure that your system has the latest Windows updates installed and that should resolve the issue without using any workarounds.

Regards,

Prashant

Windows Store Developer Solutions, follow us on Twitter: @WSDevSol|| Want more solutions? See our blog

• Marked as answer by Ianier Monday, February 1, 2016 7:17 PM
    Monday, February 1, 2016 7:03 PM

All replies

• I hit the same issue as you.

To solve it, you now need to set ReorderMode="Enabled" in the listview

Monday, November 16, 2015 7:34 PM
  • Thanks a lot for the quick answer. Unfortunately on Win 8.1 apps the ReorderMode property doesn't seem to be available.

Any idea on how to work around this issue?

Monday, November 16, 2015 8:04 PM
  • sorry I didn't realise you were talking about 8.1 apps.

Anyways, I have a 8.1 phone app and I just checked:

- 8.1 store apps needs ReorderMode set

- win10 apps needs both ReorderMode and CanReorderItems

it might be different on non phone 8.1 app (although I doubt it) or non store apps (silverlight).

Monday, November 16, 2015 8:15 PM
  • I forgot to add that as opposed to 8.1 apps, windows 10 reordering doesn't "animate"

so it looks like you it didn't work but you can reorder items around.

Perhaps you see the same behavior ?

can you try in the phone emulator (in a test app that has only a listview) ?

Monday, November 16, 2015 8:18 PM
  • My example above starts from an empty Windows Store 8.1 app. The behavior I get is that the items do animate, but the actual reorder doesn't work (i.e. the items I dragged comes back to its original position).

It looks like the ReorderMode property isn't there for the ListView on 8.1. Maybe someone from Microsoft can shed some light on this issue.

Monday, November 16, 2015 9:16 PM
  • Another try: in the MainPage constructor I added the following code:

var prop = listViewTest.GetType().GetRuntimeProperty("ReorderMode");
    if (prop != null)
      prop.SetValue(listViewTest, 1);

On Windows 10 the property is found and the value is set successfully; however, reordering still has no effect!

Tuesday, November 17, 2015 6:29 PM
  • I just tested. the following works on 8.1 apps :
    <ListView CanReorderItems="True" AllowDrop="True" CanDragItems="True">
                <ListViewItem>A</ListViewItem>
                <ListViewItem>B</ListViewItem>
                <ListViewItem>C</ListViewItem>
            </ListView>

Tuesday, November 17, 2015 7:20 PM
  • so to sum up

8.1 apps:

CanReorderItems="True" AllowDrop="True" CanDragItems="True"

UWP apps:

CanReorderItems="True" AllowDrop="True" CanDragItems="True" ReorderMode="Enabled"

Tuesday, November 17, 2015 7:22 PM
  • Thanks for the information. Unfortunately on my setup that doesn't work. To summarize my issue:

-I created a Windows Store 8.1 project running on Visual Studio 2015 on a PC running Windows 10 build 1511.

-The project containing the above code can't reorder the items - you can still drag the items, but dropping them has no effect (that is, the item comes back to its original place in the list).

-The same project copied to a PC running Windows 8.1 runs perfectly.

-The same project used to run fine on the previous Windows 10 build (i.e. before the November update).

@cuneyiit: Do you have exactly the same setup as me?

Tuesday, November 17, 2015 7:53 PM
  • - visual studio2015 pro

- Windows 10 Enterprise Build 10240

I do not have the november update yet.

and the code you posted initially works on my machine.

hmm, I'll try to windows update and come back if I can reproduce it.

this will make sure your install is not trashed.

Tuesday, November 17, 2015 9:20 PM
  • I am facing the exact same bug. My solution targets Windows 8.1. CanReorderItems has always worked in Windows 8.1 and Windows 10. After installing the november update, reorder does not work anymore. Not for me and not for my customers. I have one Windows 10 machine here where the november update is not yet installed, and there reorder still works!

This is a critical bug, customers are already complaining!

• Edited by Lukas F Tuesday, November 17, 2015 9:34 PM
    Tuesday, November 17, 2015 9:34 PM
  • @Microsoft staff: please address this issue urgently or provide us with a workaround so we can at least patch our apps. Our (previously working) apps are being broken by the November Release!

