none
windows phone 8.1 hide navigationbar RRS feed

Answers

All replies

• thanks for you feedback.  This is a Windows Phone 8.1 specific question so the links you provide would not be relevant.  WP8.1 devices may or may not have hardware keys.  When they don't, a software "NavigationBar"  is used on screen as a replacement.  This has the standard back, home and search buttons. 

The problem is that I have found that this can have an effect on what shows up in your app (it seems to push your app content up).  Apps (particularly games/video players) are supposed to have the ability to hide (minimize) it.  I am searching for the API that shows how to do this.

Friday, April 18, 2014 6:13 AM
  • Is Navigation Bar part of the current Windows Phone 8.1 public release? The six released 8.1 emulators and all current Windows Phone devices have dedicated navigation buttons, so the Navigation Bar would not be applicable. Images of the Navigation Bar have been leaked, but AFAIK, Microsoft has not publicly announced or acknowledged its existence. In other words, I think it is part of an unannounced product and this may be the wrong forum to discuss it.
    • Edited by mSpot Inc Friday, April 18, 2014 7:44 AM
    Friday, April 18, 2014 7:41 AM
  • it is part of any of the 8.1 emulators. You have to enable it through the emulator settings(hardware-> software keys). When u do you might notice that your app shifts upwards when anchored vertically to top or bottom.
    Friday, April 18, 2014 7:51 AM
  • Try this property: ApplicationView.SuppressSystemOverlays.

It starts with a tile...

Friday, April 18, 2014 7:54 AM
  • it is part of any of the 8.1 emulators. You have to enable it through the emulator settings(hardware-> software keys).
    Thank you, then I stand corrected. However, under settings I can't find any item named "hardware". There is a setting named "navigation bar", which allows selection of always on, match background, and match accent color. However, I can't find any setting to actually turn the navigation bar on or off.
    Friday, April 18, 2014 8:54 AM
  • it is part of any of the 8.1 emulators. You have to enable it through the emulator settings(hardware-> software keys).

Thank you, then I stand corrected. However, under settings I can't find any item named "hardware". There is a setting named "navigation bar", which allows selection of always on, match background, and match accent color. However, I can't find any setting to actually turn the navigation bar on or off.

In 720p and 1080p emulators: >> Additional Tools >> Sensors >> Software buttons.

It starts with a tile...

Friday, April 18, 2014 9:03 AM
  • Hi,

I was being somewhat terse.  The setting to enable it in the emulator is part of the emulator itself.  If you open up the [Additional Tools] window (click the double arrows of the floating menu associated with your windows phone 8.1 emulator) you should find a tab called [Sensors].  This lists "optional sensors" that you can enable for your emulator.  The last entry [Software Buttons] will enable a view of the emulator that does not have hardware keys. 

Friday, April 18, 2014 9:20 AM
  • Hi,

you are correct, thank you!  Unfortunately this object is not available on the Silverlight 8.1 side so I will have to live with the problems.

Friday, April 18, 2014 9:22 AM
  • Hi,

you are correct, thank you!  Unfortunately this object is not available on the Silverlight 8.1 side so I will have to live with the problems.

For Silverlight 8.1 try PhoneApplicationFrame.FullScreen Property.

It starts with a tile...

Friday, April 18, 2014 9:38 AM
  • In 720p and 1080p emulators: >> Additional Tools >> Sensors >> Software buttons.

Thanks, I didn't find it earlier because I was running the WXGA emulator.

Friday, April 18, 2014 4:00 PM
  • tried this for SL8.1, set this to false when instantiating PhoneApplicationFrame.. did nothing

Hermit Dave

Sunday, November 9, 2014 10:47 PM
  • while its not possible to programmatically show / hide the Navigationbar, it is possible to detect it being visible or not

more on it here http://invokeit.wordpress.com/2014/11/12/windowsphone-8-1-navigationbar-and-silverlight-apps-wpdev/

double gridWidth = e.NewSize.Width > e.NewSize.Height ? e.NewSize.Width : e.NewSize.Height;
    double gridHeight = e.NewSize.Width > e.NewSize.Height ? e.NewSize.Height : e.NewSize.Width; 
    double w = Application.Current.Host.Content.ActualWidth;
    double h = Application.Current.Host.Content.ActualHeight;

double hostWidth = w > h ? w : h;
    double hostHeight = w > h ? h : w; 

bool hasSoftButtons = hostWidth > gridWidth;

Hermit Dave

Thursday, November 13, 2014 6:15 AM