none
Certification - how long does it currently take?

All replies

• 3 days for my submission last week but I'm assuming time will increase as GA approaches. I'd expect up to 5 days at this point.
    Sunday, October 7, 2012 6:53 PM
  • It says 7 days right there. My last app took pretty much that time.
    Sunday, October 7, 2012 10:58 PM
  • I'm on day 19 now and still waiting...
    Monday, October 8, 2012 1:25 PM
  • i am on day 10 for my app.....  how long will it take ? it said "up to 7 days"....
    Monday, October 8, 2012 3:44 PM
  • i am on day 10 for my app.....  how long will it take ? it said "up to 7 days"....
    Well, no. It says "Usually takes about 7 day". I'm on day 7 now, and I believe I should have added a Privacy Policy link in the submittion process, but seeing as W8 launch is just around the corner, I'm a bit anxious to cancel and re-submit now.
    Tuesday, October 9, 2012 7:05 AM
  • Yea... if you missed the privacy policy link in the program / in charm settings, you'd better cancel it and resubmit it... i waited 5 days before to get this failed result... and now waited 10+ days to add it back.... It is so easy to test the charm settings for a privacy policy, right ??
    Tuesday, October 9, 2012 7:26 AM
  • Yea... if you missed the privacy policy link in the program / in charm settings, you'd better cancel it and resubmit it... i waited 5 days before to get this failed result... and now waited 10+ days to add it back.... It is so easy to test the charm settings for a privacy policy, right ??

Nah, I forgot to add the Privacy Policy link in the submittion process, but I had a Privacy Policy in Charm settings..
    Tuesday, October 9, 2012 2:10 PM
  • fyi, my first attempt misses the Privacy Policy link in the submission process, rejected. Second attempt misses the privacy policy in charm settings, rejected..... This is my third attempt...... sigh.....
    Tuesday, October 9, 2012 2:59 PM
  • Hi all

For a privacy policy, what do we have to add there?
    My app gives users the possibility to Login into several Websites. They are using their username/Password of the Websites. we are just forwarding it.

And we are saving them encrypted on the device for a later Login.

So we Need a short Explanation of what we are doing as a charm Setting, and we Need a Website link (?) with the exact same Thing?

Thanks

Tuesday, October 9, 2012 3:53 PM
  • fyi, my first attempt misses the Privacy Policy link in the submission process, rejected. Second attempt misses the privacy policy in charm settings, rejected..... This is my third attempt...... sigh.....

Ah, that's terrible. Just re-submitted one of my apps, and added the Privacy Policy link to a quick blog I had to make. Such a weird system, should be able to just quick-add such small details, not have to re-submit and use another week (if you're lucky...).

EDIT: Whaat! The other app I submitted 7 days ago (without Privacy Policy link, only in Charms) just passed cert! SO STOKED.

• Edited by AndreasBNor Tuesday, October 9, 2012 8:00 PM
    Tuesday, October 9, 2012 6:35 PM
  • Hi all

For a privacy policy, what do we have to add there?
    My app gives users the possibility to Login into several Websites. They are using their username/Password of the Websites. we are just forwarding it.

And we are saving them encrypted on the device for a later Login.

Section 4.1.1 of the Certification requrements guide states the following:

If your app collects or transmits any user’s personal information, including an IP address, you must maintain a privacy policy that complies with applicable laws and regulations, informs users of the information collected by your app and how that information is used, stored, secured and disclosed, and describes the controls that users have over the use and sharing of their information, and how they may access their information.

I guess you storing the encrypted passwords falls under "collects (..) any user's personal information", which means you must inform about this in the privacy policy. The policy must be available from the settings charm and in the description of the app in the store. No hyperlinks necessary, in other words.

Tuesday, October 9, 2012 6:51 PM
  • After waiting 10 days after submitting a new Release (only one or two bug fixes) my app failed Certification Requirements - even though the same app has been in the store for almost two months. There was nothing to do but resubmit again.The recent "failures" seem both arbitrary and frustratingly long.

The Submission and Certification process is the single biggest barrier to writing Apps for the Store right now.

Saturday, October 13, 2012 2:34 AM
  • After waiting 10 days after submitting a new Release (only one or two bug fixes) my app failed Certification Requirements - even though the same app has been in the store for almost two months. There was nothing to do but resubmit again.The recent "failures" seem both arbitrary and frustratingly long.

The Submission and Certification process is the single biggest barrier to writing Apps for the Store right now.

I agree. And with so many students developing apps as well, on our spare time, and then get them rejected after waiting one third of a month... well, you don't care to develop any other apps for the platform if it continues like this.
    Saturday, October 13, 2012 6:43 AM
  • I havent been waiting as long as you guys I submitted my latest app on Thursday so im not expecting it to go through until next week but I did notice that the certification time frame has changed since submitting my first app and has gone up from 5 days to 7 days (Doesn't include weekends) so it would appear the number of apps getting submitted is starting to overwhelm the store staff which is probably the reason certification is taking so long these days.

