none
Win32 app in the Windows Store RRS feed

• Question

• Hi! 

We have a couple apps in the windows store. Our main app is called Tablet Pro. The main app is a win32 app that uses uiaccess, the editor and payment method is the Tablet Pro manager which is a UWP. It is a utility app that allows customized keyboard shortcut onscreen buttons and toolbars to be placed on or docked next to win32 apps. 

We have so many incredible artists and creatives that use our software to do some amazing work on their surface computers 

Our biggest complaint from our user is that they need to do multiple installs from multiple locations. It's a BIG pain point.

The very best thing that could happen for our little company would be the inclusion of both apps into the Windows store.

I heard that win32 apps would be allowed in the store in the form of games. 

I would be so unbelievably excited and OVER THE MOON if there was a way that our app could be included in the win32 allowed apps on the windows store. I want to do whatever I can to get us included. 

is there someone that I can talk to, work with, or bribe heavily (jk, kinda) to get to this end goal? 

Thank you so much for what you guys are doing. I love Microsoft and am so thankful to be a part of what we all are building together. 

Justice 

Tablet Pro

https://www.tabletpro.com

Wednesday, August 7, 2019 8:30 PM

All replies

• Hi Justice,
    I heard that win32 apps would be allowed in the store in the form of games. 
    >It's possible to publish Win32 apps to the Windows store, but it doesn't have to be in the form of game.

You could use Desktop App Converter (DAC) which can create package for desktop applications to integrate with the latest Windows features, including distribution and servicing via the Microsoft Store. This includes Win32 apps and apps that you've created by using .NET 4.6.1.You could refer the detailed steps in Package with the Desktop App Converter.

Best regards

Daisy  Tian

MSDN Community Support
    Please remember to click "Mark as Answer" the responses that resolved your issue, and to click "Unmark as Answer" if not. This can be beneficial to other community members reading this thread. If you have any compliments or complaints to MSDN Support, feel free to contact MSDNFSF@microsoft.com.

Thursday, August 8, 2019 5:30 AM
  • Hi Daisy, 

Thank you for your reply. I believe that the DAC converts the win32 app into a UWP. And the UWP format doesn't support uiAccess, which is necessary for our application to function properly. Has uiAccess support been added? If it has not is there a process we can follow that could get our win32 app into the store without converting it to a UWP? 

Thank you Daisy, I really appreciate your time. 

Justice

This article's information is what I'm referencing

https://mspoweruser.com/microsoft-finally-pushing-win32-support-for-windows-store-and-windows-10/

justice tabletpro - touch shortcuts www.tabletpro.net

Friday, August 9, 2019 2:14 PM
  • Hi Justice,

>Has uiAccess support been added?

No, an desktop bridge app cannot request admin elevation or UIAccess per Microsoft Store policy. 

>If it has not is there a process we can follow that could get our win32 app into the store without converting it to a UWP? 

No, it may be impossible to release Win32 app into Store without converting it in to a UWP app now.

Best regards

Daisy  Tian

MSDN Community Support
    Please remember to click "Mark as Answer" the responses that resolved your issue, and to click "Unmark as Answer" if not. This can be beneficial to other community members reading this thread. If you have any compliments or complaints to MSDN Support, feel free to contact MSDNFSF@microsoft.com.

Monday, August 12, 2019 6:04 AM
  • Hi Daisy, 

Is the article I referenced incorrect? or perhaps I am misinterpreting it. 

my reading of that article suggests that win32 games will be allowed in the store with full privileges. 

for quicker reference here is the link again

https://mspoweruser.com/microsoft-finally-pushing-win32-support-for-windows-store-and-windows-10/

Thank you Daisy

Monday, August 12, 2019 9:19 AM
  • Hi Justice,

Converting to desktop bridge app is required to release a Win32 app to the Store.In my understanding, the link which you referred to is that Win32 game could be released to the Store, not releasing the Win32 app to in forms of game without converting.If I misunderstand, please point out.

Best regards

Daisy  Tian

MSDN Community Support

Tuesday, August 13, 2019 8:15 AM
  • Hi Daisy, 

I believe i see where the confusion is coming from. It seems to me that there is no reason for this article or the announcement from microsoft unless one thing is true. Prior to this announcement win32 apps of all types including games could be converted to a store app. I see no purpose in announcing very old information. The announcement seems to point to a change in policy not a continuation of an old policy. It seems to me (if I am not misunderstanding) that the change is to broaden the scope of what can be sold from the windows store to include win32 games with full privileges and access to EVERYTHING made possible by the windows operating system. Not requiring the app to be converted to the limited functionality provided by the UWP platform.

Would you be able to confirm with others there on what the change includes?

Thank you very much for your time. 

Justice

Thursday, August 15, 2019 5:32 AM