none
[UWP]UWP - Further Understanding of Developer Account RRS feed

• Question

• Just installed VS 2019 and want to test drive (or develop) some UWP Applications.  However, it seems like

1. Starting on VS 2019, Microsoft needs developers to have a "Developer Account" (either Personal / Business) in order to access or build the UWP Applications.  I can't remember if it requires on VS 2017 or just starting on VS 2019.

2. The Microsoft Developer Account looks very similar to the "fruit" brand's developer account.  We can promote and sell our software through Microsoft Store.

3. As far as I know, as of today, 2019 Sep, there is still NO need to have a developer account for building .NET Applications such as WinForms, WPF...etc

And please, I personally get a bit unclear about these issues, and hopefully folks on this forum can provide additional information about that.

Thank you !

Saturday, September 7, 2019 6:32 AM

All replies

• Well, it is not really a developer account, it is mainly just the same thing that Windows 10 uses for non-local accounts. When we sign into Windows using a non-local account we can use the same account for developer services just as we can for many other services. It is comparable to accounts used in smartphones, such as Google accounts for Android. We might not like it but that is how things work.

Sam Hobbs
    SimpleSamples.Info

Saturday, September 7, 2019 11:02 PM
  • One-time-only fee for

1. For a personal account, it costs 19 USD.  
    OR
    2. For a business account, it costs 99 USD.  

Does that mean I have to pay for the fee in order to build UWP application(s)?

Sunday, September 8, 2019 3:59 AM
  • Where do you see that? It will really help if you told us what you are looking at instead of making us trust you.

Probably you are looking at accounts for using the Microsoft Store. You are asking about building UWP, not uploading them. So it would help to know what you are referring to exactly.

For the future, UWP questions should be posted in the UWP forum; it is called Universal something, you won't find it by searching for a UWP forum.

Sam Hobbs
    SimpleSamples.Info

Sunday, September 8, 2019 4:19 AM
  • The following is a little relevant history. I got most of this from WikiPedia and my understanding of it might not be accurate.

• Apple purchased SoundJam MP in 2000 and renamed it "iTunes".
    • Google created Android Market and announced it August 28, 2008 (that later became part of Google Play) 
    • Microsoft announced Windows Marketplace on July 12, 2004 and launched it on October 12, 2004 (I do not know how comparable it is to iTunes and what the Android Market was like)
    • Microsoft announced Windows Store September 13, 2011 (I am not sure of the details but that is probably close enough)

So Microsoft was and is doing what the competition is and was doing.

Sam Hobbs
    SimpleSamples.Info

Monday, September 9, 2019 3:42 AM
  • Here is the link you might be looking for

https://docs.microsoft.com/en-us/windows/uwp/get-started/enable-your-device-for-development

I actually want to build a UWP application but it seems like I must have a developer account in order to have it.  

Could you advise how I can build a "Hello World" UWP application (without the need of Developer Account)?  I get a bit confused about that.

thank you

Tuesday, September 10, 2019 2:20 AM
  • Here is the link you might be looking for

https://docs.microsoft.com/en-us/windows/uwp/get-started/enable-your-device-for-development

Where do you see Developer Account in that page? The only place I see it is Create a developer account and that says what I already said. I see Developer Mode in many places in that page.

Sam Hobbs
    SimpleSamples.Info

Tuesday, September 10, 2019 2:49 AM