A couple of threads were started in the forum 2-3 months ago pleading with Microsoft to open the store to all developers because the launch date was closing in but they didnt listen and now the store is getting flooded with so many app submissions I dont think they can cope/get through them fast enough and a lot of devs are going to be disappointed when their apps are not in the store on GA :( 

Saturday, October 13, 2012 1:06 PM
  • ya, i do not have hope in windows platform anymore, why not putting my time on anxxxid platform, they can go to the market immediately...

i have been waiting for 14 days already, no progress bar on the developer portal of my apps .... at least, letting me know how long should i wait further..... 

if i am doing business to launch new apps to windows store, i must be fired by my boss because of not getting the apps to the market just in time..... :(

Saturday, October 13, 2012 3:26 PM
  • finally got the certification result after 16 days.... FAILED

of course i ran WACK before i submit and it get passed...... hahaa.... does the tester's pc runs slow with win8 ??

==

Your app doesn't meet requirement 3.8. Learn more

The launch time and suspend time of an app depends on many variables, such as system load and configuration, which can vary from one computer to another and from one test to another. Because of this variability, a launch time or a suspend time that is just under the limit in one instance could be just over the limit, and fail the test, in another.

If the app's launch time or suspend time is close to the limit, review what the app is doing to handle those events and look for ways to reduce that activity.

Notes from Testers:

A:: This app failed performance test in the Windows App Certification Kit. The Performance Analyzer for HTML5 Apps enables you to find common performance issues in your app that prevent it from being fast and fluid. The tool tests your apps in a wide variety of scenarios including fast UI responsiveness, fluid graphics animations, activation time, suspend times, memory foot print, memory leaks, Idle efficiency, and touch responsiveness. See: http://msdn.microsoft.com/en-us/library/windows/apps/jj553524.aspx

Monday, October 15, 2012 11:56 AM
  • Ok, so I'm now officially on day 26 (day 24 on content compliance). 2 Support tickets has not helped - but they did at least answer. They basically said they had a lot to do, but I would hear from them if there was a problem.

I'm not impressed Microsoft.

Monday, October 15, 2012 12:31 PM
  • That's bad, especially considering they just started a contest for developers.  First 2000 people in the app store get a slate
    Monday, October 15, 2012 2:11 PM
  • That's bad, especially considering they just started a contest for developers.  First 2000 people in the app store get a slate
    Really? URL?
    Monday, October 15, 2012 2:22 PM
  • Don't have a URL, but you have to sign up for generationapp and the contest is on your homepage.

You can only submit your name for the contest if your app is accepted, you need the store URL of the final app to submit an entry.  It's first-come-first-serve.

Monday, October 15, 2012 2:35 PM
  • The whole "content" testing should also be more transparent. Has it already been started? How long has the app been run? Who is testing it and where? Cannot be so difficult to implement that. Even with ASP :)
    Monday, October 15, 2012 2:43 PM
  • I am on 10th day of content compliance test, reminds me of my windows phone 7 app certification process :(

Akarsh Seggemu

Monday, October 15, 2012 7:29 PM
  • I'm on day 7 and was hoping this would be it - but reading this thread I think I will have to wait much longer.  This is frustrating as failure looks fairly likely from this thread and from the fact I've fixed a couple of minor bugs since.

Would be nice to be able to submit an update while in the Q to be tested.

Stuart

Tuesday, October 16, 2012 11:12 AM
  • On my 7th day now aswell ... It's quite annoying really, as we don't even know if they'll go through. Could basically take a month++ just getting the app out if you do something wrong a few times.
    Tuesday, October 16, 2012 5:06 PM
  • Well, in all fairness, I got my result back today after 7 days (+ a bit of time zone difference) so as advertised.  Obviously it failed - but the diagnostics were pretty clear so I can't complain.

Now to fix it!

Stuart

Wednesday, October 17, 2012 11:49 AM
  • What kind of diagnostics did you get back?
    Wednesday, October 17, 2012 12:15 PM
  • What kind of diagnostics did you get back?

Pretty good details/notes

"- C:: Our reviewer could not find a privacy statement in the Windows Charm settings of this app. F:: It is unclear how to create an account for this app to be reviewed. This prevented us from completing our review of this app. B:: This app stopped responding during the review and we couldn't complete the review of it."

All of this was pretty much fair enough (IMO).

They also attached screen shots of how they'd got to the crash - better than my test team who didn't find it (or rather didn't test it on the last release).

