The following forum(s) have migrated to Microsoft Q&A (Preview): Developing Universal Windows apps!
Visit Microsoft Q&A (Preview) to post new questions.

Learn More

VS...is crashing like crazy. I need help on adding some code to the Project XML file to aply a work around. RRS feed

• Question

• I was pointed by MS  to a workaround to fix Visual Studio major and frequent crashing using C#. Its a known issue.  They want me to add code to the project file and pointed me to the following

<?xml version="1.0" encoding="utf-8"?>
    <RuleSet Name="MyRules" Description="My Rules" ToolsVersion="16.0">
    <Rules AnalyzerId="Microsoft.CodeAnalysis.Features" RuleNamespace="Microsoft.CodeAnalysis.Features">
    <Rule Id="IDE0067" Action="None" />
    <Rule Id="IDE0068" Action="None" />
    <Rule Id="IDE0069" Action="None" />
    </Rules>
    </RuleSet>

The file seems to me to be my  myApp.csproj.user  . I say that because it has that first line the same as their code snippet above. Ive tried a few different things, but I have not as yet gotten it properly added..  The actual  .csproj  looks totally different.  This is what is in the user file. What should it look like when properly added? 

<?xml version="1.0" encoding="utf-8"?>
    <Project ToolsVersion="Current" xmlns="https://schemas.microsoft.com/developer/msbuild/2003">;
    <PropertyGroup Condition="'$(Configuration)|$(Platform)' == 'Debug|ARM'">
    <DeviceId>30f105c9-681e-420b-a277-7c086ead8a4e</DeviceId>
    <UseEmulator>true</UseEmulator>
    </PropertyGroup>
    </Project>

Friday, November 15, 2019 9:55 PM

Answers

All replies

• Marked as answer by ScCrow2 Tuesday, November 19, 2019 12:34 PM
    Saturday, November 16, 2019 3:06 AM
  • Sorry.  Its C#.  This code is a work around (MS  sent me the link,  code was one of their pages).  I am only having this problem in C# code.

https://developercommunity.visualstudio.com/content/problem/672009/live-analysis-eats-up-memory-resulting-in-vs-crash.html.

My problem (I think) is just getting it correctly added to the file.  There is some XML that I am not doing correctly.  The Source was the bolded code above Iwas supposed to add it to my existing file. I assumed it was not a replace.  

Regardless... I added all but the Top line to my file... in a few different ways.  It wont load.

So, It sure seems to be MY lack of knowing how to correctly insert it. Or, maybe its really not the correct file.

Saturday, November 16, 2019 3:49 PM
  • Hi,

The topic looks out of scope UWP forum, please ask about this in developer community likes the link that you post.

Besides, we invite you to post new UWP questions in the "Developing Universal Windows apps" forum’s new home on Microsoft Q&A (Preview)!

Best regards,

Nico

"Developing Universal Windows apps" forum will be migrating to a new home on Microsoft Q&A (Preview)!
    We invite you to post new questions in the "Developing Universal Windows apps" forum’s new home on Microsoft Q&A (Preview)!
    For more information, please refer to the sticky post.

Monday, November 18, 2019 6:05 AM
  • Sure sounds like a UWP  issue to me!  Visual Studio crashing so much you cant trace down a bug.  Only happen in a C# Project. 

Regardless, I think I finally managed to get the Rules set for the work around.

Monday, November 18, 2019 6:38 PM
  • Oh, for anyone else who may read this.  I changed the Project Rules from within Visual Studio.  I thought they were expecting me to add it in the XML flies.  SO in the project I unchecked the three things.  I think its working, but Im not swearing to that yet

Monday, November 18, 2019 6:40 PM
  • Hi ScCrow2,

I'm glad to hear you have solved the issue.could you please mark your reply as answer to help people who visit this thread later, Thanks for understanding.  

Thanks,

Nico

"Developing Universal Windows apps" forum will be migrating to a new home on Microsoft Q&A (Preview)!
    We invite you to post new questions in the "Developing Universal Windows apps" forum’s new home on Microsoft Q&A (Preview)!
    For more information, please refer to the sticky post.

Tuesday, November 19, 2019 6:57 AM