The following forum(s) have migrated to Microsoft Q&A (Preview): Developing Universal Windows apps!
Visit Microsoft Q&A (Preview) to post new questions.

Learn More

[UWP]Simulator sometimes goes blank after rotating RRS feed

• Question

• I have an app that I am testing using the Simulator. The app always shows fine when I start it, but then after I rotate the Simulator it sometimes goes blank (nothing is displayed on the Simulator). Sometimes this doesn't happen until it has been rotated 5 or 6 times, sometimes on the first rotation, but almost always few enough that a user would not be happy. Also, once this has happened, I need to close the Simulator or else it will not even display before rotating the next time I start the debugger. This inconsistency and need to close the Simulator leads me to believe that it is a problem with the Simulator rather than my code (but, as always, I could be wrong). Is anybody else having this kind of problem? Does anybody know what the problem could be? Thanks.

Nathan Sokalski njsokalski@hotmail.com http://www.nathansokalski.com/

Monday, November 16, 2015 7:55 PM

Answers

• Hello Nathan,

It is hard to if this caused by the simulator or your code, on my side(I tried to make a simple UWP project and start it with the simulator, and as you described, I rotated it for multi times, however, it could run fine, while this did not make sense since we do not know how you write your code), for this issue, I suggest you could have a try:

1.Build a blank project and start it with the simulator to see if it also has the same result.

2.Try to run your original project on a different machine to check if this could be an environment issue. Or you could just share us the project, we will help make a test with it.

Regards.

We are trying to better understand customer views on social support experience, so your participation in this interview project would be greatly appreciated if you have time. Thanks for helping make community forums a great place.
    Click HERE to participate the survey.

• Proposed as answer by Fred Bao Tuesday, November 24, 2015 9:58 AM
    • Marked as answer by Fred Bao Wednesday, November 25, 2015 8:57 AM
    Tuesday, November 17, 2015 9:04 AM

All replies

• Hello Nathan,

It is hard to if this caused by the simulator or your code, on my side(I tried to make a simple UWP project and start it with the simulator, and as you described, I rotated it for multi times, however, it could run fine, while this did not make sense since we do not know how you write your code), for this issue, I suggest you could have a try:

1.Build a blank project and start it with the simulator to see if it also has the same result.

2.Try to run your original project on a different machine to check if this could be an environment issue. Or you could just share us the project, we will help make a test with it.

Regards.

We are trying to better understand customer views on social support experience, so your participation in this interview project would be greatly appreciated if you have time. Thanks for helping make community forums a great place.
    Click HERE to participate the survey.

• Proposed as answer by Fred Bao Tuesday, November 24, 2015 9:58 AM
    • Marked as answer by Fred Bao Wednesday, November 25, 2015 8:57 AM
    Tuesday, November 17, 2015 9:04 AM
  • I also get this and think it is caused by graphics drivers on the simulator.  Strange as Windows 8 simulator seems fine when I use that.  But then again the whole UWP application development seems less then satisfactory compared with windows 8 applications, especially when you set to build a release and it makes such enormous files after minutes of compiling.

Friday, December 18, 2015 12:20 PM