none
Do I need a URL Privacy Policy RRS feed

• Question

• First of all I would like to thank everyone at MSDN Forum for the help in the past. I would never have been able to get my Apps on the Windows Store.

Do I need a URL Privacy Policy for a Desktop App that has been packaged using Visual Studio 2017 Professional. Microsoft Customer Support tell me All packaged Desktop Apps require URL Privacy Policy. After going to a this link. You can see the requirements that the URL should have in our Developer Agreementsection 4.F.(see images) Problem Being there is no mention of an URL Privacy Policy or Section 4.F. I have tried everything this crap has been going on since November. Can I circumvent Microsoft Customer Support and get people who won’t lie. Please help.

Thursday, February 21, 2019 8:16 PM

Answers

• Hi minaro1961,

You need to add a URL which include the privacy policy declare the data used and collected through your application under the Support info option on the Properties page.This thread: How To Add a Privacy Policy to Windows Phone Apps may give you some help for the detail steps.

Best regards

Daisy  Tian

MSDN Community Support
    Please remember to click "Mark as Answer" the responses that resolved your issue, and to click "Unmark as Answer" if not. This can be beneficial to other community members reading this thread. If you have any compliments or complaints to MSDN Support, feel free to contact MSDNFSF@microsoft.com.

• Marked as answer by monaro1961 Friday, April 12, 2019 8:32 AM
    Friday, February 22, 2019 8:48 AM
  • Hi Daisy

Thank you for your reply. However I did fail to mention my Apps contain all the code within in the Apps themselves and are not server based. Also they are not Windows Phone Apps. There for PC’s running Windows 10 only. The Apps do not collect any data from users, there completely stand alone and use no capabilities(please view images). On reading your I am getting the impression Microsoft Customer Support just assume all Apps are phone apps.

Regards

Terry 
    Friday, February 22, 2019 4:56 PM
  • Hi Terry,

>there completely stand alone and use no capabilities(please view images)

I can't see any images from you. Could you show me your configuration for <Capabilities>  in the appxmanifest file?

Best regards

Daisy  Tian

MSDN Community Support
    Please remember to click "Mark as Answer" the responses that resolved your issue, and to click "Unmark as Answer" if not. This can be beneficial to other community members reading this thread. If you have any compliments or complaints to MSDN Support, feel free to contact MSDNFSF@microsoft.com.

• Marked as answer by monaro1961 Friday, April 12, 2019 8:31 AM
    Monday, February 25, 2019 6:06 AM
  • My Apps contain all the code within in the Apps themselves and are not server based. Also they are not Windows Phone Apps. There for PC’s running Windows 10 only. The Apps do not collect any data from users, there completely stand alone and use no capabilities(please view images). According to Microsoft Customer Support my apps are considered a Centennial (or Desktop Bridge App) and therefore require me to have a URL Privacy Policy. If I have posted this question in the wrong place. I simply followed a link in an email from Microsoft Customer Support.

Regards

Terry Harrison

Monday, February 25, 2019 11:50 AM
  • The Desktop Bridge and runFullTrust are tied together. To remove runFullTrust you'd need to rewrite your app as a native UWP app rather than packaging the Desktop Bridge. Desktop apps usually use API and features not available to UWP apps, and require runFullTrust to get access to those API and features in the UWP context.

How much work this is depends highly on your app. If you've used recommended best practices to separate the UI from the business logic (MVVM, etc.), and if the business logic is written using .Net Standard, then the business logic layer should port pretty simply. The UI layer would need to be rewritten as it looks like you're using WinForms, which is not supported in UWP without the Desktop Bridge.

• Marked as answer by monaro1961 Tuesday, February 26, 2019 6:46 PM
    Tuesday, February 26, 2019 5:37 PM

All replies

• Hi minaro1961,

You need to add a URL which include the privacy policy declare the data used and collected through your application under the Support info option on the Properties page.This thread: How To Add a Privacy Policy to Windows Phone Apps may give you some help for the detail steps.

