none
Migrate windows 8 metro apps to windows phone 8 RRS feed

• Question

• I have developed windows 8 metro apps with c#. Now i have to migrate this application to windows phone 8.

Is there any easy way to migrate windows 8 metro apps to windows phone 8.

Anyhelp would be greatly Appreciated..

Saturday, November 17, 2012 5:08 AM

All replies

• You will need to make some changes to the app for Windows Phone 8. How drastic these are will depend on how the app was written. If you kept a good separation of UI and business logic then you likely can keep the latter. If you wrote it in a Portable Class Library you may be able to use it essentially unchanged.

See Windows Phone 8 and Windows 8 – building together for an overview of writing code to target both, a comparison of the platforms, and suggestions for how to maximize shared code between the two projects.

--Rob

Saturday, November 17, 2012 6:13 AM
  • @Rob

If code is clearly separated then only GUI and their integration part need to be changed or any extra thing need to be taken care.

Is there any way to migrate windows 8 metro apps to Windows 7?

Thanks for you help.

Friday, November 23, 2012 11:43 AM
  • @Dhanns

Have a look at this overview on msdn

My experience with this:

• I use "add as link" for my classes, not portable class library. The latter approach seems to make things only more complicated.
    •  I had to use conditional compiling on only a few lines of code. (#if ... #else)
    •  I could reuse most parts of the GUI just by copy&paste from the win8 xaml form to wp8 xaml and then reformatimg them to fit better to the screen. I use a very clear seperation of UI and app logic and have a very simple UI.
    •  A real problem is if you want to reuse localized strings. It is as far as i know not supported directly. I coded a quick-and-dirty workaround, but this is not very satisfying.
    • Another thing which is very annoying is the matter that live tiles and particuallry the tile updates have a complete different architecture.

I hope MS will find a better solution for the last two points. I think its a bit disappointing that the phone is running in the same Kernel (!), but there is still a lot of friction when we try to migrate (managed!) code from one platform to the other.

Saturday, November 24, 2012 6:21 PM