The following forum(s) have migrated to Microsoft Q&A (Preview): Developing Universal Windows apps!
Visit Microsoft Q&A (Preview) to post new questions.

Learn More

Rendering issue with Windows phone 7 emulator RRS feed

• Question

• Hi, has anyone else experienced issues using the windows phone 7 emulator?

I have begun to develop a simple air hockey game, but have already run into issues! The problem is that the emulator fails to render any images to the screen. It doesn't seem to have a problem when the only image I'm drawing is the background image (180kb .jpg). I can get it to successfully draw on the puck image but it only sometimes works. I also tried drawing on the two mallets, but this only worked a couple of times. Most of the time, the emulator will not render any images, and the screen will be blank (black screen). 

It seemed to work more often (but not always) when I was only drawing the one image (but surely it can't be a performance issue!). There doesn't seem to be a problem with the code as far as I can see. I wonder if anyone else was running into issues using the emulator? I don't have a Windows Phone 7 to test it on. 

I did some googling and I read a conversation where someone talked about known issues rendering games in landscape mode or something. They recommended setting the PreferredBackBufferWidth/Height to 480*800. I tried this but it didn't seem to make a difference. I also searched these forums but I didn't find anything relevant! 

Anyone care to help? :) 

I appreciate all replies! 

[Edit: I messed around with it further and it started to work again. I haven't changed any of the code. Is it always this temperamental?!]
    Sunday, November 7, 2010 4:14 PM

Answers

• Hi Ciaran,

Worth checking DxDiag as Richard advises. You can also use Save All Information and search for wddm/directx in the output as the info can sometimes display on different tabs. Feel free to paste the text output if not sure.

You can also check your system requirements against Setup and System Requirements for Windows Phone Emulator

Note VM's aren't supported and if using BootCamp or Vista the experience has been mixed.

Mick.

Sunday, November 7, 2010 10:21 PM

All replies

• Not normally, usually the emulator works fairly well. It could be though that your machine isn't beefy enough to run Visual Studio and the Emulator? They both are serious resource hogs so you could be seeing performance issues with the emulator if that's the case.
    Sunday, November 7, 2010 5:39 PM
  • Check that your computer supports the emulator's graphics requirements (minimum DirectX 10 and device driver WDDM 1.1). Run dxdiag.exe, click on the Display tab, and look at DDI Version and Driver Model.
    Sunday, November 7, 2010 6:09 PM
  • Hi Ciaran,

Worth checking DxDiag as Richard advises. You can also use Save All Information and search for wddm/directx in the output as the info can sometimes display on different tabs. Feel free to paste the text output if not sure.

You can also check your system requirements against Setup and System Requirements for Windows Phone Emulator

Note VM's aren't supported and if using BootCamp or Vista the experience has been mixed.

Mick.

Sunday, November 7, 2010 10:21 PM
  • hi everyone thanks for the replies. I have Windows 7 64-bit 6gb RAM intel core i7 with Direct X 10. I'm not sure what the problem was but I restarted and loaded up everything again and it seems to be working fine since, with no change to the code!

Not sure what I was doing wrong there, but thanks for the help and suggestions.

Maybe the emulator (or my computer) is just a little temperamental...

If I run into the same problem later I'll follow your advice!
    Tuesday, November 9, 2010 8:46 AM