[UWP] [Preview SDK] TimedMetadataStreamDescriptor: Can we use this for subtitle playback with MediaStreamSource? RRS feed

• Question

• The latest SDK versions contain a class called TimedMetadataStreamDescriptor. Will this allow us to add subtitles to our MediaStreamSource? MediaStreamSource is currently limited because it only supports audio and video streams, but no subtitle streams. It would be awesome if we could pass our SRT/ASS subtitles to MediaStreamSource with TimedMetadataStreamDescriptor.

The documentation of the class is currently incomplete, and I do not see any media subtypes defined for subtitle formats.

Thursday, March 22, 2018 7:55 PM

All replies

• Hi Lukas F,

This issue is more about the prerelease APIs, you can download and install the Insider Preview SDK to achieve the effect in the Insider Preview version device. If you have any issue about this API, you can feedback it using the Feedback Hub app in your device to report it.

On the other hand, if you have any feature request, you can submit this feature request to the UserVoice website:

https://wpdev.uservoice.com/forums/110705-universal-windows-platform.

Best regards,

Breeze

MSDN Community Support
    Please remember to click "Mark as Answer" the responses that resolved your issue, and to click "Unmark as Answer" if not. This can be beneficial to other community members reading this thread. If you have any compliments or complaints to MSDN Support, feel free to contact MSDNFSF@microsoft.com.

Friday, March 23, 2018 3:09 AM
  • Hi Breeze,

the StreamDescriptor classes are not only used for playback, but also for encoding/transcoding. A lot of their features only works for encoding/transcoding, but not for playback. What I would like to know: Is TimedMetadataStreamDescriptor intended for playback or only for encoding/transcoding? Can someone from the Media team comment on what was the intended use when of adding this class? Just a sentence or two from the Media team should make things clear for me.

I have already submitted a UserVoice entry for this a while back.

https://wpdev.uservoice.com/forums/110705-universal-windows-platform/suggestions/31792825-add-timedtextstreamdescriptor-to-enable-subtitles

Best Regards, Lukas

• Edited by Lukas F Friday, March 23, 2018 1:28 PM
    Friday, March 23, 2018 1:28 PM