The following forum(s) are migrating to a new home on Microsoft Q&A (Preview): Developing Universal Windows apps!

Ask new questions on Microsoft Q&A (Preview).
Interact with existing posts until December 13, 2019, after which content will be closed to all new and existing posts.

Learn More

none
[UWP]Does uwp updates automatically in some cases or not ? RRS feed

• Question

• I created new package with new version.

But application installed on another computer is not updated.

Why ?

Q1: I have feeling that before my application got updates.

May be it gets update if I change version. For example from 1.2.x.x to 1.3.x.x

Or application never get updates by themself and I should do it programmatically.

Q2: If yes, where I can find sample code from uwp github

https://github.com/Microsoft/Windows-universal-samples

Media Store</>

• Edited by Breeze Liu Tuesday, March 14, 2017 3:10 AM add tag
    Monday, March 13, 2017 10:09 AM

Answers

• This is incorrect. By default Windows 10 updates apps automatically when a new version is published to the store. The app still needs to handle being unuodated gracefully (e.g. It can't crash if an old version tries to connect to a server that expects a new version) since it may not update immediately and users can disable auto-update. The app can use the store API to check for new versions if absolutely necessary, or for server connections it can check against its own API if the server APA changes. See https://docs.microsoft.com/en-us/uwp/api/windows.services.store
    • Marked as answer by SmartWhy Tuesday, March 14, 2017 2:21 PM
    Monday, March 13, 2017 3:21 PM

All replies

• Hi!

Unfortunately, the UWP application doesn't update automatically. User has to do it manually.

In fact, what I did, is when the application is launching I'm checking the current version of the UWP application in the computer and compare it with the version is available in the Windows 10 Store.

If the 2 versions are different, I open the UWP application's page in the Windows 10 Store in order to give the possibility of the users to update the application.

Hope it wil be useful.

If it's good for you, can you mark this answer as answer of your question please?

Follow me on twitter : https://twitter.com/NordineMhoumadi

Download my NEW FREE application MCP PREPARATION in the Windows 10 Store for preparing your Microsoft Certification or test your skills in Microsoft Technologies;

Monday, March 13, 2017 10:17 AM
  • But Windows Store in settings has

Update apps automaticlly checkbox.

Q: What does "Update apps automaticlly checkbox" checkbox do ?

Media Store

Monday, March 13, 2017 3:09 PM
  • This is incorrect. By default Windows 10 updates apps automatically when a new version is published to the store. The app still needs to handle being unuodated gracefully (e.g. It can't crash if an old version tries to connect to a server that expects a new version) since it may not update immediately and users can disable auto-update. The app can use the store API to check for new versions if absolutely necessary, or for server connections it can check against its own API if the server APA changes. See https://docs.microsoft.com/en-us/uwp/api/windows.services.store
    • Marked as answer by SmartWhy Tuesday, March 14, 2017 2:21 PM
    Monday, March 13, 2017 3:21 PM
  • Hi Rob!

Thanks for your explanations and sorry if I answered wrongly.

So if I understand what you said is that If I install a new version of my application from the Windows 10 Store, It will be updated automatically when user is launching if the user enabled auto-update?

Download my NEW FREE application MCP PREPARATION in the Windows 10 Store for preparing your Microsoft Certification or test your skills in Microsoft Technologies;

Monday, March 13, 2017 4:18 PM
  • Yes. Unless the user disabled automatic updates the app will update automatically.
    Tuesday, March 14, 2017 10:26 PM