Best regards

Daisy  Tian

MSDN Community Support

Friday, February 22, 2019 8:48 AM
  • Hi Daisy

Thank you for your reply. However I did fail to mention my Apps contain all the code within in the Apps themselves and are not server based. Also they are not Windows Phone Apps. There for PC’s running Windows 10 only. The Apps do not collect any data from users, there completely stand alone and use no capabilities(please view images). On reading your I am getting the impression Microsoft Customer Support just assume all Apps are phone apps.

Regards

Terry 
    Friday, February 22, 2019 4:56 PM
  • Hi Terry,

>there completely stand alone and use no capabilities(please view images)

I can't see any images from you. Could you show me your configuration for <Capabilities>  in the appxmanifest file?

Best regards

Daisy  Tian

MSDN Community Support

• Marked as answer by monaro1961 Friday, April 12, 2019 8:31 AM
    Monday, February 25, 2019 6:06 AM
  • My Apps contain all the code within in the Apps themselves and are not server based. Also they are not Windows Phone Apps. There for PC’s running Windows 10 only. The Apps do not collect any data from users, there completely stand alone and use no capabilities(please view images). According to Microsoft Customer Support my apps are considered a Centennial (or Desktop Bridge App) and therefore require me to have a URL Privacy Policy. If I have posted this question in the wrong place. I simply followed a link in an email from Microsoft Customer Support.

Regards

Terry Harrison

Monday, February 25, 2019 11:50 AM
  • Your app is using the Desktop Bridge, which means that it has the runFullTrust capability. This capability (along with several other restricted capabilities that require special handling) is not shown in the manifest editor and needs to be edited directly in the manifest's xml. The packaging tool you used did this for you, and if you look at the manifest file's XML you should see it there. This capability allows the app significant access to personal information, so you need to provide a privacy policy saying what your app will (or in your case: will not) do with that capability.

If the app didn't have runFullTrust (or other related capabilities) then it would run isolated and not have access to personal information, the file system, the network, etc. and the store could automatically flag it as such.

The Privacy Policy URL documentation calls out that high-access capabilities (and nothing is higher access than runFullTrust) will automatically check the "Yes" box:

Note
    If we detect that your packages declare capabilities that could allow personal information to be accessed, transmitted, or collected, we will mark this question as Yes, and you will be required to enter a privacy policy URL.
    Monday, February 25, 2019 11:28 PM
  • Hi Rob

Thanks for reply. Sadly for both of us I have little formal training when using Visual Studio and are a self-taught developer. So I don’t know where the manifest file's XML is or how to edit correctly. Is there any way I can use the Desktop Bridge and eliminate the runFullTrust capability. I read the restricted capabilities link you embedded and my App does not use any of those restricted capabilities. I know at the end of the day this is a bit self-inflicted because I have not rewritten my Apps in XAML. Firstly being I have not yet finished Adam Nathan’s book Universal Windows Apps with XAML and C#. Secondly one App has 28,000 lines of code and the other has 42,000 lines of code. So any work around to remove runFullTrust capability and restricted capabilities would be more than helpful.

Regards

Terry Harrison

Tuesday, February 26, 2019 2:36 AM
  • The Desktop Bridge and runFullTrust are tied together. To remove runFullTrust you'd need to rewrite your app as a native UWP app rather than packaging the Desktop Bridge. Desktop apps usually use API and features not available to UWP apps, and require runFullTrust to get access to those API and features in the UWP context.

How much work this is depends highly on your app. If you've used recommended best practices to separate the UI from the business logic (MVVM, etc.), and if the business logic is written using .Net Standard, then the business logic layer should port pretty simply. The UI layer would need to be rewritten as it looks like you're using WinForms, which is not supported in UWP without the Desktop Bridge.

• Marked as answer by monaro1961 Tuesday, February 26, 2019 6:46 PM
    Tuesday, February 26, 2019 5:37 PM