Some questions about App Studio, before it is replaced RRS feed

• Question

• I've got a couple of Windows 8.x apps in the Store which I put there using App Studio. Honestly, I've not looked at them since before Windows 10 came out. They could probably use some work. This past week I learned that Windows App Studio is going away, to be replaced by Template Studio. I'll get it for Visual Studio 2017 soon.

But for now I'd like to ask a couple of questions about the current situation. First question is should I spend a little time trying to make the Windows 8.x versions better or not? You see, I've added a third app to the Store, but this time I used Visual Studio instead of using App Studio. I also made the 3rd app a Windows 10 app, writing it in XAML. (I'm used to that now.) And its available for Windows 10 desktop, mobile (I've got a Lumia 950 and really wanted this app) and HoloLens. I'm wondering if I should just upgrade the 2 older apps I made with App Studio Windows 10 apps? The question isn't very clear because I had made them to run on Windows Phones, but as I understand it across all the Windows Phones out there, most are not at the Anniversary Update, if they even have Windows 10 Mobile on them anyway. So, would I be better off just leaving it at Windows 8.x? Eventually, I'll want to upgrade those 2 apps to Windows 10 Mobile before App Studio goes away for good, just so that I can have it in a platform I'd rather develop in, but I can wait before App Studio goes away.

Thank you, in advance, for your input.

Rod

Monday, July 3, 2017 1:11 AM

Answers

• Hi Rod,

> First question is should I spend a little time trying to make the Windows 8.x versions better or not?

You may do this if you have enough time. But it's more recommended to spend time on developing Windows 10 apps because it will bring you more revenue and users. Microsoft keeps improving UWP apps and bringing more and more features which may not be supported on Windows 8.x.

>I'm wondering if I should just upgrade the 2 older apps I made with App Studio Windows 10 apps?

Yes. And it's very convenient to convert your existing Windows 8.1 project to a Windows 10 project using App Studio. After you generate packages for Store submission, you do not need to delete the Windows 8.1 version package but just upload a separate UWP package. Then your submission will contain two package. Your Windows 8.1 customers will be updated to get your Windows 10 package if they upgrade to Windows 10.

Thank you.

Best regards,

Mattew Wu

MSDN Community Support
    Please remember to click "Mark as Answer" the responses that resolved your issue, and to click "Unmark as Answer" if not. This can be beneficial to other community members reading this thread. If you have any compliments or complaints to MSDN Support, feel free to contact MSDNFSF@microsoft.com.

• Marked as answer by Doctor-Who Monday, July 3, 2017 6:48 PM
    Monday, July 3, 2017 2:05 AM

All replies

• Hi Rod,

> First question is should I spend a little time trying to make the Windows 8.x versions better or not?

You may do this if you have enough time. But it's more recommended to spend time on developing Windows 10 apps because it will bring you more revenue and users. Microsoft keeps improving UWP apps and bringing more and more features which may not be supported on Windows 8.x.

>I'm wondering if I should just upgrade the 2 older apps I made with App Studio Windows 10 apps?

Yes. And it's very convenient to convert your existing Windows 8.1 project to a Windows 10 project using App Studio. After you generate packages for Store submission, you do not need to delete the Windows 8.1 version package but just upload a separate UWP package. Then your submission will contain two package. Your Windows 8.1 customers will be updated to get your Windows 10 package if they upgrade to Windows 10.

Thank you.

Best regards,

Mattew Wu

MSDN Community Support
    Please remember to click "Mark as Answer" the responses that resolved your issue, and to click "Unmark as Answer" if not. This can be beneficial to other community members reading this thread. If you have any compliments or complaints to MSDN Support, feel free to contact MSDNFSF@microsoft.com.

• Marked as answer by Doctor-Who Monday, July 3, 2017 6:48 PM
    Monday, July 3, 2017 2:05 AM
  • Thank you very much, Matthew! You've answered my questions!

Rod

Monday, July 3, 2017 6:49 PM
  • Yea but if you have ads then you'll have reference errors and you cannot actually run the source code. I've been trying to get some help on this. Idk if no one knows the answer or not but all I did was download source code from a Windows 10 app I just made and there's two ad packages referenced yet only 1 of them has an SDK to download while the other one doesn't seem to exist anywhere. So you can't build, debug, or do anything outside of app studio...
    Saturday, July 8, 2017 4:42 PM
  • I've even turned ads off and downloaded source code but I still can't build getting "Type universe cannot resolve assembly: System.Runtime, Version=4.0.0.0, Culture=neutral, PublicKeyToken=..." AND "Cannot resolve assembly or Windows Metadata file 'System.Runtime.dll'"

I'm at a loss cause I don't change a single thing except make an app using App Studio and if there's an issue I'm told to download source code and debug but I can't even do that, I also can't even get help from any Microsoft experts on their own services that they want people to use. So I don't know what to do. I've spent weeks searching and searching.

Saturday, July 8, 2017 11:58 PM
  • So DanJ210, are you saying that adding ads to an app developed using App Studio tends to have problems? WOW! Maybe I should just forget it.

Rod

Sunday, July 16, 2017 3:39 AM