Wednesday, November 18, 2015 7:06 AM
  • I have even created a UWP app with all properties set, and could not reorder items. It seems reordering is completely broken in the november update!

@Microsoft: Can you please comment on this?

Wednesday, November 18, 2015 10:40 AM
  • since you are now 2 reproducing this problem, I think the best course of actions is to file a formal defect

-> in the connect site https://connect.microsoft.com/VisualStudio

Wednesday, November 18, 2015 4:37 PM
  • Maybe they're skipping this thread because of the 8.1 prefix. You could try opening a second thread reporting the issue specifically for UWP, which may trigger their attention.
    Wednesday, November 18, 2015 6:40 PM
  • On all Windows 10 devices, after installing the november update, the reorder function of the ListView is broken. Items cannot be reordered anymore. This happens on UWP apps, as well as apps targeting Win81. For more info and repro, see this thread, which is for Win8.1 apps:

https://social.msdn.microsoft.com/Forums/en-US/49a84f9f-69d7-4304-9cb7-ac44fd570252/winrt-81-listview-canreorderitems-functionality-broken-in-windows-10-build-1511?forum=wpdevelop

Customers are complaining already, many apps affected! Urgent help needed!!

Wednesday, November 18, 2015 9:52 PM
  • This doesn't happen with UWP, I have this functionality on both my apps and they work properly. Unfortunately, due to some trial related bugs in the Store I have disabled the trials so you can't ensure yourself by using the trial, but trust me on this.

Check my apps: Share to Speech and File Cards

Thursday, November 19, 2015 12:02 AM
  • I tried creating a new UWP app using my original code (see the other thread mentioned by Lukas) and it does indeed work. So I would say the problem is related to Win 8.1 compatibility.

Still, this must be fixed or a workaround should be provided. Our apps have been broken by the November Update!

Thursday, November 19, 2015 7:30 AM
  • Hello Lukas F and lanier,

For the forum scope it is not the right channel for urgent issue. I think a better channel is to create a support ticket here.

The above is the channel listed in Windows developer support page.

Best regards,

Barry

We are trying to better understand customer views on social support experience, so your participation in this interview project would be greatly appreciated if you have time. Thanks for helping make community forums a great place.
    Click HERE to participate the survey.

Friday, November 20, 2015 2:47 AM
  • @Barry:

I had already browsed through the Windows Support site and some of the relevant product support links for Windows 10 are broken. It looks to me like the link you provided is the one for the Store support (which is indeed great for Windows Store questions), but I'll try anyway.

Under normal circumstances I would have advised my users not to apply the November update, but unfortunately updates are no longer optional for consumers. I understand that Microsoft might not be able to fix this issue in the OS in a timely manner; however, I do expect to get a workaround I can apply to my code.

Friday, November 20, 2015 5:38 AM
  • @Barry: I have already submitted a ticket there. Guess what the answer was?

"As it turns out this is a technical issue that will need to be directed to our technical team for additional support through our Technical Forums. Unfortunately our group is not equipped to provide the in-depth technical support required to resolve this for you. The forums are moderated by technical experts who are better able to provide additional information on the issue you are having. I have provided the link below."

Can you please have someone look into this?

This is obviously a major new bug, introduced with the november update. Apps in the store that were working for years are now suddenly broken without any solution or workaround available. Our paying customers are complaining, with good reason. This bug needs to be redirected to the UI framework team now, before wasting even more time.

Friday, November 20, 2015 6:51 AM
  • Just a small side note - it is easy to blame the other side. You, your users or devs of similar apps could test if everything is working properly on Insider builds and resolve the problem on time. As the problem was likely not detected on Insider builds that were used by millions of people, Microsoft can safely assume that such problem is not urgent for most of the users. I really can't see how there could be a workaround using some code - clearly the only workaround that you can do right now is to have some sort of context menu with up and down buttons, or some other alternative controls that work properly.

Friday, November 20, 2015 11:00 AM
  • @Ivan:

I understand your point of view; however, as a developer that's not exactly how I envisage my relation with Microsoft. Yes, we had the opportunity to test our apps with the insider build (this time I didn't), but I still expect to get support whenever some issues get through.

Lukas' frustration is understandable: he worked hard to get his application polished and now users are complaining that it no longer works properly. Users turn to him for help, but he has no one to turn to. He wouldn't want to spend one year worth of app revenue on paid support either.

