Win 8.1, Surface, Remote Debugger

Question

• Installed the preview version of Win 8.1 on my surface today.  VS2012 remote debugger wouldn't run.  Found the VS2013 debugger and installed it.  VS2012 won't connect to it.  Am I doing something wrong, or is the VS2013 remote debugger on Surface not compatible with VS2012?

Regards, Jim

Thursday, June 27, 2013 2:04 AM

Answers

• For debugging applications on Windows 8.1 Preview RT devices you need to use VS2013 Professional, Premium, or Ultimate Preview with the Remote Tools for VS2013 Preview.

We are aware that VS2012 is not compatible with Windows 8.1 Preview, and we are working to address this with the next update to VS2012.

Thanks,
    Dave Lubash
    Visual Studio Team

Thursday, June 27, 2013 7:47 PM

All replies

• Update 3 didn't fix the problem.  FYI, the last image of my app that was pushed to my Surface before I upgraded to 8.1 does run just fine.  It would be nice, though if VS2012 could talk to the Win 8.1 VS2013 debugger.  Or, as an alternate, release a VS2012 remote debugger that runs on Win 8.1.

Regards, Jim

Thursday, June 27, 2013 2:50 AM
  • Same issue here, in desperate need of a solution.
    Thursday, June 27, 2013 6:35 PM
  • Thanks for the clarification Jim. I haven't tried this as of yet. However, it's my understanding that if you have the VS2013 Pro->Ultimate SKU, you can still target 8.0 Applications (without porting them to 8.1), and I believe you can remote debug via the 2013 IDE and remote debugger.

And I can confirm the Debugger Team is definitely aware of the issue.

Sincerely,

Ed Dore

Thursday, June 27, 2013 7:31 PM
  • For debugging applications on Windows 8.1 Preview RT devices you need to use VS2013 Professional, Premium, or Ultimate Preview with the Remote Tools for VS2013 Preview.

We are aware that VS2012 is not compatible with Windows 8.1 Preview, and we are working to address this with the next update to VS2012.

Thanks,
    Dave Lubash
    Visual Studio Team

Thursday, June 27, 2013 7:47 PM
  • Does VS2013 require 8.1 to be installed in order to open Windows Store Apps?

Here is my scenario:

I have my main development machine on Win8, VS2012.
    I updated my Surface RT to 8.1, I can no longer remote debug my app.
    So I downloaded VS2013 Ultimate, and I can not create Windows Store App projects, nor can I open up my existing project.

I can not go through the hassle of installing the preview on my main development machine.

Any suggestions?

Thursday, June 27, 2013 7:50 PM
  • @MJFara, I got the exact same problem here, need some guy from M$ to give us a real solution
    Thursday, June 27, 2013 7:53 PM
  • Thanks for the info, Ed and Dave.  I liked 8.1, but the lack of a VS2012-compatible remote debugger for Surface RT is a showstopper for me.  I put 8.0 back on my RT machine.

Regards, Jim

Thursday, June 27, 2013 8:27 PM
  • Same here. 8.1 is good to see and feel on the device, but the issue with deploying old 8.0 apps through VS2012 is a showstopper.

MS, would be great to have a fix next Tuesday for this.

Thank you

Wednesday, July 10, 2013 7:43 AM
  • I just hit the same issue. I have upgraded my Surface to 8.1, and now when I try to install the remote debug tool I get a "Windows cannot verify the digital signature ...". I had the remote debugger installed before the upgrade, but I figured I should try and reinstall it, but it did not help.

Wednesday, August 7, 2013 2:29 AM
  • Hello Guys,

I did the same issue since Windows 8.1 Preview was installed on my Surface RT. For those of you, who created a recoverable USB drive, you can restore Windows 8 back. Unfortunately I didn't create a USB drive and couldn't repair Windows 8 back. Instead, I've found the following tools:

Remote Tools for Visual Studio 2013 Preview

Please be aware that you can't download the arm edition to Surface directly (I don't know why, but the x86 is downloaded instead). I have to download and move the installer to Surface via a USB drive.

Regards from Belarus,

Eugene Astafiev

Tuesday, August 13, 2013 2:03 PM
  • What version of the Remote Tools were you trying to install? For debugging applications on Windows 8.1 Preview RT devices you need to use VS2013 Professional, Premium, or Ultimate Preview with the Remote Tools for VS2013 Preview.

Tuesday, August 20, 2013 5:06 PM
  • I think the wrong download issue is caused by an IE11 preview problem. I believe if you select all 3 downloads it will download them all and then you can run just the ARM one.

Doug

Wednesday, August 28, 2013 2:43 PM
  • I happened to find this article and describes my situation perfectly. I was hoping that Update 4 RC would include something to move this forward. Unfortunately there doesn't seem to be. Are there any updates on this feature?

Thanks in advance.

• Edited by LiquidSpy Tuesday, October 15, 2013 4:42 AM
    Tuesday, October 15, 2013 4:40 AM
  • Hi LiquidSpy

I got notified because you edited this. Are you still having problems?

If so, which RC of update 4 are your using?

The arm remote tools for update 4 RC4 should work on 8.1 and is available through the general RC4 download:

http://www.microsoft.com/en-us/download/details.aspx?id=40338

Regards

Doug

Tuesday, October 15, 2013 9:09 PM
  • No, sorry. Once I realized I needed to install the remote client tools from RC4, instead of the ones available for 8.1, I was good. Was thinking the update applied to VS2012, not the remote debugging tools. Thanks for checking back with me.

Wednesday, October 16, 2013 1:47 PM