none
What TLS version is used in Windows Phone 8 for secure HTTP connections?

Question

• Hei,

is TLS v.1.0 the only supported TLS security protocol version in Windows Phone 8? I would like to use TLS 1.1 or 1.2 when creating https-connection using WebClient or HttpWebRequest class. Is there any way to switch on TLS 1.1 or 1.2? My server supports TLS v.1.2, but the connection seems to fallback on using TLS v.1.0 maybe because Windows Phone 8 does not support newer versions...

Thursday, September 19, 2013 11:10 AM

Answers

• This is the answer I received:

"Phone defaults to TLS 1.0 and although TLS 1.1 and 1.2 are technically supported, there is no method exposed to enable them nor are there any plans to add such a method."

Matt Small - Microsoft Escalation Engineer - Forum Moderator
    If my reply answers your question, please mark this post as answered.

NOTE: If I ask for code, please provide something that I can drop directly into a project and run (including XAML), or an actual application project. I'm trying to help a lot of people, so I don't have time to figure out weird snippets with undefined objects and unknown namespaces.

Tuesday, September 24, 2013 7:17 PM

All replies

• I'm checking into this, will update later today.

NOTE: If I ask for code, please provide something that I can drop directly into a project and run (including XAML), or an actual application project. I'm trying to help a lot of people, so I don't have time to figure out weird snippets with undefined objects and unknown namespaces.

Friday, September 20, 2013 12:49 PM
  • Any news about this? :-)
    Tuesday, September 24, 2013 7:29 AM
  • I am waiting for an answer on this, I'll update when I know more.

Tuesday, September 24, 2013 2:15 PM
  • This is the answer I received:

"Phone defaults to TLS 1.0 and although TLS 1.1 and 1.2 are technically supported, there is no method exposed to enable them nor are there any plans to add such a method."

Tuesday, September 24, 2013 7:17 PM