Regarding my comment specifically, by actually looking at the implementation a developer might figure out an acceptable workaround (e.g. set a certain combination of properties in a certain order). I have gone through similar situations in the past and I would be more than willing to update my app to apply it.

Friday, November 20, 2015 12:29 PM
  • @ivan:

You can't be serious. So now we are suddenly "responsible" for beta testing Microsoft's software and frameworks?! And it's our fault, because we did not beta test the Insider builds enough? Or even our customer's fault? Yeah sure, that's pretty weird.

It is a software devloper's reponsibility to test the software he delivers. Microsoft delivers Windows and the app framework, and I expect it to be tested properly when it is publicly released. It's really strange to see such base functionality not working at all, I would have expected such major flaws to be detected with automatic tests.

I do test my software on insider builds from time to time. I even reported a bunch of bugs on them. But I don't have time to test each and every bit of functionality on every new insider build. I do not get paid to test Microsoft's software. I am a customer of their software, after all, I pay for their software, not the other way round. Also, I don't think that there are still so many people who actively use insider builds anymore. Sure there were before the Windows 10 release, because everyone wanted to have the new OS already. But now that it's out, I assume that most of them have switched back to using RTM builds only (which still feel enough "beta" for me). I got a bunch of problem reports specific to the November update, all after the update was released. So none of those users was on insider build (and you surely can't blame them for it).

Friday, November 20, 2015 12:40 PM
  • If I was a developer of Windows 8 app, yes I would be hard testing it on Windows 10, as it is easy to understand that Microsoft will put the least resources in making this work. When I say 'easy' I mean that Microsoft will surely put most resources in testing UWP apps and desktop apps, because most users will be affected by that.

BTW, one change in UWP would make my app not working properly if I hadn't tested it.

Friday, November 20, 2015 3:16 PM
  • Understood. I do hard test my app on Windows 10 and this is exactly how I found the issue right after the November release was pushed to the masses. I didn't test the insider build, though, but as Lukas mentioned I don't think it's fair to be blamed for that, and much less my users.

Anyway, we're going off-topic here. The fact is that we have an issue and for which a solution is needed and we're struggling to find the right support channel. If anyone could help it will be appreciated.

Friday, November 20, 2015 3:29 PM
  • I agree with you. But I can't agree with the other developer.

Anyway, I had one idea, and that is to make a custom dragging code for the ListView. Yes it is just an idea that takes significant work to be implemented, but I think it is likely that could workaround the problem without users noting anything.

Friday, November 20, 2015 5:08 PM
  • I have also opened a connect entry for this, please vote for it:

https://connect.microsoft.com/VisualStudio/feedback/details/2033649/listview-canreorderitems-functionality-broken-in-windows-10-build-1511

Offtopic: With the vast majority of apps in the Store still targeting Windows 8.x, Microsoft should be very interested in making sure that all these apps run perfectly on Windows 10. They are still the major source of store transactions by far, even on Windows 10.

• Edited by Lukas F Friday, November 20, 2015 5:16 PM
    • Proposed as answer by Barry Wang Tuesday, December 1, 2015 12:49 PM
    • Marked as answer by Lukas F Tuesday, December 1, 2015 1:10 PM
    Friday, November 20, 2015 5:15 PM
  • I have created a small repro project.

http://1drv.ms/1MHauu7

Run the project on Windows 10 RTM and you can reorder the items in the list. Run the project on Windows 10 with the novermber update 1511 installed, and you can't reorder the items.

It would be great if someone from MSFT could look into this.

Friday, November 20, 2015 8:53 PM
  • ok I have tested on a machine with Win 10 pro build 10586 and I can confirm reordering doesn't work for 8.1 apps.

Friday, November 20, 2015 10:04 PM
  • Update.

I've reported this to windows team and I am still waiting for a confirmation on possibility of workaround. Will update here if I get further info.

Only 8.1 app doesn't work, and UWP app works as expected.

<THE CONTENT IS PROVIDED "AS IS" WITHOUT WARRANTY OF ANY KIND, WHETHER EXPRESS OR IMPLIED>
    Thanks
    Alan Yao
    MSDN Community Support

Please remember to "Mark as Answer" the responses that resolved your issue. It is a common way to recognize those who have helped you, and makes it easier for other visitors to find the resolution later.