So, apart from the failures, which were down to me, can't complain really. (:-))

Stuart

Wednesday, October 17, 2012 3:43 PM
  • Sounds like an improvement, yes. Now, we need to file videos of bugs to MS support often. Wonder when they will introduce that for app reviews. Then we could see the crash in action and not just screenshots. But I am not complaining. Lets hope they understand how to register in my app and if not also send some screenshots.
    Wednesday, October 17, 2012 4:00 PM
  • i submitted and update last monday and wednesday it was already certifitied

Wednesday, October 17, 2012 5:31 PM
  • 6 days for me this time. And it seems the apps are tested in Beijing. But thats just a wild guess, cause it passed certification at 1:04 AM MS Time.
    Thursday, October 18, 2012 12:28 PM
  • I'm averaging 5-6 days per submission.
    Thursday, October 18, 2012 2:32 PM
  • For the past couple of weeks it says it'll take about 7 days. Two weeks ago, my app got certified in 2 or 3 days, but last time it took roughly 6-7 days. I'd bet on a week to be sure.

Thursday, October 18, 2012 2:51 PM
  • i submitted a fairly simple app on oct 7...failed oct 15 (no privacy policy, even though my app did not collect any user information, and launch issues that were not picked up during my tests (before or after rejection))...resubmitted oct 16 (included a link to a privacy policy, made no other changes), and it passed oct 22 (i guess the launch issues weren't really issues? or they corrected themselves magically).  now i'm trying to change the price, and the app has to go through the whole certification process again.  but at least it is in the store while it is waiting for the price change...
    Thursday, October 25, 2012 3:51 PM
  • I also forgot the Privacy Policy link and had to resubmit it.. I don't have much hope as it was resubmitted on Oct. 22 ( first time submission ).

I can only rely on the fact that microsoft wants a good filled store at launch, so I hope they hire a few more testers for that time. Please :)

Thursday, October 25, 2012 6:10 PM
  • My wishes have been heard ! The app passed certification "10/25/2012 9:32 PM" , thats only 3-4 Days! Thanks Microsoft :)
    Friday, October 26, 2012 4:47 AM
  • I submitted my App on October 22nd at 10pm EST. It was certified on October 26th at 12:10 PM EST.

My app is small. The functionality is easily tested within an hour timespan. It is a children's story book application, so the content is easy to browse and understand. I have very few settings. I'm sure the low complexity is one reason it went through so fast.

There's still hope for those of you waiting, though. They're really cranking through the apps.

Friday, October 26, 2012 4:12 PM
  • I submitted my app for the first time on 9/23, it failed on 9/26.

I re-submitted my app on 9/27, it failed on on 9/29.

I re-submitted my app again on 10/2, and it passed on 10/8.

Though my app is fairly simple, I was pleased with the response times.

I can imagine the Microsoft testers are extra busy right now as developers are a lot of developers are trying to get into the Microsoft Store. But I would also imagine they are doing the best they can get responses to developers quickly.

It's no secret that the success of Windows 8 will be partly dependent on having enough quality apps available for purchase. And to Microsoft's credit, I think they get that and are doing there best to encourage the development of software for Windows 8.

Aaron3D

Monday, October 29, 2012 10:17 AM
  • my latest submission was being certified for 7 days. I guess that the pipeline is currently at full capacity.
    Monday, October 29, 2012 12:56 PM
  • I've had a simple app in certification for 9 days now - looks like theses guys are overloaded.

Stuart

Wednesday, November 14, 2012 10:38 AM
  • Mine was done and in the store in 2 days. But it's a pretty simple writing application, so not much to it to test.
    Thursday, November 15, 2012 1:20 AM
  • Our app was certified in less than 24hrs. Submitted on Friday afternoon and was up on store Saturday morning.

Check out our FREE Windows 8 Store app and Windows Phone app - Trekstir Lite Children's Book - with unique and original stories. Your kid(s) will love it.

Monday, December 3, 2012 9:12 PM
  • Yes - they seem to be quicker now... My golf app (MyGolfHub) took less than 24 hours and there are actually a few scenarios to test.

Tuesday, December 4, 2012 9:01 PM
  • i actually got denied because of a seurity reason, and i do not have a privacy policy, how do i add that to my app to get it to pass the certficatiion.

my app is just text and buttons except 2 links one to youtube and other one to google.

should i have a privacy policy for an app that simple. its like a personal translator/dictionary

Friday, April 5, 2013 5:44 PM
  • We've been waiting now for over two weeks for certification to complete.  Support said "maybe it is stuck and you should re-submit.  This sounds like the IT support version of 'switch off your computer and switch on again'

What would readers suggest, wait and eventually see what happens or withdraw and re-submit.

Saturday, April 13, 2013 7:47 AM
  • I generally cancel and resubmit after 5-6 days, and it then tends to go through in 1--2 days from the resubmission. Have never left it longer than 8 days before resubmitting so have no idea if they just get stuck until you action it, or if they are eventually picked up.
    Saturday, April 13, 2013 8:00 AM
  • I had the same experience as the previous posts. After 2 weeks of waiting for my app to get certified, I talked to support and they gave the same advice. Cancel the release and resubmit without making any changes. Within a few hours I heard back from the testers.
    Friday, April 19, 2013 1:53 PM
  • I'm on day 11, based on the other posts it sounds like I should just cancel and resubmit ... the time says 'usually takes 5 days'.
    Saturday, April 27, 2013 8:22 PM