The following forum(s) are migrating to a new home on Microsoft Q&A (Preview): Developing Universal Windows apps!

Ask new questions on Microsoft Q&A (Preview).
Interact with existing posts until December 13, 2019, after which content will be closed to all new and existing posts.

Learn More

none
[UWP][Desktop Bridge]HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE to HKEY_CURENT_USER RRS feed

• Question

• Hi,
    I have an issue in converting desktop apps to UWP.

The conversion process of my app is almost done, I have used Advanced Installer to create .appx package.

For the apps that converted to UWP, Windows prohibits the apps to modify the HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE registry values (it allows them to read it).

But my apps has a lot of ActiveX files (.ocx files), some of them is registered under HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE, so for the activex file to work, the installer must register them in HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE, but of course it get access denied. So my program does not work, because the activex files are not registered. I want to know if there is any solution to my problem? One solution is to register them in HKEY_CURRENT_USER, but how to do this properly?? The avtivex files are from third parties so I can not modify them. 
    I have used VB6 to create my program, is there any way to user activex files in register-free mode? I mean directly using the .ocx file.

• Edited by Barry Wang Monday, May 8, 2017 2:10 AM Title tag
    Friday, May 5, 2017 10:16 AM

All replies

• I've converted my app my desktop app to UWP using desktop app converter, and I want to publish to to Windows Store. But the process was declined many times because my app doesn't work on the other computer, this is due to that the appx file does not register .dll and .ocx files which are essential for my program to work. I've determined the problem and it was due to that the COM files was registered in HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE, and UWP apps are prevented from modifying those entries. So I used Side-by-side manifest file to allow my app use the COM files with reg-free. It works fine but I want to know if it works on your computer to submit it for approval, this is a download link for appx file [YOU NEED TO SING IT A TEST CERTIFICATE USING SIGNTOOL.EXE TO INSTALL IT].

https://drive.google.com/open?id=0B58SdocPARqyUHQxa3pKdnV5bG8

THANKS....

• Edited by Barry Wang Monday, May 8, 2017 6:00 AM title tag
    • Merged by Barry Wang Monday, May 8, 2017 6:05 AM same issue
    Saturday, May 6, 2017 3:45 PM
  • If you are using dll or ocx controls that need to be registered I doubt it will ever pass certification.  An app that is just .net no need to register any dlls would work fine.
    Saturday, May 6, 2017 4:11 PM
  • Hello Brwa,

Normally it is not allowed for us to install app from other's online drive. Here I'm just trying to help you test it. And the result is no, we cannot install your appx and here is the error info:

"Either you need a new certificate installed for this app package, or you need a new app package with trusted certificates. Your system administrator or the app developer can help. A certificate chain processed, but terminated in a root certificate which isn't trusted (0x800B0109)"

Do you have a certificate yet: https://docs.microsoft.com/en-us/windows/uwp/porting/desktop-to-uwp-signing?

Best regards,

Barry

MSDN Community Support
    Please remember to click "Mark as Answer" the responses that resolved your issue, and to click "Unmark as Answer" if not. This can be beneficial to other community members reading this thread. If you have any compliments or complaints to MSDN Support, feel free to contact MSDNFSF@microsoft.com.

Monday, May 8, 2017 6:10 AM
  • Hi Brwa

I have the same problem. My desktop App have dll for 32 bit and 64 bit. When I convert my App in UWP then it have dll registered problem. I want to read following path HKEY_CURRENT_USER\SOFTWARE\Microsoft\Windows\CurrentVersion\App Paths\OUTLOOK.EXE or HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\SOFTWARE\Microsoft\Windows\CurrentVersion\App Paths\OUTLOOK.EXE at conversion time. Please request you to tell me How can I read this from registry.

Thanks

Monday, July 9, 2018 6:02 AM