Tuesday, November 24, 2015 3:32 PM
  • Hi, as the title specifies listview reordering is broken on Windows 10 for apps created for Windows 8.1. The code below can reproduce the issue:

<ListView x:Name="Test" CanReorderItems="True" CanDragItems="True" AllowDrop="True"></ListView>

Test.ItemsSource = new System.Collections.ObjectModel.ObservableCollection<string> { "a", "b", "c", "d" };

Thursday, November 26, 2015 5:17 PM
  • Hi TaskBasic,

Welcome to the Developing Universal Windows apps forum!

As a friendly reminder please make sure to add the appropriate tags to the title of your post as per Guide to posting: subject line tags

What is your Windows 10 OS version? I have created a Windows 8.1 app with your code in my Windows 10124, it works fine, so I can not reproduce your issue in my side.

Best Regards,
    Amy Peng

We are trying to better understand customer views on social support experience, so your participation in this interview project would be greatly appreciated if you have time. Thanks for helping make community forums a great place.

Friday, November 27, 2015 5:38 AM
  • Hi Amy,

This is being tested on Windows 10 Pro version 1511 build 10586.14

Notice that you will be able to move items around, but the order will not actually change.  This issue actually broke our existing app VersaNote.  If possible, please install the app and notice that notes cannot be reordered on Windows 10.

Friday, November 27, 2015 9:02 PM
  • Thanks Alan.

Any updates so far?

Saturday, November 28, 2015 6:12 AM
  • Hi TaskBasic,

Yes, I can reproduce this issue and we have reported this to windows team.
    Once there is any update, I will post it here.

Thanks for your understanding.

Best Regards,
    Amy Peng

Tuesday, December 1, 2015 4:07 AM
  • I want to thank you again for reporting this issue and sorry about the inconvenience the issue brought to you all.

I just got a confirmation that the issue has already been resolved internally and the issue can be resolved once the update go to public. But I cannot say when it will happen.

Unfortunately, there is no so simple workaround and we have to work around it by handling drag and drop event by ourselves. Not sure if it is acceptable for you.

Anyway, please feel free to let me know your concerns and the biz impact to you, and I will let your voice be heard by relevant team.

<THE CONTENT IS PROVIDED "AS IS" WITHOUT WARRANTY OF ANY KIND, WHETHER EXPRESS OR IMPLIED>
    Thanks
    Alan Yao
    MSDN Community Support

Please remember to "Mark as Answer" the responses that resolved your issue. It is a common way to recognize those who have helped you, and makes it easier for other visitors to find the resolution later.

Wednesday, December 2, 2015 5:13 PM
  • Thanks Alan for the update and good news.

My app is a media player (Chronotron Speed Changer). It relies on this functionality to reorder the playlist, which I'm aware may not be enough in terms of accessibility.

I would say in my case severity isn't particularly high, but still, quality issues like this one hurt sales and increase the time we developers spend on support.

Wednesday, December 2, 2015 6:21 PM
  • Thanks Alan, great to hear that a solution is already being worked on. Please update us as soon as the fix is available via Windows Update.

My app is also a media player. I use the reorder function at various places. Most important is the playlist item reordering. I have implemented a custom reorder solution there. It is not as performant as the native one, still, better than nothing. Due to the required work, I cannot add this solution to all places where reordering is needed. So getting a fix in the OS is still important for me.

Thursday, December 3, 2015 3:07 PM
  • Hi Lukas,

Unfortunately the Connect site is only for Visual Studio related bugs/ problems. Since you are running into an app-compat problem of running your 8.1 app on Windows 10, please consider opening a support case if you want a fix for this issue. The link provided by Barry points to Store support, so that's unfortunately not the right channel either. For technical developer support, please use these steps to open a case and mention this forum thread for easier reference:

1.) Go to http://aka.ms/storesupport (sign in using your MSDN Subscription if applicable)

2.) Click the "Windows 8.x app development" under "App development". On the next page, choose Problem type = Support for Writing apps, Category = Microsoft APIs.

3.) Then choose the "Start request" link to start a support request.

Also, for any future issues you may encounter:

What will ensure that the bug is filed is to file it yourself with the Windows Feedback app and/or vote up existing reports there. 

