none
Upgrade Individual Developer Account to Company Account RRS feed

• Question

• Registered an individual developer account a few weeks ago (approved) but turns out that I probably needed a company account. Is there a way to upgrade?

The reason I am asking is that the Windows App Certification Test throws a warning: Warning: The app has declared the following special use capabilities: The app has declared the documentsLibrary capability. Impact if not fixed: If you don’t have a company account with the Windows Store, you won’t be able to upload this app. If you do have a company account, you’ll be required to provide justification during the submission process to support using this capability.

Tuesday, December 25, 2012 8:30 PM

Answers

• Hello Alexander,

While it is not possible to change a developer account from individual to company, support will be able to assist you with creating a new account and transitioning your publisher name and apps. This is not a quick process and it will result in losing your reviews, download history and many other things so you will need to decide how important it is to have this ability in your apps.

Please contact developer support for more details on this process.

-Eric

Friday, January 11, 2013 2:51 AM

All replies

• you can try to do this with contacting support. you cant do this yourself

Microsoft Certified Solutions Developer - Windows Store Apps Using C#

Tuesday, December 25, 2012 9:15 PM
  • Hello Alexander,

While it is not possible to change a developer account from individual to company, support will be able to assist you with creating a new account and transitioning your publisher name and apps. This is not a quick process and it will result in losing your reviews, download history and many other things so you will need to decide how important it is to have this ability in your apps.

Please contact developer support for more details on this process.

-Eric

Friday, January 11, 2013 2:51 AM
  • I think, as a second Open an account
    Saturday, January 12, 2013 12:21 PM
  • Thanks, Eric.  I have the same issue.  How much do you lose moving the App over?  Is it the same as removing it from the store and re-adding it under the new account?  If your app shows up in a "Top" list in the Store, will it then be lost from that list if the download count starts over?  What about proceeds?  Do you lose that?

Is there no better way to do this?

Thanks,

Jeff

Jeff

Tuesday, January 29, 2013 7:39 PM
  • I requested a Company account just so I could access the DocumentLibrary.

I was told that I need to be an actual company instead of a hobby developer.

Is this true?

Microsoft won't  support my vision of building enterprise solutions for the Windows Store if I'm just a lone developer?

Wednesday, March 20, 2013 1:26 AM
  • @Bizmonger so how much of your existing apps you lost? Reviews, download counts and any "top" apps spot in the store listing? I'd like to do the same for tax/financial reasons and the possibility of losing all reviews/download counts is a big deterrent.

Microsoft, any plans here to improve this process? I'd imagine a lot of individual developers will be in the same boat of starting small and incorporating into a sole proprietorship or LLC once they find some success.

Saturday, March 30, 2013 2:02 AM
  • Microsoft, any plans here to improve this process? I'd imagine a lot of individual developers will be in the same boat of starting small and incorporating into a sole proprietorship or LLC once they find some success.

I have the exact same concern - On Apple AppStore this can be done quite easily. As long as you provide them with a DUNS number and incorporation document they will transfer your individual account to company account without losing anything. (I have no idea why some text is smaller and I can't change the font since I am really drunk)

Losing review/upgradeability isn't really an option for productivity and utility app where people expect the app's future update to bring more functionality. 

Remember, not all apps are social & free app

• Edited by yiyayo2 Saturday, March 30, 2013 10:49 PM
    Saturday, March 30, 2013 10:47 PM
  • Hey Eric,

I know this is marked as answered already but seems like it was a bit ago and there are multiple requests on this thread. could you take a look and comment on this?

Tuesday, April 2, 2013 5:12 AM
  • Hi all,

I experience the same issue here, my account is empty no problem if I loose everything, is there anyway to upgrade easily ?

Thanks

Wednesday, March 26, 2014 7:24 PM