none
Existing Java application - deployable via windows 10 app store RRS feed

• Question

• We have an existing java application, architecturally it runs application server (tomcat) and the user interface is accessed via a web browser. We have an InstallShield (InstallScript MSI) based installer for this application. Using this installer we can deploy this application on variety of windows operating systems (7,8, 10).

Is it possible to take this application and deploy it via the windows app store? If yes, what changes are needed if any?

Does the windows app store support non-native windows applications like this one written in java? Do we need to integrate with any MS SDK to make it compatible with the windows app store?

Thanks

Hardeep

Tuesday, October 20, 2015 12:10 AM

Answers

• The page I linked discussed four separate preview toolkits  to bridge other technologies onto the Universal Windows platform.

Project Centennial is about packaging and publishing classic Win32 desktop apps. Your Java app likely falls into this category, but I can't say for sure.

The Windows Bridge for iOS and Windows Bridge for Android are separate preview programs which won't apply to you.

• Marked as answer by sanghahs Wednesday, October 21, 2015 12:47 AM
    Wednesday, October 21, 2015 12:17 AM

All replies

• Not at present. In the future take a look at Project Centennial, which will allow packaging and publishing Win32 desktop apps to the Windows Store.  Sign up for updates about “Project Centennial”
    Tuesday, October 20, 2015 12:16 AM
  • Thanks Rob.

So even in the future (with project centennial, it talks about iOS and android applications) it is not possible to package and publish a java application via the windows store?

Tuesday, October 20, 2015 6:28 PM
  • The page I linked discussed four separate preview toolkits  to bridge other technologies onto the Universal Windows platform.

Project Centennial is about packaging and publishing classic Win32 desktop apps. Your Java app likely falls into this category, but I can't say for sure.

The Windows Bridge for iOS and Windows Bridge for Android are separate preview programs which won't apply to you.

• Marked as answer by sanghahs Wednesday, October 21, 2015 12:47 AM
    Wednesday, October 21, 2015 12:17 AM