If you want a more hands-on approach beyond the scope of the forum you can open a support incident as per above at http://aka.ms/storesupport and choose Windows 8.x or Windows 10 app development. We can work with you to try to find a workaround if you cannot wait for the bug to be fixed. Support incident charges will be refunded if they are caused by a Microsoft bug.

Thanks,

Prashant

Windows Store Developer Solutions, follow us on Twitter: @WSDevSol|| Want more solutions? See our blog

Friday, December 4, 2015 10:42 PM
  • Hi Alan.

Just one question to this issue: Is the problem only occuring on ListView controls or also an GridView´s? So is changing from ListView to a vertical GridView a workaround?

Need to ask in the forum because I cannot reproduce the issue on my own devices. So I cannot check if the GridView is working...

best regards, Gernot

Saturday, December 5, 2015 2:51 PM
  • Unfortunately GridView doesn't work either.
    Saturday, December 5, 2015 4:33 PM
  • Where can we find the information when the bugfix will be deployed? I need to tell something to my customers.

"There is a confirmed and internal fixed bug in Windows. But nobody can tell me when it will be fixed." is not the answer that my customers (and I) are expecting. Any more details? Next week, this month, next year?

Monday, December 7, 2015 10:07 AM
  • When bugs are identified, they are fixed in the "next" version of the operating system. If you want the fix to be ported to the "current" version of the operating system, you will need to open a support case as per above to that the bug can get "serviced".

Tuesday, December 8, 2015 6:25 PM
  • Thanks Prashant for the answer.

I understand that this issue might not be considered as high priority by the OS team. However, the situation still is that a mandatory OS update broke apps that were previously working. Our users were given no choice.

The downside of "Software as a Service" is when service quality is poor, like in this case. The same goes for us: app updates can sometimes introduce major bugs, but we developers do play the SaaS game and do our very best to push apps updates as soon as bugs are reported.

Personally I'm not happy about the fact that the impact of an OS bug has been pushed to us developers. This is probably something you have no control of, but I nevertheless would like to use this forum to voice my discontent.

Wednesday, December 9, 2015 8:42 AM
  • Hi Prashant. I didn´t want to be impolite. Hope you didnt understand my post in that way.
    As far as I have interpreted the previous posts there is already a support case for this bug and it is confirmed by you dev-team as a bug. So I just wanted to know when it is planned to be deployed. In fact this is a big problem for us, because also a lot of potential customers are not buying the app or even writing bad reviews about this issue.

Wednesday, December 9, 2015 5:09 PM
  • @GernotKnesIT, unfortunately it seems that the case was opened with the wrong people (the non tech support) and that case has probably been closed. If anyone has an active support case on this issue, please send me an email at: wsdevsol at outlook dot com

@Ianier, I am sorry that app compat was broken due to this problem.

I have raised awareness of this issue and am working with a few folks. I will keep the thread updated. If anyone else is seeing the problem, please +1 here.

Thanks,

Prashant

Wednesday, December 9, 2015 11:01 PM
  • We have the same problems after a update to win 10 1511.
    The offical sample : 
    https://code.msdn.microsoft.com/windowsapps/XAML-ListView-and-GridView-6bd77f71/view/Discussions#content
    have the same issue now.
    Wednesday, December 16, 2015 9:53 AM
  • Hi Prashant,

I have the exact same issue, but this time on Windows Phone. Phone 8.1 Reorder not working on Mobile 10.

Can you confirm that the problem will be adressed in the next Phone Update too ?

Thanks !

• Edited by MakanWG Wednesday, December 16, 2015 3:09 PM
    Wednesday, December 16, 2015 3:09 PM
  • @MakanWG, all I can confirm right now is that the best way to fix the problem is still being triaged so unfortunately  I cannot comment on the timelines of when the fix will be released. If the issue is urgent, please consider opening a support case using the steps I have mentioned above.

Wednesday, December 16, 2015 6:23 PM
  • Dear all,

we are facing issues with Drag & Drop reordering of an ObservableCollection in a ListView.

XAML:

<Grid Background="{ThemeResource ApplicationPageBackgroundThemeBrush}">
        <ListView x:Name="CustomFieldsListView"
                  AllowDrop="true"
                  CanReorderItems="true"
                  CanDragItems="true"/>
    </Grid>

C#:

public sealed partial class MainPage : Page
        {
            ObservableCollection<string> _myListData;

public MainPage()
            {
                this.InitializeComponent();
                _myListData = GetData();

CustomFieldsListView.ItemsSource = GetData();
            }

private ObservableCollection<string> GetData()
            {
                ObservableCollection<string> data = new ObservableCollection<string> { 
                    "Hello",
                    "World",
                    "Frank",
                    "Marco"
                };

data.CollectionChanged += data_CollectionChanged;

return data;
            }

void data_CollectionChanged(object sender, System.Collections.Specialized.NotifyCollectionChangedEventArgs e)
            {
                // Will be invoked on Windows 8.1 - Build with Visual Studio 2013 - SDK 8.1
                // Will be invoked on Windows 10  - Build with Visual Studio 2015 - SDK 10

// Will not be invoked on Windows 10 - Build with Visual Studio 2013 - SDK 8.1
                // Will not be invoked on Windows 10 - Build with Visual Studio 2015 - SDK 8.1
            }
        }

Since we have an Windows 8.1 app on the Store, we currently have no option to switch to the SDK 10.

What are we doing wrong? Is there any special flag on the ListView we have to set for Windows 10 (build with the 8.1 SDK)?

Thursday, December 31, 2015 12:29 AM
  • As a possible not quite perfect workaround i have done it the following way.

xaml:

<GridView x:Name="ReOrderGrid" ItemsSource="{Binding Items}" ItemTemplate="{StaticResource ItemTemplate}" CanDragItems="True" AllowDrop="True" CanReorderItems="True"

Drop="GridView_OnDrop" DragItemsStarting="GridView_OnDragItemsStarting">

code behind:

private void GridView_OnDragItemsStarting(object sender, DragItemsStartingEventArgs e)
            {
                e.Data.Properties.Add("dataItem", e.Items[0] );
            }

private void GridView_OnDrop(object sender, DragEventArgs e)
            {
                var draggedItem = e.Data.Properties["dataItem"];
                var gridview = sender as GridView;
                if (gridview == null || draggedItem == null)
                {
                    return;
                }
                var droppedPosition = e.GetPosition(gridview);
                var itemsSource = gridview.ItemsSource as ObservableCollection<object>;
                for (int i = 0; i < itemsSource.Count; i++)
                {
                    var griditem = ReOrderGrid.ContainerFromIndex(i) as GridViewItem; 
                    var gt = griditem.TransformToVisual(ReOrderGrid);
                    var bounds = new Rect(gt.TransformPoint(new Point(0, 0)),new Size(griditem.ActualWidth,griditem.ActualHeight)) ;
                    if (bounds.Contains(droppedPosition))
                    {
                        itemsSource.Move(itemsSource.IndexOf(draggedItem), i);
                        break;
                    }
                }
            }

Only dropping on items is handled, for me it's ok.
    But handling this should not really a problem.
    Using this with a ListView should be easy, just change the gridview and gridviewitem  to listview and listviewitem.

Assuming your ItemsSource is a ObservableCollection.
    Setting 'CanReorderItems' will give you the 'wobble' effect while moving.
    But a drop triggers a complete list refresh :(

• Edited by Burnout Crew Wednesday, January 13, 2016 2:32 AM
    • Proposed as answer by InADayDev Friday, January 22, 2016 11:55 PM
    Wednesday, January 13, 2016 12:39 AM
  • Thanks for this work around , I have moved my Windows 10 app and was facing same issue... the work around posted worked fine.

Cheers

Saturday, January 16, 2016 5:31 PM
  • Thanks, this workaround does the trick. It isn't as smooth as before, but better than no reordering at all. @MS: please fix this issue asap anyway.
    Sunday, January 31, 2016 2:22 PM
  • Hello everyone,

The "permanent" fix for this issue has been released in the January cumulative update: https://support.microsoft.com/en-us/kb/3124262. Please ensure that your system has the latest Windows updates installed and that should resolve the issue without using any workarounds.

Regards,

Prashant

• Marked as answer by Ianier Monday, February 1, 2016 7:17 PM
    Monday, February 1, 2016 7:03 PM
  • Fix confirmed. Thanks a lot for your support!
    Monday, February 1, 2016 7:17 PM